Sports Bra at the gym - appropriate or not?

Replies

• michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    The second my tummy looks the way I want it to I'll wear nothing but sports bras all the time everywhere I go forever and ever for the rest of my life. :)
  • If you're doing cardio and you're more comfortable in a sports bra - go for it. If you're lifting weights on a bench or doing wall sits or anything where your torso is touching equipment, cover up. Guys should do the same. Some gyms don't let guys work out shirtless and the same should go for women in just bras.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    I like it, its better than watching TV...
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    If the woman wearing it is someone I would want to see in a sports bra then yes. If not, then no.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I only do this during hot yoga classes, because loose fitting shirts aren't an option (hangs all over your face in inverted positions) and tight fitting tops are too hot. Otherwise, my gym is at a reasonable temperature for working out and I don't feel the need. I absolutely don't do it for attention and I hope the fact that I'm pouring sweat from every inch of my body makes that clear.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Go buck naked with some good tennis shoes.
  • Valerie_Malone
    Valerie_Malone Posts: 59 Member
    I say go for it if that's what you want, but I wouldn't do it because I'm a germ-a-phobe. I wouldn't want to pick up ring worm or some other fungus from just leaning up against something. It's happened to someone I know.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    If you are comfortable in it, wear it, i don't see how a sports bra can be inappropriate at the gym.

I work at home now but when I did go to the gym I always wore my sports bra with leggings or sweats.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I say go for it if that's what you want, but I wouldn't do it because I'm a germ-a-phobe. I wouldn't want to pick up ring worm or some other fungus from just leaning up against something. It's happened to someone I know.

I'm not sure how this is a factor unless you wear a turtleneck, gloves, and pants to the gym.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    I cut my workout t-shirts. The arm holes on each side go from the shoulders down the length of the side of the shirt and almost to the bottom. I have normally worn a "beater" under them, but when I can officially pull off the toned tummy and sports bra look, I will most definitely not be wearing the "beater". I wouldn't go without the shirt though. Actually I probably would but the husband might throw a shirt at me. lol That would be my way of saying I busted my *kitten* to get this body and I am gonna be proud of it. Although I don't think anyone at the gym that I attend wears just a sports bra.

But if you got it, are comfortable doing it and don't mind an occasional stare from someone else, GO FOR IT!!! Personal preference is just that...PERSONAL. :happy:
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Of course it's appropriate - and as far as I'm concerned. what you look like under the sports bra doesn't matter. I don't agree with some of the commenters who say only women with toned stomachs should wear just the bra. Wear what you are comfortable with and what contributes positively to your workout. You are at the gym for you - don't worry about what others think.
    ditto
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    I've seen way worse at the gym besides a woman wearing a sports bra and no shirt.

I don't care. Some people wear old ragged shirts, some wear sweatpants, some wear jeans, some wear tight spandex, some where regular gym clothes...who cares.

That!!!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    If anyone has a problem with it, no matter what your body looks like, it's on THEM and not YOU.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't be comfortable showing that much. There are several women in my gym that workout in sports bras and yoga shorts or pants though.
  • I equate it to dudes working out without shirts. As long as you wipe the machines down, I don't care if you wear a bra, a tank top or a tent.
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Up to you, but please check your bounce factor- I always wonder whether I should say something to some of the other girls at the gym.
  • In military gyms -- or at least at the one in Norfolk where I work out -- the rule is no bare midriffs, which means that women can't work out in sports bras, and men can't work out, or even play basketball. with their shirts off. I think it's okay for a guy to play basketball with his shirt off, especially in pick-up games, but if they want to make this an equality issue, then I understand.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Up to you, but please check your bounce factor- I always wonder whether I should say something to some of the other girls at the gym.
    you should, because surely they dont know that they are bouncing :laugh:
    they might even thank you for noticing something happening with their own body that they had no idea was happening until you pointed it out to them.

with that said i actually had some busy body part of the IBTC suggest i wear a sports bra :laugh: she stopped me after my sprint session on the indoor track. let's just say after i essentially told her to take her deflated t*ts somewhere else and mind her own damn business she'll probably think twice about offering other people advice.
  • MickeyBoo
    MickeyBoo Posts: 196 Member
    I personally wouldn't do it, don't think anyone wants to see that LOL But couldn't really care less if anyone else did, as long as they put a towel down and wiped up any sweat after themselves, male or female. I'm not there to stare at other people I'm there to workout.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    I wear a light t-shirt over my sports bra. When I see women in just the bra, I think they're trying to attract attention.

Being honest here, I have to agree.

I totally agree. Nike, Reebok and Danskin make great workout tanks that help draw away the sweat and keep you cool while working out. In my opinion, sports bras are still bras and belong under your workout clothes. It doesn't seem appropriate and will attract too much attention. I don't go the gym to be anyone's show. Its bad enough my workout clothes are tight but at least they are clothes and don't resemble underclothes. My mom always taught me to keep it classy and not assy. Just saying.