Healthy Fats? HUH?

2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html
    "Good" fats—monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats—lower disease risk. "Bad" fats—saturated and, especially, trans fats—increase disease risk. Foods high in good fats include vegetable oils (such as olive, canola, sunflower, soy, and corn), nuts, seeds, and fish. Foods high in bad fats include red meat, butter, cheese, and ice cream, as well as processed foods made with trans fat from partially hydrogenated oil. The key to a healthy diet is to choose foods that have more good fats than bad fats—vegetable oils instead of butter, salmon instead of steak—and that don’t contain any trans fat.

Not exactly this either. The thing about trans fats they occur very sparingly in nature (like in cows milk), but many people eat way to much stuff with trans fats. A lot of anything is bad. If you go low fat and start eating things like avocado, nuts, eggs, full fat milk, natural foods so to speak, most find their hair and skin get significantly nicer. That being said I turn into a huge grease ball when I eat a lot of fat. A lot of nutrients in vegetables are also fat soluble so it definitely has it's benefits to eat a reasonable amount of food with real natural fat in them.

I tend to believe the good folks at the Harvard School of Public Health over random posts on the internet, since they spend their lives studying this stuff. But if you follow the link, it does go more in depth about the different types of fat.

Well, most of what they said was correct. But something being 'good' really depends on the rest of someones diet no matter where they went to school. And believe me, I know a lot of dumb people who came out of med school who have made a mistake or 5. I'm not saying anything they said is wrong so to say, just that it was kind of a generalized statement. You shouldn't cut out milk for example if that's where you get a lot of your protein fat and calcium for example. And changing those things to different sources doesn't necessarily mean you'll live longer, be healthier, etc.

Dare to question things, even something coming from the intelligent. Not everyone can think of all the variables associated with what they are saying all the time.

Of course it's a generalized statement. They could hardly generate a page for each individual. Nothing guarantees you'll live longer or healthier, but "in general" following the rules on that site will up your odds.

Which is why I brought up what I did stating "Not exactly this"