Chicks on the Boys side of the Gym....

Options

Replies

• k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I don't find it too intimidating. I think the best thing to do is to just focus on say 3 or 4 machines at a time and rotate. I hate when people come into the weights area and they jump from machine to machine and then 15 machines later they are all dirty. When people see you are serious about it they take you serious :)

I've never actually considered the machines the "boys side"; they usually sit between the cardio (girls) and the free weights (boys). I don't actually prescribe to there being any "side" to the gym, but I think the convo here is about going into the free weights area and copping a Squat or lifting the Dead.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    The Man Cave was intimidating at first but having the trainers keep taking us there has gotten us used to it. Now my friends and I go work out there all the time without really caring about what anyone there thinks!
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Nope, not intimidated at all and never have been!

I enjoy giving the boys a show to watch since they look like their in awe by some of the poundage I can pack onto a bar and ACTUALLY lift. I catch them staring since it's so "foreign" for a woman to be on the "boy's side" of the gym and just smile like I've put on my best performance yet because I have if I'm challenging myself enough! :bigsmile:
  • abaka123
    abaka123 Posts: 48
    Options
    Im not intimidated when lifting with the 'mens' side', Im slightly more annoyed. Not getting in to sexist comments or anything, but they seem to want to talk more than workout, like pick a girl up. Im very focused to get done what i need to do and get out. I also see them gawk at women and stare like they never seem a woman before. I even wear ear phones and a hat to give them a hint- "im married and dont like to talk' but for some it doesnt matter. Putting that aside, when I frist started lifting I wasnt sure how to use some equipment and they are a good source of info. Alo, Im 5'3 so when I could not reach to adjust the equipment to my height they are also around to help. :0)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I've only seen one over woman in the free weights section of the gym, and she was using the Barbie weights for a billion reps... I was scary the first time I went "over there" I do a tiny bit of cardio as my warm up and cool down. I do get some looks but mostly I think they are thinking well done (this is what I choose to assume!)
    I am usually so focused on my own thing I don't notice too much going on around me!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Your thoughts? I started lifting several months ago, at first at home with a few free weights..and realized quickly that I would have to break down and start going to a gym to lift since I was no longer challeged by what I had at home...

I am not gonna lie...the segregation in the gym is intimidating as all get out sometimes...there is a girl's side ( elliptical machines, treadmills and bikes) and theres a boy's side...( all the strength machines, cables-which happen to be my favorite!, free weights and bars). So my question to woman that lift...do you feel intimidated or uncomfortable by being the only female in the stregth section of the gym? And men...is it annoying when a woman crosses over to your side?

Just wanting some perspectives...from both sides. I am not going to stop lifting...I love it! But wonder why the gym is so segregated by gender.

I think the segregation often stems from the fact that many women are intimidated by the idea of lifting weights, while many men fail to realize or recognize the benefits of adding cardio to their strength training (my brother is included in this group :grumble: ). There are benefits to both cardio and strength training for men and women. Like you said, just keep doing what you're doing. Maybe you can be the example to the other women in the gym, and convince them to cross "territitorial" lines and start lifting weights too. If they can see the benefits first hand, it might be less intimidating for them.
  • biglew909
    biglew909 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    To me, seeing a girl lifting right in the middle of all the "bros" is pretty awesome. I give that girl kudos...as long as she's actually WORKING and not just trying to hook up.

On the other side of it...I run on the treadmill, and looking down the rows of machines the person I try to pace myself off of is a female.

A cardio crazy, scary-fit female, but a girl nonetheless.

You really wanna get some props from the bros? Try doing CrossFit moves on the "boys" side of the gym. Just sayin'.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can be the example to the other women in the gym, and convince them to cross "territitorial" lines and start lifting weights too. If they can see the benefits first hand, it might be less intimidating for them.

Or if all the women take over the free weights, the guys will be forced to head to the cardio section....then everyone is totally balanced. muahahaha
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I used to be intimated and then I started going with my boyfriend to that side and wasn't so much after that. When I go to the gym myself, I usually go later in the evening when there are less men around so that I'm that I'm a little bit more comfortable. Just recently I started going to a different 24 Hour location and I am a lot more comfortable in the weight areas than my prior location. I don't know why but I feel more confident. I don't get hit on but I do notice a lot more looks. Not looks of "what is she doing here?" but more of the impressed looks. It adds a boost to my workout.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    To me, seeing a girl lifting right in the middle of all the "bros" is pretty awesome. I give that girl kudos...as long as she's actually WORKING and not just trying to hook up.

On the other side of it...I run on the treadmill, and looking down the rows of machines the person I try to pace myself off of is a female.

A cardio crazy, scary-fit female, but a girl nonetheless.

You really wanna get some props from the bros? Try doing CrossFit moves on the "boys" side of the gym. Just sayin'.

When I see girls doing cross fit moves on the "boys" side, I am in awe! I want to be one of those girls!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I use to be so intimidated. I would be the only girl in the area. I would get funny looks from the guys and it would just make me want to hurry up and cut my workout short because I felt like I "invaded" there territory. I would feel better if I had like a workout partner for strength training. So I'm still a little intimidated when I'm by myself and I'm the only girl. If there are other girls present then I'll feel a little better.

But I will lift nonetheless and I will lift heavy :drinker:
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    My gym is so small there's no segregation as such. You walk through or past the free weights in order to go anywhere and there aren't many girls that I've seen at the gym at all. So far the only girl I've seen lifting weights is myself, but I'm certain I'm not the only one.
    I make sure I know what I'm doing before I do it in front of everyone (I have some tiny 2kg weights at home I use to practise my form in the mirror) and I just go and do my thing. I was offered a little help with my tricep kickbacks by an employee but other than that everyone keeps to themselves. I'm very careful not to get in anyone's way.
    I like being the girl in the middle of the big muscly men and its a funny feeling being all sweaty and gross, pulling faces as you struggle with your last squats, feeling the eyes of others fixated on your bum :) I like it.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Im not intimidated when lifting with the 'mens' side', Im slightly more annoyed. Not getting in to sexist comments or anything, but they seem to want to talk more than workout, like pick a girl up. Im very focused to get done what i need to do and get out. I also see them gawk at women and stare like they never seem a woman before. I even wear ear phones and a hat to give them a hint- "im married and dont like to talk' but for some it doesnt matter. Putting that aside, when I frist started lifting I wasnt sure how to use some equipment and they are a good source of info. Alo, Im 5'3 so when I could not reach to adjust the equipment to my height they are also around to help. :0)

They stare and gawk at me sometimes, too. However, I've noticed that alot of the "gawkers" are older men (60 years and older). I think they are either amazed or shocked by the fact that a woman can do what I do. They are from a generation that was taught that women are to be dainty, petite, and feminine, and strong, athletic women are all lesbians. Seriously...I'm not kidding...I've heard people from that generation say that was the mentality during the time they were brought up. Of course, it could also have something to do with how I start to look about ten minutes into my workout. :laugh: (See photo)

fat-guy-1.jpg
  • HannahDiaz25
    HannahDiaz25 Posts: 104
    Options
    The only time it feels awkward to me is when I am doing my own thing...in my zone and some guy keeps blatently staring at me.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    lol. yea i know what you mean. i sometimes will cross over into the boys side, with all the weights and stuff, and all the guys just stare at me. lol.
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    Sometimes, especially when I first started going. But now that I've been going for a couple of months, they know who I am and they know I am there to get busy.
  • Luxxmundi
    Luxxmundi Posts: 52
    Options
    I was lucky in the fact that the gym I went to was quite open, and a lot of the machines were mixed, so there weren't really any sides. Although I have to admit, if guy were doing weights, the women would wait until they had completely finished and then head over.
  • brentdaniels
    brentdaniels Posts: 127
    Options
    There are 2 female bodybuilders at my gym and I think it's the other way around-they intimidate the men! One of them is about 110-115 and I saw her load up in the squat rack with 315 pounds and do about 8 reps in perfect form. It was awesome! What is really funny is the dumba**es that try to hit on them and they pretty much do not even acknowledge their existence...lol
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am still really intimidated by the "boys" side of the gym. I push through and I just tell myself they are only staring at my chest. I can handle that. When my next training session comes up I am going to have her show me how to lift some of the weights on the "boy" side.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    When I see a woman on the free weight side I always look around to see if someone installed an oven next to the dumbbell rack.
    (I kid, I kid)

Seriously, doesn't matter at all. Most of the people that annoy me are guys doing stuff wrong or hogging equipment. Can't say I ever got annoyed at a lady in the weight room. Just don't walk over and exclusively use the inner thigh cable machine. Most women I see think that's the only piece of valuable equipment in the gym. It always amuses me.