Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Replies

• nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Thanks for Sharing...Indeed it was very informative...
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    After watching the video I started looking at some of the food labels. I had quite a shock!:noway:
    The fat free Nesvita pro-bones milk I've been using has FRUCTOSE in it.
    I know I had read somewhere that to look out for added sugars in low/non fat foods. This is beyond a joke- reducing fat only to add sugars instead! :mad:
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Watching this video is why I stopped buying bread too. We've not been able to find bread that doesn't have sucrose or high fructose corn syrup or molasses or honey or some other sweetener in it. We've switched to making our own bread at home where we can control the amount of sodium and sugar (if any) we put into it.

Sadly, I'm finding there is a learning curve with making your own bread though. I'm not very good at it.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    oh boy i think after reading this i'm going to be very wary of sugars...imma check everything i eat and try to eat less than 25sugars a day (not counting fruit and vegetable sugars)

My friend and I, over the years, have talked about why people are so obese and have cellulite at younger ages, and why the older people, like our mom's, don't have these problems. It might just have to do with this conspiracy to load us up with HFCS, like Dr. Lustig explains! And it all goes back to the age-old prob: greed.

And now, I see in another thread, that there's a new movie out called Food, Inc. There's a clip on youtube. I'm gonna rent it when it comes out on dvd! Netflix has Supersize Me! on instant, and that sure is informational!

Thanks so much for sharing I'll be watching the video shortly! I found some info on HFCS and posting a short while ago, not sure if it was the same guy, but I'm interested enough now to go back and check my posts! :)

Netflix has some AWESOME food industry films that are pretty shocking and certainly make it very clear why our Country is going the way it is Health wise, let me know if you would like a few more vids I've seen and also some DVD's in my queu, love my Netflix!!

So much good info, and all sorts of great knowledge to be learned via Food Inc. and so many of the others!

Glad you posted, to get the word out is so important!
    Thank you:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,556 Member
    Watching this video is why I stopped buying bread too. We've not been able to find bread that doesn't have sucrose or high fructose corn syrup or molasses or honey or some other sweetener in it. We've switched to making our own bread at home where we can control the amount of sodium and sugar (if any) we put into it.

Sadly, I'm finding there is a learning curve with making your own bread though. I'm not very good at it.
    No HFCS in Oroweat Sandwich Thins, and they are delicious!
  • Berliner
    Berliner Posts: 20 Member
    thanks for sharing this video. I am still watching it. Like you said in the beginning, I knew enough about sugar and high fructose but there is much more to it.
    One of my really good friends died a year ago from cancer. The Homeopathic Dr urged her not to eat sugar, since cancer cells like that stuff. Agave nectar supposed to be (if you really have to) the better choice.
    It is absolutely hard not to find anything of the grocery shelves that are not loaded with HFCS or other high sugar.:grumble:
    My sugar intake on MFP is very low and with one yogurt and an apple I am pretty much done:laugh:

Well, thanks so much for this info. I am about to add you as my friend!:wink:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Be sure to watch and listen to the lecture, though. It isn't just about demonizing all sugar or HFCS. If I understand correctly his claim is that HFCS and sucrose are identical but they are identically BAD. And the sucrose in fruit isn't nearly as bad because fruit has fiber. But if you take that same fruit, remove the fiber and turn it into a juice, your body will treat it the same way as it would treat a Coke. Lactose in milk, not the same. Sugar in bread? I don't think he addressed that but, presumably, there is fiber in the bread. Not that I want my bread full of sugar, but I don't think it's as bad as drinking sucrose/HFCS.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Bump
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    bump
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    bump
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Am at work so I cannot watch right now, BUT is it only about HFCS in most foods?
  • bump
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Bump

I just watched this. What an eye opener. Almost impossible to avoid unless you cut out processed foods & prepare everything from scratch yourself.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363

That used to be the case, but there are some breads that say right on the front "no high-fructose corn syrup". I avoid it at all costs, and was so happy that some of the bread makers are changing things. I just suggest looking a little closer...things have changed in the bread aisle recently. I second the sandwich rounds too...very good!

I'll watch this video later...maybe it will finally convince my husband why all the sugar he eats is so bad. Just telling him "it's bad for you" doesn't do the trick. Thanks for the link.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member

That used to be the case, but there are some breads that say right on the front "no high-fructose corn syrup". I avoid it at all costs, and was so happy that some of the bread makers are changing things. I just suggest looking a little closer...things have changed in the bread aisle recently. I second the sandwich rounds too...very good!

I'll watch this video later...maybe it will finally convince my husband why all the sugar he eats is so bad. Just telling him "it's bad for you" doesn't do the trick. Thanks for the link.

All of the breads that I've found that do not have HFCS in them have sucrose (sugar) - which is glucose-fructose combined, honey - which is also glucose-fructose combined, molasses - by product of sugar (and so contains fructose) or agave nectar - which is also a fructose product just like HFCS. I'm not just trying to avoid HFCS, I'm trying to avoid ALL sources of fructose that aren't a fruit. So far, I've found a couple with none of these sweeteners by Ecce Panis that Sprout's carries in their deli section and, remarkably enough, Walmart has a few in their deli section. The downfall being, when they take out the sweeteners, they put in the sodium. So it's been a balancing act - and that is why I'm working on homemade bread with minimal sodium and no sweeteners
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    When making bread I only put a teaspoon of sugar with the yeast to start it. The rest is usually flour, one egg, a little olive oil, salt and either water or milk. The choice of the combination is up to you, varying for taste and consistency etc. Why add extra sugar? You'll end up with a doughnut mix.
  • bkthomas2004
    bkthomas2004 Posts: 130 Member
    WOW!!! O_O I eat Yoplait yogurt EVERY morning...it never occured to me to turn the container around and look at the ingredients....and plain as day a few ingredients in....HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP....*sigh*....is there any good yogurt out there that is 'diet' friendly? Aside from plain yogurt?....I'm running out of breakfast ideas....
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    WOW!!! O_O I eat Yoplait yogurt EVERY morning...it never occured to me to turn the container around and look at the ingredients....and plain as day a few ingredients in....HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP....*sigh*....is there any good yogurt out there that is 'diet' friendly? Aside from plain yogurt?....I'm running out of breakfast ideas....

I haven't done a complete search, but I go for plain yogurt. I don't eat it plain, mind you. I put berries or bananas and/or a little honey most of the time. First of all, I would rather be in control of how much sugar goes into it and I would rather have the fiber from the fruit if I am going to have the sugar instead of it just being fruit flavored.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    is there any good yogurt out there that is 'diet' friendly? Aside from plain yogurt?....I'm running out of breakfast ideas....

I have Stonyfield Organics YoKids. No HFCS or fructose or anything else nasty.
  • lisa811
    lisa811 Posts: 363

All of the breads that I've found that do not have HFCS in them have sucrose (sugar) - which is glucose-fructose combined, honey - which is also glucose-fructose combined, molasses - by product of sugar (and so contains fructose) or agave nectar - which is also a fructose product just like HFCS. I'm not just trying to avoid HFCS, I'm trying to avoid ALL sources of fructose that aren't a fruit. So far, I've found a couple with none of these sweeteners by Ecce Panis that Sprout's carries in their deli section and, remarkably enough, Walmart has a few in their deli section. The downfall being, when they take out the sweeteners, they put in the sodium. So it's been a balancing act - and that is why I'm working on homemade bread with minimal sodium and no sweeteners

I see what you're saying. I've mainly been avoiding just HFCS. But I think I better watch this video and maybe rethink it. I'm going to look at the ingredient list of my bread when I get home.