Nutrition & Sleep

Options
sportygal
sportygal Posts: 221 Member
Hello All!
I hope you are feeling good today, whether it's mind, spirit and hopefully the body is recovering. I had to talk with my coach yesterday and tell him I had to take some time off, which practically killed me. There is a lot I can do to train, but I can tell my body just needs a break from anything, to heal faster. Gosh I slept over 8 hours & I know lack of sleep is probably why I got injured... Sleep is very important for recovery and your muscles don't have time to recover if you don't sleep regularly. Now, I'm pretty good about going to sleep at a reasonable hour, but due to premenoupause and loud neighbors, I wake up in the middle of the night and don't get back to sleep. Anyway, my point, is sleep is important to recovery!! You can lose weight by sleeping regularly and eating right! Read Lights Out-Sleep, Sugar & Survival by T.S. Wiley & it will open your mind!
Now to Nutrition....Eating right and at regular intervals is crucial. You CAN lose weight even when you are injuried. If you cut 500 calories every day for a week, you can lose a pound. There are 3500 calories in one pound. Now mind you, if you cut your calories too low, then you won't lose the weight the right way (e.g. water weight, muscle mass) But even if you cut out one latte a day in two weeks you'd lose a pound.
I can't say it enough, but cooking your meals and not eating things that come from a box and you will lose weight. Just cuz the box says Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine, doesn't mean it's healthy. Its full of salt and carbs that won't make you feel full. That being said, don't cut out the fat. Low Fat diets don't work. Choosing nuts, seeds, olive oil, avacado are healthy fat choices and they will fill you up. Moderation of course! But riddle me this....do you think you could eat a box of fried rice and box of chow mein, or 5 avacados? Refined grains and carbs make you crave more carbs, but I don't think you'd be wanting another helping of Avacado! Read Enter the ZONE by Barry Sears. It is amazing how a balanced diet will help you create a healthy lifestyle. If you really want a good read the Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf & he has a great website....basically nutrition should come down to five things. Meat, Nuts, Seeds, Fruits, Veggies.......If you can Kill it or pull it out of the ground...EAT IT! So go out there and be dilligent in what you eat, because You ARE what you EAT!