Punishment for Being Fat

2»

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,002 Member
    No way!!! For me, counting calories is empowering. I am choosing discipline and health. I am in control of my future.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    edited February 2021
    Suffering is optional. It really is. Oh, there’s discomfort involved. And it takes a lot of persistence to lose a significant amount and keep it gone.

But if you’ve really crossed the line into punishment its likely your program is too aggressive. What do I mean by really crossed? Well, first there’s our brain’s tendency to exaggerate. Like if we miss lunch and then we’re “starving.” I missed a meal, it isn’t starvation. But my brain will have me telling anyone I see that I’m starving. So is our discomfort really that much? And a lot of times it is. It’s part of the vicious diet circle. Set up an aggressive program. The aim of the aggressive program is speed. Why? Because the aggressive program is really difficult to live with. It does seem like punishment. Only a crazy person wouldn’t want it to end ASAP.

There’s another way. Try to think of yourself as trying to find a way to live with some reasonable limits. That’s all that’s really needed. Think about it. Using the 3500 calorie per lb rule of thumb, 100 extra calories per day will have us graining 10 lbs in a year, nearly 1 per month. Likewise a 100 calorie deficit will have us losing about the same. That’s only a 200 calorie turn around. One is the slow march up, the other the slow march down. Like is said many times, simple but not easy. It takes a lot of concentration and a lot of persistence to hang in when we make mistakes. And there are lot of potential missteps- anything from stress and fatigue induced breakdowns to simple math mistakes or misread menus and NI.

But if we learn to accept some limits and find a livable downward trend time can be on our side in this. It really can. It’s OK to go slow. Not much changes at goal weight. There’s no need to rush to get there.
  • aquitteriamnot
    aquitteriamnot Posts: 78 Member
    Every person has something in their life they don’t want to put restrictions on. We have to have some self-control or else suffer the consequences of poor eating habits. That’s the real punishment.
  • aquitteriamnot
    aquitteriamnot Posts: 78 Member
    @veganbabe777 I like your comment about your body being a temple of God. Dieting is like tearing down the temple (getting rid of excess fat, weight and bad habits) then re-building it with lean muscle and healthy eating habits. It’s a mental, physical and spiritual transformation to be the best person you can be.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    dieting doesnt work. at least not long term.

making lifestyle changes, choosing to take CARE of your body (you only get one!). Eating nutritious foods (and yes, treats too!) and getting some physical exercise (doesn't have to be hours at the gym every week).

We have a farm. I take care of our livestock (and pets lol). I make sure they have the food they need. The supplements they need. The activity they need. All to remain healthy. I do the same for myself. I am not punishing them or me, just taking care of us.

• WaterLily82
    WaterLily82 Posts: 165 Member
    Oh, no! Don’t think of healthy eating as punishment!! I know it tastes so different eating healthy, lean, Whole Foods as opposed to the sugary, high fat, fried or processed foods you may have been used to but you need to change your mindset to be successful. The sluggish, bulky body those foods gave you is the punishment for not treating your body with the respect it deserved. In order to respect your body you want to fuel it and nourish it and give it all the things it needs, not cravings which are things our brains want, but protein and fiber and healthy fats that make us strong and help us to function at our best. You are REAWARDING yourself with healthier foods and more activity. You are healing an sick, unhealthy body and making it strong. I just recently met my goal of getting below 300 lbs so I know the food struggle all too well! But I am on the road to recovery and my body and mind feel healthier than ever! But “dieting” doesn’t have to mean flavorless, boring rabbit food. I LOVE FOOD. And even eating healthier I still love food! I enjoy things like scrambled eggs with left over steak and peppers and onions with one slice of 12 grain toast and a bowl of berries (that was today’s breakfast...yum!) Chicken breast stuffed with a healthy spinach & artichoke type cheesy dip with yummy roasted broccoli (dinner tonight) Recently I made steak and cheese stuffed peppers...OMG so good! I’ve discovered that I love roasted Brussels sprouts and will eat them with breakfast, lunch and dinner! I made fresh homemade salsa and found some hearty whole grain tortilla chips for dipping! I love grilling chicken & veggies outside now that the weather is nice up here innNew England. And I’ve always got squares of dark chocolate in my freezer for emergencies!! It’s my favorite and it’s practically a health food ( in moderation, of course!) Please, don’t “diet”. Just eat well, eat delicious foods, and live your body enough to fuel it ❤️ Good luck!! I know you can do this!!
  • LisaGetsMoving
    LisaGetsMoving Posts: 664 Member
    Everybody on the whole planet is on a "diet" because diet is simply what you eat. Eating is not punishment or reward, it's fuel, and sometimes it's really yummy endorphin raising fuel... and that's OK. Being fat often feels like a punishment in and of itself. You want to counteract that negativity.

I know a lot of women who are very particular about what their children eat, but they don't show as much care for what they are putting into their own bodies. Love your body for how it is, but care for it in the way you want it to become - that's work of the mind and heart and spirit.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,059 Member
    I think everyone's responses are awesome at how they each individually view their lifestyle approach. And I have an even different one..

I have children, and I don't let them eat a whole pack of biscuits or cakes and chocolate. They get a limited amount. And my parents would have done the same for me as a child.
    But when you grow up, and you make your own decisions there's no one there to tell you "no that's too much".. I mean you *know* it, in the back of your mind, but there's no one there to physicallyy stop you.
    So to sum it up, I basically parent myself 😂.
  • NecessaryChange
    NecessaryChange Posts: 91 Member
    Changing your eating habits doesn't have to be a bad experience. Experiment. And try to enjoy trying new things and cooking. I love cooking, I'm not great at it.. but it's fun for me 😊 so that helped. Good luck!
  • pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    I feel punishment is being fat determined either by the genetics in my family, bad habits learnt from childhood, then bad habits when being an adult in the relation with the food
    But dieting helps making you a style to follow and it also helps knowing that you try to conquer all these obstacles
    And when dieting equals or becomes way of eating and life style is the best
    I am still struggling with what is best for me, but I think that punishing me, this it is not helpful on long term
    Beside this ,we are what we are , results of everything happening till now, we should try to love a little ourselves, there are enough people to hate us , beside ourselves