• MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    This is all I have to say.

Screenshot_2012-06-13-12-52-01.png

:smile:

Being fit is the healthiest way to be!
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    I just read the rest of this. OP, you had every right to defend yourself, and I think you did so wonderfully. I completely disagree with a lot of the people saying that you should have picked a different title for the thread. I think it's perfect.

It just goes to show you how warped our society is - that women are striving to be 'fragile,' soft, and skinny to the point that they are putting themselves in danger. It also goes to show you that so many people believe that a woman who takes up very little to no space is adored and has more value over a woman who takes up space (be it obese or 'too' muscular) who is then harshly judged and criticized by a majority of her peers. (you're too muscular, you're too big, etc.)

What I'm getting is that a lot of people believe skinny is better because they'll fit into clothes easier, look great naked, automatically be healthier, etc. We've already beaten to death the idea that just because you're 'thin,' doesn't automatically mean fit, and just because someone has excess weight, it doesn't automatically mean they're unhealthy...but that's not what society perceives. I know if I see a stunning model-esque woman trying on a pair of shoes, I'm thinking 'DAMNIT! WHY THE HELL CAN'T I LOOK LIKE THAT!?"

But that's a dangerous way of thinking, and I know it is.

Anywho, OP, you're fabulous. Keep striving for fit. If you get thin, it's just a byproduct, but I'm glad it's not your goal. =) Don't let the over-sensitive skinny brigade get to you. <3

Trying to get out of here, but the hatemail continues. Not everyone that's "soft" and skinny is fragile alllll the time. Sometimes it's nice when you fall asleep and are picked up and carried by your man, laid softly down on the bed and kissed goodnight. I can kick *kitten* when needed, thankfully I don't always have to.
    Quite healthy, quite capable of taking care of myself in every way and do so. Yeah, I would not mind gaining a few pounds of lean muscle, for additional strength and functional purpose, not appearance. I will, because I choose to, not because of anyone else's opinion.

It's your choice to look like that woman trying on those shoes, or be like that, don't hate because you chose not to. How is that "dangerous"? Pretty sure she's happy with her life, and you really don't sound like you are happy with yours.

Create your own world and stop bashing other's goals.

This is the internet, no one else's opinions even matter. Seriously? Go live your lives and let others live theirs.
  • It's too bad that eating healthier and cutting back on portions doesn't help people mind their own damned business.

I belive this is the smartest post in the whole thread..
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    I just read the rest of this. OP, you had every right to defend yourself, and I think you did so wonderfully. I completely disagree with a lot of the people saying that you should have picked a different title for the thread. I think it's perfect.

It just goes to show you how warped our society is - that women are striving to be 'fragile,' soft, and skinny to the point that they are putting themselves in danger. It also goes to show you that so many people believe that a woman who takes up very little to no space is adored and has more value over a woman who takes up space (be it obese or 'too' muscular) who is then harshly judged and criticized by a majority of her peers. (you're too muscular, you're too big, etc.)

What I'm getting is that a lot of people believe skinny is better because they'll fit into clothes easier, look great naked, automatically be healthier, etc. We've already beaten to death the idea that just because you're 'thin,' doesn't automatically mean fit, and just because someone has excess weight, it doesn't automatically mean they're unhealthy...but that's not what society perceives. I know if I see a stunning model-esque woman trying on a pair of shoes, I'm thinking 'DAMNIT! WHY THE HELL CAN'T I LOOK LIKE THAT!?"

Anywho, OP, you're fabulous. Keep striving for fit. If you get thin, it's just a byproduct, but I'm glad it's not your goal. =) Don't let the over-sensitive skinny brigade get to you. <3

Trying to get out of here, but the hatemail continues. Not everyone that's "soft" and skinny is fragile alllll the time. Sometimes it's nice when you fall asleep and are picked up and carried by your man, laid softly down on the bed and kissed goodnight. I can kick *kitten* when needed, thankfully I don't always have to.
    Quite healthy, quite capable of taking care of myself in every way and do so. Yeah, I would not mind gaining a few pounds of lean muscle, for additional strength and functional purpose, not appearance. I will, because I choose to, not because of anyone else's opinion.

It's your choice to look like that woman trying on those shoes, or be like that, don't hate because you chose not to. How is that "dangerous"? Pretty sure she's happy with her life, and you really don't sound like you are happy with yours.

Create your own world and stop bashing other's goals.

This is the internet, no one else's opinions even matter. Seriously? Go live your lives and let others live theirs.

Yeah. I had a post, but you're not worth the response. When you eat a few carbs and get your brain working again, re-read these posts to see the real point of them and stop being overly sensitive.

Edit: Also, no one here is being insulting. Stop trying to pick a fight because we're not here to insult or hate on anyone.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Don't fall off your horse.. Looks like a long fall.. Sorry I came to MFP to be skinny and it worked. I am not judging you on your looks ..Quit hatin on the skinny gals.

there's no hating going on - just people expressing a personal opinion on what they prefer

I prefer dark haired women - doesn't mean I'm hating on the blondes
    I prefer less skinny women - doesn't mean i'm hating on the skinny gals
    I prefer shorter women - doesn't mean I'm hating on the taller girls

There are some gorgeous tall, skinny, blonde women - just expressing a slight preference that's all

Not that my opinion matters in any way whatsoever - doesn't mean I can't express it. I can't see why people can't just accept that people have different tastes and can say so, it's no insult to the OP, and isn't rude
    Or would you prefer every post to say "You look fabulous"?

If a guy REALLY bulked up so that I was huge with legs like treetrunks and biceps like bowling balls then I would expect many to say they don't like massive musles like that - no big deal Many have said that on here.

But do you proceed to run your mouth about how unhealthy blondes are? Or how being tall make you look like a cancer paitent? Or do you just have a different prefrence without putting everyone else down?

" Skinny to me could equate to illness and sickness. It doesn't always equate to healthy. There are SKINNY Aids and Cancer victims.
    Skinny people can be unhealthy and NOT fit. I think I've heard a word for that called Skinny -fat. It's very sad when I hear women say they want to be skinny."

^^She was hatin.. but when I was big I hated skinny girls to so I can understand why she is hatin

"

It's so sad that so few of you get my OP. It was NOT a slam on skinny girls. It's a word that I think is used to equate to healthy and I don't always think it is healthy and beautiful. I am not a hater. Some of you are getting so defensive it's insane. I don't hate skinny girls. I don't hate fat girls. I don't hate anyone. It seems like a lot of you are hating that I feel being fit (which doesn't mean by any means big and bulky for everyone) is what a goal should be.

You can be skinny and fit- you can also be overweight and fit.
    MY GOAL IS TO BE HEALTHY AND FIT.

Whats the differences between skinny and fit, overweight and fit and healthy and fit - what do you look like in the healthy and fit category?
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    I wouldn't complain if I was fit or skinny because it's better than being fat. >.<
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    It's too bad that eating healthier and cutting back on portions doesn't help people mind their own damned business.

Here, here! :drinker:
  • AnitaVolpato
    AnitaVolpato Posts: 204 Member
    I was skinny from 1974 till 2009. I want my skinny back :) This is someone else's body not mine... LOL
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Yeah. I had a post, but you're not worth the response. When you eat a few carbs and get your brain working again, re-read these posts to see the real point of them and stop being overly sensitive.

Edit: Also, no one here is being insulting. Stop trying to pick a fight because we're not here to insult or hate on anyone.

I'm not overly sensitive, I eat plenty of carbs, and my brain works quite well. If I wanted to "pick a fight" it would be one a bit more worthy than this nonsense. I'm not insulting or hating on you, or the OP, am I? I'm not the one sending "hatemail". ;)
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    An MFP member that was overweight and is now thin would probably better answer your question, Wonderob. :) I'll try to give you some of the benefits that yoga students have given me in the past, without focusing on the health aspect.

- easier to fit in restaurant chairs, theater seats, planes and so on
    - enjoy shopping for clothing in stores with "regular' sizes
    - easier to see your feet when you look down, and the scale
    - not dreading shopping for swimsuits
    - better sex
    - increased confidence
    - not worrying about their weight affecting their career or chance at a better position
    - no longer worry about stares or comments from people about your weight
    - at job interviews, you don’t have to worry if being overweight will be a factor in deciding whether or not you will get the position.
    - If you are trying to date, being thin helps.
    - easier to keep a thin body clean
    - easier to go to the bathroom
    - easier to enjoy any kind of physical activity that is fun, like riding a bike, taking a walk, swimming, hiking a trail, etc.
    - the thought of being seen in a swim suit in public does not sound mortifying
    - not worrying what others might be thinking when you're eating with them
    - happy to see people you haven’t seen in a long time, not worried anymore about what they might be thinking of your weight

:drinker: :drinker:
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member

Thank you for GETTING me and what I have to say. You so totally rock!!!

I think we live in a sad society where women think that being fit equals looking like a typical male or that being skinny is something they have to do in order to be happy.

The reason why models are so thin is because the manufactures of the clothing pieces want their clothing people those who look like hangers.

It's a dangerous way of thinking to want to conform to society's standards of beauty. We all know that most models are photoshopped, cropped and air brushed and many have severe eating disorders where they won't live that long. Not all but many. Even they don't meet the mold which is why they are photoshopped. So here you have a society of women trying to look like a person that doesn't even look like that. Ever see one of these models without airbrushing, photoshopping and make up? They often look like a completely different woman.

The diet industry is a billion dollar biz- and looking for suckers all the time. There are good products out there, but when Special K is wanting women to eat just 2 bowls of cereal all day until dinner, OMG REALLY? Are you kidding me??

the beauty/diet industry tells you that you can look that way if only you buy their product. they tell you that you SHOULD NOT be happy and you should be MISERABLE if you are even average weight. They tell you that your spouse, your kids, your job- that everyone will love you so much more you just lose some weight. Do we want to support companies like that???? This isn't about health, this is preying on vulnerable people, especially women though now lately they are preying on men too.

If there was a real diet pill that worked, or a magic formula, I am sure Oprah would have it already. It wouldn't be on a rag mag.

. In reality most of us can not look like runway models (most of them don't look like that either)- so we blindly shell out MILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars- that's why average weight women think they are fat. If they were happy with themselves, they wouldn't feed into this BS. That's why women who are white pay to destroy their skin in tanning salons, why women who are Black are told they have to be light skinned. Why older people are told , especially women, never to reveal their ages. NEVER ever be happy and just shell out your hard earned money...... it's all about the bottom dollar and women's lives are getting destroyed by this. I am not talking about healthy ways of weight management, I am talking about the false lies we are told every day by companies who don't care if you die using their products.

At 43, people can't believe how quickly I offer my age- If I make it to 90 I will be proud of it. I am proud of who I am not- not what weight I will become in the future. I am not embarrased to be old or older- every wrinkle on my face I feel I earned LOL

Life is too short to sit around WAITING until you're the "perfect" size.

Most of my experience from women who have a main goal to be skinny is that they hold back, they are afraid that no one will love them unless they are skinny and feel that their lives will be more worthy once they hit that magic number on a scale. Some of the women here have spewed such hatred towards my general point which was LOVE YOURSELF NOW, BE FIT AND HEALTHY. Sure skinny can be fit but not always. Sure obesity can be unhealthy but that doesn't mean if you are obese you should hate or demean yourself.

Once again, No I am not jealous, no I am not resentful. Some of my best friends are gorgeous and fit and WORK HARD at it. They know they need to go work out, they know they need to eat clean and get the BS about fad diets, they do not starve their body, they aren't afraid of food, they know that their mental health is as important as their physical health- and they don't hate overweight people or anyone. They don't fear overweight people not do they judge them. Those are my friends. If your friends are judgmental jerks- DUMP THEM!

I have to love myself RIGHT NOW- and live as healthy as I can. Praying to be skinny or STARVING MY BODY and being unhealthy will NOT do anything but make me mentally ill.
  • merzback
    I read this post this morning- please read it especially if you talk about being fat to your children-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-wachter/body-image_b_1626005.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living
  • Wow!
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member

Thank you for GETTING me and what I have to say. You so totally rock!!!

I think we live in a sad society where women think that being fit equals looking like a typical male or that being skinny is something they have to do in order to be happy.

The reason why models are so thin is because the manufactures of the clothing pieces want their clothing people those who look like hangers.

It's a dangerous way of thinking to want to conform to society's standards of beauty. We all know that most models are photoshopped, cropped and air brushed and many have severe eating disorders where they won't live that long. Not all but many. Even they don't meet the mold which is why they are photoshopped. So here you have a society of women trying to look like a person that doesn't even look like that. Ever see one of these models without airbrushing, photoshopping and make up? They often look like a completely different woman.

The diet industry is a billion dollar biz- and looking for suckers all the time. There are good products out there, but when Special K is wanting women to eat just 2 bowls of cereal all day until dinner, OMG REALLY? Are you kidding me??

the beauty/diet industry tells you that you can look that way if only you buy their product. they tell you that you SHOULD NOT be happy and you should be MISERABLE if you are even average weight. They tell you that your spouse, your kids, your job- that everyone will love you so much more you just lose some weight. Do we want to support companies like that???? This isn't about health, this is preying on vulnerable people, especially women though now lately they are preying on men too.

If there was a real diet pill that worked, or a magic formula, I am sure Oprah would have it already. It wouldn't be on a rag mag.

. In reality most of us can not look like runway models (most of them don't look like that either)- so we blindly shell out MILLIONS and BILLIONS of dollars- that's why average weight women think they are fat. If they were happy with themselves, they wouldn't feed into this BS. That's why women who are white pay to destroy their skin in tanning salons, why women who are Black are told they have to be light skinned. Why older people are told , especially women, never to reveal their ages. NEVER ever be happy and just shell out your hard earned money...... it's all about the bottom dollar and women's lives are getting destroyed by this. I am not talking about healthy ways of weight management, I am talking about the false lies we are told every day by companies who don't care if you die using their products.

At 43, people can't believe how quickly I offer my age- If I make it to 90 I will be proud of it. I am proud of who I am not- not what weight I will become in the future. I am not embarrased to be old or older- every wrinkle on my face I feel I earned LOL

Life is too short to sit around WAITING until you're the "perfect" size.

Most of my experience from women who have a main goal to be skinny is that they hold back, they are afraid that no one will love them unless they are skinny and feel that their lives will be more worthy once they hit that magic number on a scale. Some of the women here have spewed such hatred towards my general point which was LOVE YOURSELF NOW, BE FIT AND HEALTHY. Sure skinny can be fit but not always. Sure obesity can be unhealthy but that doesn't mean if you are obese you should hate or demean yourself.

Once again, No I am not jealous, no I am not resentful. Some of my best friends are gorgeous and fit and WORK HARD at it. They know they need to go work out, they know they need to eat clean and get the BS about fad diets, they do not starve their body, they aren't afraid of food, they know that their mental health is as important as their physical health- and they don't hate overweight people or anyone. They don't fear overweight people not do they judge them. Those are my friends. If your friends are judgmental jerks- DUMP THEM!

I have to love myself RIGHT NOW- and live as healthy as I can. Praying to be skinny or STARVING MY BODY and being unhealthy will NOT do anything but make me mentally ill.

I agree that everybody should love themselves, and I agree a lot with what you are trying to say here-- but I still pray to be skinny. ;D I'd walk around naked all day, legit.
  • happypath101
    happypath101 Posts: 534
    I read this post this morning- please read it especially if you talk about being fat to your children-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrea-wachter/body-image_b_1626005.html?utm_hp_ref=healthy-living

AWESOME! Thanks for that! (Boy, I wish my Mom had had a different road, and her Mom before her. Hopefully, I'm stopping the cycle.) :O)
  • merzback

AWESOME! Thanks for that! (Boy, I wish my Mom had had a different road, and her Mom before her. Hopefully, I'm stopping the cycle.) :O)

Exactly. I didn't have a mom after I was 8 years old and I don't remember her making rude comments about people's weights. My dad did though and while he was trying to help me, it did make me feel as though I would be loved more
  • abbyaxiom
    abbyaxiom Posts: 33
    There's always a lotta butthurt on these message boards xD
  • portsmyth
    portsmyth Posts: 2
    I just want to eat taco's

You, I like you.