3 month NO Coffee experiment results...

Replies

• tiffany5839
    tiffany5839 Posts: 104 Member
    This is funny! It's probabaly the creamer and sugar people use that makes them gain weight. I only drink a cup a day with a little sugar free creamer and splenda and it has actually HELPED me lose weight and get through my day. Also helps you burn more during work outs! Coffee is actually good for you since there are antioxidents in it:)
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    now im not 100% sure if this could be true just because i havent done enough research but from my own experiences this is my thoughts on the topic...

drinking coffee would dehydrate your body, the caffiene etc. if you dont have enough water in your body a body fat calculator machine thing isnt able to send its current through your body effectivly thus resulting in an inaccurate reading,

for example i had mine measured at 32% december (this is after losing 40lbs) i began weight training etc and got my fat measured 3 months later at 27% (that morning i had gone for a run and drank plenty of water) two days later i had an opportunity to measure it again so i did just for fun and it came in at 33% (i had forgotten my big water bottle that day and didnt drink anything besides a coffee) so somehow my body fat percentage had fluctuated 6% in 2 days, needless to say i was a mess after hearing the 33% but i had lost another 6lbs, over 9 inches and had visibly put on a lot of muscle, so i new the 33% couldnt be accurate (thats why i looked into how the actual machine worked)

so in my theory, maybe your body fat is coming in higher because yuor body is being dehydrated by the coffee, just a thought, i have never given up coffee, drink it everyday, and proud to say my body fat percentage is at 22 now :)
  • abiagioli
    abiagioli Posts: 1 Member
    I swicthed to a cup of hot water and it works great- hydration and the warm comfort.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Interestingly enough, 2 days without coffee and the bags under my eyes are 95% gone. I'm pretty surprised actually. I've changed nothing else.
  • juliekbwell
    juliekbwell Posts: 155 Member
    NVM
  • britaut2
    britaut2 Posts: 19
    Wow, I have been wondering if coffee is affecting my weight. I was never a coffee drinker. I started about 1 1/2 ago because I am always so tired. I drink 16 oz a day in the morning. I may stop and see what happens. I know that I have gained weight in that time period. Also, I have joint pain in my hands and some other areas. It may be age, 49, but it is something to look at.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Wow, I have been wondering if coffee is affecting my weight. I was never a coffee drinker. I started about 1 1/2 ago because I am always so tired. I drink 16 oz a day in the morning. I may stop and see what happens. I know that I have gained weight in that time period. Also, I have joint pain in my hands and some other areas. It may be age, 49, but it is something to look at.

this post has nothing to do with the coffee itself. this post is about the calories in the cream and sugar and other stuff people add to their coffee.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member

this post has nothing to do with the coffee itself. this post is about the calories in the cream and sugar and other stuff people add to their coffee.

I'm the OP and this thread absolutely does have to do with coffee itself (as well as the cream/sugar/sweetners) as well.

As I said in my introductory post i listed 5 negative things I've personally experienced in the past 3 months of NO COFFEE AND THEN REINTRODUCING COFFEE w/cream--but still COFFEE into my diet for a month after not having it (stopping it cold-turkey for 3 solid months) . I believe the coffee itself (NOT THE CREAM--BUT THE COFFEE ITSELF) is responsible for these three negative/counter-productive experiences FOR ME/PERSONALLY :

2.) this coffee is killing my appetite once again. Now, this may sound "good" on the surface--but it's HORRIBLE, because it causes me to severely under eat and a vicious cycle of starving-overeating-starving :sick:

3.) Coffee drinking for just this month is changing my "mood" I find myself "craving" coffee at night (I haven't drank any, but craving it) and find myself short tempered/more impatient than the past 3 month of kicking it to the curb.

4.) Before I started this lifestyle journey and kicking coffee, I used to have joint pain in my hands. When I kicked the coffee habit for 3 months straight, the joint pain in my hands completely disappeared...it's BACK again, now that I'm drinking a cup of coffee daily.

NOTE:

Am I saying coffee drinking is bad (FOR YOU/the reader) plain black or with cream/sugar/whatevah? = NO I AM NOT.

Am I advocating that YOU/reader should stop drinking coffee, black or w/cream, etc.? .= NO I AM NOT.

Am I saying that those who may choose to experiment and try not having coffee w/cream and without are not thinking (i.e. dumb,stupid, ignorant, foolish etc.) ?
    NO I AM NOT.

Am I saying that those who shall continue to enjoy their coffee black, w/cream, sugar, etc. are not thinking ((i.e. dumb,stupid, ignorant, foolish etc.)? NO I AM NOT.

Am I a qualified scientist that has done extensive research and making a blanket statement that coffee black or w/cream is bad for me, therefore it's bad for you? NO I AM NOT.

Am I saying that coffee black or with cream is good for you? NO I AM NOT

WHAT AM I SAYING, WHAT IS THIS THREAD ALL ABOUT THEN???????

I AM saying that for ME/PERSONALLY coffee (black) with cream is NOT GOOD FOR ME--perhaps it's not good for you, perhaps it's the next best thing to life for you--this thread is about how/what I personally feel. I think I would be a jerk above all jerks (to put it mildly at best and ignorant as all get out at least) to DARE insinuate that my personal experience with coffee is the be all and end all coffee drinking. Frankly, I'm not sure what's causing what--just reporting what I've discovered in 3 months of NO COFFEE (again :yawn: that'd be with cream and for coffee itself/black).

LASTLY, Anyone that would try to convince anyone else that what's good or bad for them AS INDIVIDUALS (diet, lifestyle, choices in general) will be/is good or bad for someone else is tripping HARD :noway: :huh: ...but even that way of thinking is MY PERSONAL OPINION AND BELIEF...NOT A FACT:laugh:

Just FYI:wink:
  • juliekbwell
    juliekbwell Posts: 155 Member
    Where is the "cat with retracting claws" smiley when you need one?! RAWWWWRRRRR!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Where is the "cat with retracting claws" smiley when you need one?! RAWWWWRRRRR!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :heart: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm sorry and readily admit my "cattiness" (cattiness is ugly as :devil: ) I just want folk to be clear where I'm coming from and more importantly...where I'm NOT coming from.

:flowerforyou: for/to EVERYONE for my catty "tude"
  • This, this! This is what I've been looking for! I've gone up and down struggling with my weight. I've done tons of diets, tons of lifestyle changes. But I never wanted to kick the coffee habits (mind you I drink mochas, lattes, ect). Now that I get coffee of my choice all day, unlimited, it's even harder than before when I'd stop by my favorite coffee stand on my way to my second job. Then I spent $35 on coffee a week!
    I never thought coffee was probably one of my biggest issues. I cut out all other caffeinated drinks, didn't eat sweets, absolutely NO FASTFOOD, but this one.
    You know what? You're right. I got down to my 160s from 179-182lbs in just 2 months when I cut out coffee. I hadn't felt that great in a long time, but the moment I added coffee into my normal eating habits all the weight started coming back. All my hard work flew out the door in 8 short months. I gained almost 20lbs back and I feel/look gross. My stomach is back and yucky as ever. I can't stand it, it's painful. My toning, everything is completely gone because I let this dumb little drink control me.

Thank you for sharing your results! I'm totally done with coffee. I'm 21 and I've drank this stuff since I was 10. 11 years in my short life and I already have high cholesterol. I'm scared to even know what my body % is.

Thanks again! <3
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    I've quit coffee 2 times for 6 months or more, but I never noticed any difference. Except for some heartburns.. :P
    Nothing changed for me. I only drink black coffee, no sugar, no milk. And I do drink it quite a lot... so I guess it doesn't do anything for me except fill me need to pour delicious hot liquid down my throat x3 mmmh
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    I love my coffee, I usually three espresso a day (at least one is decafe) with some soy milk. Yum my one and only vice.
  • BeccaJane_x_
    BeccaJane_x_ Posts: 34 Member
    @roxerella - This is really interesting, thanks! I have been drinking too much coffee for years and I have a hormone imbalance... never knew the two were linked. :smile:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    This, this! This is what I've been looking for! I've gone up and down struggling with my weight. I've done tons of diets, tons of lifestyle changes. But I never wanted to kick the coffee habits (mind you I drink mochas, lattes, ect). Now that I get coffee of my choice all day, unlimited, it's even harder than before when I'd stop by my favorite coffee stand on my way to my second job. Then I spent $35 on coffee a week!
    I never thought coffee was probably one of my biggest issues. I cut out all other caffeinated drinks, didn't eat sweets, absolutely NO FASTFOOD, but this one.
    You know what? You're right. I got down to my 160s from 179-182lbs in just 2 months when I cut out coffee. I hadn't felt that great in a long time, but the moment I added coffee into my normal eating habits all the weight started coming back. All my hard work flew out the door in 8 short months. I gained almost 20lbs back and I feel/look gross. My stomach is back and yucky as ever. I can't stand it, it's painful. My toning, everything is completely gone because I let this dumb little drink control me.

Thank you for sharing your results! I'm totally done with coffee. I'm 21 and I've drank this stuff since I was 10. 11 years in my short life and I already have high cholesterol. I'm scared to even know what my body % is.

Thanks again! <3

Sorry you gained all your weight back; but is it coffee or what you put in the coffee? Maybe your caloric intake increased also(20 pounds is 70,000 calories). If you think coffee intake effects your diet then you have found what works for you. Pulling a thread from 2 years ago to basically write out what an easy solution for your weight loss will be, well, I bet most people wished it was this easy. Best of luck.
  • NancyKhuu
    NancyKhuu Posts: 87 Member
    I've never thought coffee could alter weight loss progress. But I can never give it up. Can't wake up without a cup of cappuccino :) I can be a vegetarian (if have to), but I can never give up my coffee. Lol
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    I have gained back 20 pounds from my lowest. I've never cut coffee out completely, but in the past year I've gone back to getting coffee on my way to work, on my way home, whenever I drive by a shop, etc. I'm sure that's what contributed to my weight gain. I'm back to brewing my own decaf and drinking it black. No cream, no syrups, no sugar.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I do not understand how anyone can be "loving" this post. Sorry. But the coffee in question may have nothing to do with weight loss or body fat % what-so-ever seeing as how you drastically - VERY DRASTICALLY - changed your ENTIRE diet at the same time.

word.

I agree.
    This is really odd to me.
    T2D here, so many things have been eliminated from my diet but, my morning cuppa joe?! :sick:

What I got from the OP is that she changed a number of things all at the same time, and has concluded that the catalyst for becoming 'unhinged' was coffee.

I find it hard to believe that the ONE culprit is coffee :ohwell: but I feel it's more in the way things relate to each other rather than one thing alone, if that makes any sense :laugh:

Regardless, OP, somehow, you've found a way to make this work for you, and that's worth celebrating :drinker:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    I don't like it when people blame coffee for their sugar and cream problems.

Nail on the head. LOL.

:laugh:

yes. I'm reading this thread backwards...wut?
  • nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    I love how people are reading the first 10-12 posts of the thread, then posting their agreements with OP.

For every study that you find linking coffee to weight gain, I can find a more recent study that will say the exact opposite.

It's basic math... Calories In - Calories Out = Gain/Loss in weight. Most coffees are between 0-5 calories per cup and are therefore pretty negligible.

The coffee is just an avenue for other dietary missteps... be it the creamer, the sugar, the donut with the coffee, the cigarette, etc.

When I started my program about 5 months ago, I did not drink ANY coffee... about 2-3 months ago, I started drinking coffee in the mornings because I was getting sick of plain water. Guess what... I have about 3-4 cups on an average day, and it has had ZERO impact on my weight loss. I drink my coffee black, with a squirt of stevia though... no cream, no sugar, no pastry, etc.

Scientifically, and anecdotally, I just don't buy it. There's nothing inherent in coffee that will make you gain weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!