If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

Replies

• DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

So going 12-13 hours without eating screws up your metabolism?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    The reason is it gets your metabolism revved up. The worst thing you can do is skip breakfast. Key to losing is keeping your metabolism going! Plan a snack between breakfast and lunch to help with it. Starving yourself or skipping meals wont help you lose weight...it does the opposite.

So going 12-13 hours without eating screws up your metabolism?

Apparently this is their belief. I mean, four specific studies referenced, and dozens more referenced from another website...clearly mean nothing in comparison to their anecdotal evidence.

Oh, and the one ladies 'multiple studies' that she's read that prove otherwise.
  • bumping this is a great topic which I also struggle with but min happens right after I eat lunch I find myself eating my snack a n hour or so after my lunch.
  • crisanderson27
    bumping this is a great topic which I also struggle with but min happens right after I eat lunch I find myself eating my snack a n hour or so after my lunch.

I rarely eat until around 1pm, and rarely eat past 8 or 9pm. 1-2 meals, and whatever I want to snack on...and staying within my calorie limit is still relatively easy.
  • DocJiggs
    DocJiggs Posts: 1
    I am a Doctor - An internist. Lets dismiss all these answers as mostly they are all miscorrect. First, you should not skip breakfast even if your not hungry. have a piece of toast or even a glass of milk, some sort of energy.The reason most people are not hungry is they have been fasting for at least 10 hrs. Hence Break / Fast. The body goes into a mode thinking it is starving, so it stores the calories it has and turns off the your brains hunger mode. This is done by the brain receiving the additional hormone Serotonin, this stops the hunger phase. When food is introduce into your system, metabolism plays no role in your body's function as far as food is concern. Food starts your body to break down the food and release sugar into your system, when this occurrs, your body starts to feel no hungry and energy is coming intoplay. Caffeine has no role with the brain giving you hunger or energy-ridiculous! Caffeine actuall stimulate your pancreas. The pancreas in turn delivers stored sugar-reserved- into your bloodstream to give you immediate energy and take away any hunger the body is asking your for. Caffien does not created energy, it gives the body the signal to push out from the pancreas the stored in it which converts to energy. When the body is energetic it is NOT hungry. However the moment your sugar level starts to decrease, you start to feel hungry - which is a couple hours afterwards. If no caffeine is taken in, the body wants food to create energy. later in the day yoour body will use your lunch for 5 - 6 hrs to carry you through the day, converting it into sugar. Any unused sugar is stored again the pancrease. Metabolism regulates body heat, regulates how much energy your body needs to run perfectly and repair itself each day. Metabolism is a trigger center or the supervisor of the body. It only sends mesages pout, that the body sends into it. It in turns advises the "department" for which is needed to make the body operate properly. That is why people say "To start your metabolism". It has nothing to do with weight control or many other functions people think it controls. Breakfast creates sugar which awakens th epancreas with its orders. basically telling the pancreas, "Hold your Sugar, I have some fresher product here to get the day going"! Metabolism is just creating hormones to singal the various body parts what is needed to be done to create a healthy, energized body.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,931 Member
    I am a Doctor - An internist. Lets dismiss all these answers as mostly they are all miscorrect. First, you should not skip breakfast even if your not hungry. have a piece of toast or even a glass of milk, some sort of energy.The reason most people are not hungry is they have been fasting for at least 10 hrs. Hence Break / Fast. The body goes into a mode thinking it is starving, so it stores the calories it has and turns off the your brains hunger mode. This is done by the brain receiving the additional hormone Serotonin, this stops the hunger phase. When food is introduce into your system, metabolism plays no role in your body's function as far as food is concern. Food starts your body to break down the food and release sugar into your system, when this occurrs, your body starts to feel no hungry and energy is coming intoplay. Caffeine has no role with the brain giving you hunger or energy-ridiculous! Caffeine actuall stimulate your pancreas. The pancreas in turn delivers stored sugar-reserved- into your bloodstream to give you immediate energy and take away any hunger the body is asking your for. Caffien does not created energy, it gives the body the signal to push out from the pancreas the stored in it which converts to energy. When the body is energetic it is NOT hungry. However the moment your sugar level starts to decrease, you start to feel hungry - which is a couple hours afterwards. If no caffeine is taken in, the body wants food to create energy. later in the day yoour body will use your lunch for 5 - 6 hrs to carry you through the day, converting it into sugar. Any unused sugar is stored again the pancrease. Metabolism regulates body heat, regulates how much energy your body needs to run perfectly and repair itself each day. Metabolism is a trigger center or the supervisor of the body. It only sends mesages pout, that the body sends into it. It in turns advises the "department" for which is needed to make the body operate properly. That is why people say "To start your metabolism". It has nothing to do with weight control or many other functions people think it controls. Breakfast creates sugar which awakens th epancreas with its orders. basically telling the pancreas, "Hold your Sugar, I have some fresher product here to get the day going"! Metabolism is just creating hormones to singal the various body parts what is needed to be done to create a healthy, energized body.

What? Stellar first post, "doctor". Always nice to have new members come in and start with "All these answers are wrong." You didn't take a stand, just stated a bunch of unrelated stuff about metabolism or about sugar/pancreas or serotonin. How does this play into the "I don't like to eat breakfast" statement?

Your wall of text with no structure and no subject is not adding to this discussion at all. You haven't addressed anything more than some basic body functions, from what I can gather.

Oh, and there are other doctors here. Welcome. :flowerforyou:

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    If I eat breads and cereals for breakfast (toast, bagels, waffles, etc) I am hungry all day. But if I eat protein and fruit I am full and energized.
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    I'm the same and so is my dad. I think it's because when you start eating breakfast, after never doing it before, you're metabolism goes up which makes you hungrier earlier. I find it hard to eat when I've just woken up, I have to give it at least an hour or two or I feel sick. Now I'm starting to prepare my breakfast which gives me some time to wake up and get my appetite going.
  • magentamorbid
    magentamorbid Posts: 47 Member
    To be honest I stopped reading after all the spelling and grammatical errors. It's not the mistakes, it's the general lack of trying to type properly that turns me off, especially on such a large wall of text.
  • crisanderson27
    I'm the same and so is my dad. I think it's because when you start eating breakfast, after never doing it before, you're metabolism goes up which makes you hungrier earlier. I find it hard to eat when I've just woken up, I have to give it at least an hour or two or I feel sick. Now I'm starting to prepare my breakfast which gives me some time to wake up and get my appetite going.

I'm sorry but this is completely untrue. Ten jumping jacks has more effect on your metabolism than any meal does.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I'm sorry but this is completely untrue. Ten jumping jacks has more effect on your metabolism than any meal does.

^^True. It's does nothing to get your metabolism going. All it does is introduce food after a fast and start the satiety/hunger cycle causing the interaction of insulin, leptin and gherlin. For some, this results in better satiety and more dietary control. for others, me included, it just causes me to want to eat more over the course of the day much like the OP.
  • Ghislainee
    Ghislainee Posts: 1 Member
    I am the same way. No matter what I eat for breakfast, I am starving all day. Today, I am just drinking coffee with milk and will eat my lunch around 11:00 am. Everyone is different and therefore our bodies react to things differently. I am usually never hungry in the morning and I eat breakfast just because that's the norm. I am now learning to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry...Good luck!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    You should eat in the morning to replace the materials lost durning night time regeneration.
    I'm a time lord!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I am a huge breakfast person but I don't think you are doing anything wrong by doing what works for YOU!

If I eat mini meals/snacks all day long (which I understand is not what you do, but just an example)... I never feel satisfied! I could eat probably 2,500 calories of mini meals and still feel like "where is dinner??" but I am satisfied on 1,400 calories when I eat 3 meals.

Everyone's different!
  • livingfree44
    livingfree44 Posts: 20 Member
    Every book I have on nutrition...that is written by experts...doctors...nutritionists ...all strongly urge us to eat breakfast. It is a fact that it gets our metabolism to start burning in the morning...its like a fire...unless we keep putting a log in the fire...it will die out...even if you have a light breakfast...a smoothie...eat every two to three hrs...small snacks or meals...keep putting the log in the fire...to go four or five hrs between eating is tooooo long....breakfast...means...BREAK THE FAST. :happy:
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Well, it's an old topic but since it got bumped...breakfast makes me both ravenous and nauseous. Lately I've been eating half a cup to a cup of full fat plain yogurt (it's the only thing that doesn't make me utterly sick) but I'm sure that won't last. I've always felt this way. I quit eating breakfast a good 20 years ago in middle school. I've heard the metabolism lies and tried my hand at breakfast and it didn't work. It just makes me hungry, I eat a morning snack, big lunch, afternoon snack and full dinner. Seriously, breakfast adds 1000 calories to my day.

The entire breakfast myth annoys me. Our bodies are evolved for stages of feast and fast. Our ancestors were hunter gatherers. they never knew when their next meal was coming and their bodies were able to make good use of food when they had it and function at a high level without it. If breakfast and six other meals were critical our ancestors would have died out 100,000 years ago.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Every book I have on nutrition...that is written by experts...doctors...nutritionists ...all strongly urge us to eat breakfast. It is a fact that it gets our metabolism to start burning in the morning...its like a fire...unless we keep putting a log in the fire...it will die out...even if you have a light breakfast...a smoothie...eat every two to three hrs...small snacks or meals...keep putting the log in the fire...to go four or five hrs between eating is tooooo long....breakfast...means...BREAK THE FAST. :happy:
    You've been snafued then. Here's the truth:

Metabolism NEVER stops until you're dead. Why does one weigh less upon waking up? It certainly wasn't due to a stopped metabolism.

It is NOT a fact that breakfast "starts" a metabolism in the morning. A person who is alive in the morning already has metabolism going. Breakfast can give one more "energy" to do things, but it doesn't "jumpstart" metabolism.

Try reading actual peer reviewed clinical research instead of books by "experts" who just want to sell you their ideas and programs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Your argument is invalid cause..science.
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    I only eat if I'm hungry which I usually am... but I find that eating protein with some fat will keep me full a very long time.

Veggies & eggs with cheese or bacon
    Protein shake with coconut oil or ground flax
    Left over chicken or steak & avocado

I agree!!!
  • tottie06
    tottie06 Posts: 259 Member
    You can skip breakfast. it doesn't really matter.

However I do want to say that I had the same thing. Breakfast made me hungry all day, but that was because I was eating a ton of carbs for breakfast... Bagels, muffins, bread. I eat yogurt and fruit for breakfast and it doesn't cause my appetite to go out of control anymore.

So true!! Certain carbs make me feel famished for the rest of the day.