New Running Shoe suggestions

13»

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Get fitted in a running store.
    This is the best advice. My guy filmed me and all that jazz and suggested Brooks.
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    I'm a big Asics fan and LOVE my speedstar gels. They are super light (7 oz) and come in aqua/black and hot pink/orange.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    The best running shoes are the ones that work for you. A fitting at a good running store can steer you down the right road (much better than asking a bunch of people on the Internet who like their shoes because they fit their feet/gait-which may or may not correlate to your feet/gait). I went to a running store, learned I needed a mild stability shoe, made like Cinderella and tried on what felt like 200 pairs of shoes. I picked the pair that felt like a dream when I ran at the store-they made my feet go numb when I ran for 4+ miles. So I trekked back to the running store and we went through the whole process again. Left with another pair that felt good-only to have this pair "overcorrect" and give me itbs issues. So rinse and repeat back to the running store-shoes either mare my feet numb or gave me the itbs issue-back and forth 7 times. Finally found a winner. For me, it's a saucony hurricane. But that's me-not necessarily going to work for you. I tried a number of shoes listed above and they didn't work for me. But going to the local running store made it so all those returns & exchanges were free (even though I had run outside-on trails in most), and rather than staring at a sea of available shoes and wondering what to get-the running store pulled out the shoes with the wide enough toe box, the level of support/stability I needed, and the level of cushioning I prefer (which may or may not correlate to what you need/like). So go to a running store-they will help you find what you need.
  • crowmike
    crowmike Posts: 1
    I would agree that it depends on how long/far you run, if you pronate, etc. It's a good idea to get to a running store and get fitted. Personally, I pronate really bad. I choose the Progrid Stabil 2 by Saucony. I replace the "shoe sock" with New Balance inserts. They make all the difference in the world. Good luck on your goals!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    A1 suggestion is: GET FITTED.

Other than that, I'm perfectly neutral so I ran in "neutral"/"cushion" shoes. The worst were Adidas Adistar (heel was actually too high and I PAID for that with a major injury) The best were Nike Vomero (4, 5 and 6) until I transitioned into Nike Free Run.

I run in Free now.

I also used Asics Gel Nimbus (8,9, 10, 11) and Pearl Izumi Syncrofloat (III I would have stuck with these if they had lasted longer, but they broke down after about 300 miles)

Again, I'm neutral. You might not be.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    You should have your gait analyzed to find the perfect shoe for you.

Brooks and Asics are a great brand.
  • corinne1977
    corinne1977 Posts: 142 Member
    I have a wide foot and Asics is the only shoe I've found to not feel snug in the toes. I just bought the Gel Nimbus 13 and I love them.