Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    That PT is full of crap! DLs rock!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Deadlifts!

badass-little-man-bodybuilder.gif.pagespeed.ce.9iVbXmCay2.gif

Think you're too young for ILS? Think again.
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 416 Member
    I love deadlifts. I know I've done enough when I pee blood.(just kidding)
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    If deadlifts were easy, they'd be called "ellipticals".

(stolen from Lift Big Eat Big). ha ha.

Ditch the trainer, watch some videos for proper form, and go.

Just hit 135# on Sunday -- got to put on the BIG plates, AND exceeded my body weight. YES!
  • lodicox7
    lodicox7 Posts: 101 Member
    As someone with chronic back problems who cannot do heavy core lifting as a result, my initial reaction is to listen to her. The fact of the matter is you can study form over and over again and practice until you develop great muscle memory in your reps, but all it takes is ONE wrong move and you are done. Like, forever kind of done.

I've been involved with sports my entire life. I rowed collegiately and understood the extreme importance of proper form on a rowing machine. Didn't matter. I made one wrong move and I've paid for it ever since, and I will for the rest of my life. Granted, I later found out I have a congenital vertebral defect that contributes to excess stress on joints in my spine. However, as an X-ray technologist, I know that vertebral defects are extremely common and most people do not know they have them. The fact of the matter is, most people who are at high risk for back injuries have no clue until it's too late.

This may come across as overly dramatic, but if you've never experienced true back pain then you wouldn't understand. I personally believe these kinds of exercises aren't worth the risk. Get a new trainer if you want, but I'd actually respect the advice of someone who recognizes the lasting effects of back injuries and that no one ever truly masters 'good form'.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    My tips for deadlifting:

1. No more then 5 reps a set, add more sets if you want to do more reps. People get sloppy and loose with higher reps which cause injury.
    2. Take a deep breath at the start, push your stomach outwards, and try to flex your *kitten* into your spine.
    3. Try to keep your chest in line with your arms, if possible.

All good advice here.

Also: Until you're strong enough to lift with "big boy" plates, place the bar on something to bring them up to the proper height (step-bench risers work well).

Have someone knowledgeable watch your form. It takes awhile to develop body awareness -- you may thing you're keeping your back straight, when it's actually rounded.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    A personal trainer at my gym told me I shouldn't be doing deadlifts because everybody who does them has crappy form and I'm just asking for an injury. She told me (and I quote) "there are other ways for 'women' to strengthen their back".

She had a couple of other things to say about women bulking up with weightlifting that I didn't care for either.

but I have been worried that I'm doing the deadlifts wrong (my back muscles are sore, but my back doesn't HURT).

Any thoughts?

Yes, people that have bad form will likely hurt their self. That's why you learn proper form and do them right. DL's are a great exercise. And they work your legs more than any other body part although your back, core, arms, shoulders, do come into play.