If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

Replies

• FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Laughable notion, I say. LAUGHABLE!

(note sarcasm ;) ).
  • KrystieNye
    KrystieNye Posts: 123 Member
    I used to be the same way, but I found that if I eat a good breakfast (lately, it's been Special K Vanilla Almond cereal w/skim and a banana), and then eat a small snack before lunch (like a yogurt, granola bar, almonds, piece of fruit, etc.) I am not hungry at all. Try adding snacks into your meal plan (I eat breakfast, an AM snack, lunch, a PM snack, dinner, and an evening snack). It's worked very well for me so far. :)
  • ThinUpGirl
    ThinUpGirl Posts: 397
    Bump for later.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Bump.

I'm waiting for a reply to all of the information I gave in my above post.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Bump.

Great response with the citations Chris. What is about a breakfast thread that seems to turn normally reasonable people into breakfast nazi's?? It is well established based on both the sources that Chris cited and many more that nutritional timing is of no consequence. Only total intake and macro nutrient mix. Breakfast does in NO way "kickstart" your metabolism. To the OP, if you'd prefer not to eat breakfast, don't. You will cause yourself no harm. To those that like to and want to eat breakfast, same advice.

For some, eating breakfast will help them manage thier calories for the rest of the day and to not do so would cause overeating later. The opposite is true for others. There is also so benefit to limiting the time frame that you spike insulin and both carbs and protein do that. I follow an 8/16 plan much like leangains recommends. I eat during an 8 hour window from 12 to 8 PM then I don't for 16. I dropping body fat so I'm guessing my metabolism is chugging along just fine.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Bump.

Hey man, I'm giving you a free bump, and I also wanted to say that I am VERY interested in your information. I have always been a 6-7 small meals kind of girl, but recently I have found that my entire life has begun to revolve around food--from the moment I wake up....if I'm not eating food, I'm thinking about food, cooking food, buying food, planning food logs, etc, etc. Honestly, even though I'm getting good results, I'm feeling incredibly burnt out and I'm just SO DAMN HUNGRY all the time. I eat around 2000 cals and get 150+ gms of protein on average, so I'm eating plenty of food....that just can't be the problem. I don't think it's healthy for me to be planning my entire day around when I need to eat. It's becoming a quality of life issue for me. I have 2 small children, and I have a lot of other things I need to think about....but guess what I end up thinking about anyway?? You guessed it!!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but that's the main reason I'm suddenly interested in IF....I really like things simple, and even though I've tried to keep it simple, I'm obviously failing.

So I'm going to do some more research and check into the group you mentioned previously. I'm a little bit concerned that I'll have trouble with energy during my morning workouts if I'm fasting, but honestly I'm not sure how much longer I can continue doing this otherwise.
  • crisanderson27
    Bump.

Hey man, I'm giving you a free bump, and I also wanted to say that I am VERY interested in your information. I have always been a 6-7 small meals kind of girl, but recently I have found that my entire life has begun to revolve around food--from the moment I wake up....if I'm not eating food, I'm thinking about food, cooking food, buying food, planning food logs, etc, etc. Honestly, even though I'm getting good results, I'm feeling incredibly burnt out and I'm just SO DAMN HUNGRY all the time. I eat around 2000 cals and get 150+ gms of protein on average, so I'm eating plenty of food....that just can't be the problem. I don't think it's healthy for me to be planning my entire day around when I need to eat. It's becoming a quality of life issue for me. I have 2 small children, and I have a lot of other things I need to think about....but guess what I end up thinking about anyway?? You guessed it!!

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but that's the main reason I'm suddenly interested in IF....I really like things simple, and even though I've tried to keep it simple, I'm obviously failing.

So I'm going to do some more research and check into the group you mentioned previously. I'm a little bit concerned that I'll have trouble with energy during my morning workouts if I'm fasting, but honestly I'm not sure how much longer I can continue doing this otherwise.

PM me your email, and I'll send you the book that the quotes and references above come from. The author recommends one to two (more is ok within reason) 24hr fasts a week, and normal eating schedules for the rest of the week (meaning you can eat breakfast, or not...lunch, or not...dinner, or not, as long as you get your regular maintenance caloric intake in).

It's incredibly liberating from the whole 'must eat 90x a day!' mentality...and I have to admit, that's a LARGE part of the beauty of it. The health and fat loss benifits are almost SECONDARY lol.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Hi....I wake up at 5, work by 7 and then start with black coffee until 9. I then have something with protein, like a shake or cream of wheat. This really helps me. Good luck!!!!
  • mmapags
    Hi....I wake up at 5, work by 7 and then start with black coffee until 9. I then have something with protein, like a shake or cream of wheat. This really helps me. Good luck!!!!

Just for clarity's sake, a serving of Cream of wheat has 19 grams of protein and 134 grams of carbohydrates. That's more than 1/2 my daily intake of carbs at 200 lbs. There are better sources of protein. You refer to a shake, some of those are very high in carbs also. Nothing wrong with carbs. They are just one macro in the mix but it's important to be accurate and realistic as to what your intake is.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.
    You're hungry because eating more often during the day raises your metabolism. That's why most diet plans have you eat more frequent but smaller meals. Just spread your calories out over 5 or 6 meals a day. Eat more protein and fiber as well to keep you gull longer.

These are both completely, totally inaccurate.

I haven't eaten breakfast in a year (excepting some weekends where I make it for my kids...who can resist french toast, bacon, and eggs?)...because very simply, if I do...I want food all day.

Like...bad lol.

That whole crap about your metabolism being sped up by multiple meals is absolute garbage. If you don't eat for 24hrs, it's been PROVEN in multiple studies that your metabolism actually SPEEDS up. Your body begins producing beneficial things like growth hormone and adrenaline as well...that tell your body to oxidize fat. That metabolic increase (and the hormonal response) slowly falls off, and then actually begins to decrease from the initial levels after SEVENTY-TWO whole hours. This doesn't mean you shouldn't eat for 72hrs...but it certainly means that you don't have to eat 6 meals a day to 'keep your metabolism' revved up.

So...skip breakfast if it works for you...you certainly don't have to feel guilty about it as long as you're still getting in all of your healthy calories for the day.

A little manners goes a long way. I'm not going to say that's "crap" when I say I've read more studies that support the first two claims than the study you're referencing. And science is weight of evidence.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    I had a Doctor tell me if you aren't hungry don't eat...

I :heart: this post
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    You're hungry because eating more often during the day raises your metabolism. That's why most diet plans have you eat more frequent but smaller meals. Just spread your calories out over 5 or 6 meals a day. Eat more protein and fiber as well to keep you gull longer.

This has been largely debunked. Feel free to skip the breakfast if it works for you, as many people have mentioned, Intermittent Fasting is become very popular and there are a few studies supporting it's benefits.
  • crisanderson27
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

These are both completely, totally inaccurate.

I haven't eaten breakfast in a year (excepting some weekends where I make it for my kids...who can resist french toast, bacon, and eggs?)...because very simply, if I do...I want food all day.

Like...bad lol.

That whole crap about your metabolism being sped up by multiple meals is absolute garbage. If you don't eat for 24hrs, it's been PROVEN in multiple studies that your metabolism actually SPEEDS up. Your body begins producing beneficial things like growth hormone and adrenaline as well...that tell your body to oxidize fat. That metabolic increase (and the hormonal response) slowly falls off, and then actually begins to decrease from the initial levels after SEVENTY-TWO whole hours. This doesn't mean you shouldn't eat for 72hrs...but it certainly means that you don't have to eat 6 meals a day to 'keep your metabolism' revved up.

So...skip breakfast if it works for you...you certainly don't have to feel guilty about it as long as you're still getting in all of your healthy calories for the day.

A little manners goes a long way. I'm not going to say that's "crap" when I say I've read more studies that support the first two claims than the study you're referencing. And science is weight of evidence.

I'm sorry that you're unable to pick up on what 'manners' I actually possess over the internet.

As to the part of your post that is actually on topic, I didn't reference ONE study, I referenced at least four, with dozens more referenced on the website I linked.

I've yet to see you reference ONE study that proves that metabolism is increased by eating (TEF doesn't count...as it's so minimal as to be irrelevant).
  • mmapags
    Bump.

I think you'll like leangains. It just takes the focus of "what am I eating next" and put food in a very manageble place in your life. It eat 2x per day. Maybe a mid afternoon snack of nuts or something but it's just not my focus. And believe me, I love to eat!! You have made amazing progress over the last few month. We tend to post on many similar threads so I've followed your story for a couple of months. Great job!! You are doing awesome!! I tend not to struggle with morning workouts as I still have plenty left from a dinner. I tend to eat late and have a protein shake not long before bedtime. It really hasn't been an issue. I eat last at around 6 or 7 and don't eat again til 12 on non workout days and a protein shake after a workout morning then nothing else til noon.
  • roro73
    roro73 Posts: 153 Member
    Listen to your body, and do what works best for you. Everyone is different. You will know what to do if you're truly in tune with your body.

^^^^^^^^ THIS!!

Everybody is different and you have to experiment until you find what works best for you to stay within your calorie budget (that's really all that matters). For me, if I skip a meal I'm ravenous at the next meal and will totally lose control and give in to the slightest temptation (which is a daily occurrence in my office). I've recently discovered that "power spacing" my meals really works and keeps me satisfied all day long. I eat about six 200-300 calorie meals spaced every couple of hours and it keeps me from going overboard, keeps my energy level consistent and I'm totally satisfied. Figure out what's best for your body and as long as you're eating at a defecit you're golden!
  • mmapags
    And science is weight of evidence.

Agreed! So when do you intend to post something other than your opinion without a basis for it? Chris has posted a bunch. What you got??
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Bump.

I think you'll like leangains. It just takes the focus of "what am I eating next" and put food in a very manageble place in your life. It eat 2x per day. Maybe a mid afternoon snack of nuts or something but it's just not my focus. And believe me, I love to eat!! You have made amazing progress over the last few month. We tend to post on many similar threads so I've followed your story for a couple of months. Great job!! You are doing awesome!! I tend not to struggle with morning workouts as I still have plenty left from a dinner. I tend to eat late and have a protein shake not long before bedtime. It really hasn't been an issue. I eat last at around 6 or 7 and don't eat again til 12 on non workout days and a protein shake after a workout morning then nothing else til noon.

Thanks-- I'm researching Leangains right now. For my sanity's sake, I think I need to make some changes. This is all such a learning/changing/growing process.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    skipping breakfast is fine, the metabolism stuff is a myth
    THIS!! i had the same problem. i was told the breakfast stuff is a myth and as long as i dont skip breakfast and pig out at lunch.. there is no problem. a lot of people apparently skip it and get really hungry and eat WAY more at lunch than they would with breakfast/lunch combined otherwise. but some of us arent big breakfast people. i eat if im hungry. i dont rush into it though if im not. :-)
  • crisanderson27
    Bump.

Thanks-- I'm researching Leangains right now. For my sanity's sake, I think I need to make some changes. This is all such a learning/changing/growing process.

For sure!

As I mentioned above (not sure if you saw), if you send me your email, I'll send you a first print copy of ESE. It goes into a LOT more detail about IF itself, and why it works.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Bump.

You will love it based on what you have stated about being able to manage meals. It really has changed my life. Plus I have a nice 23 lbs loss with minimal LBM loss to show for it. I will say that I lift heavy though so I can't give diet full credit. But clearly my metabolism has not suffered.