Chicks on the Boys side of the Gym....

12345679»

Replies

• Does not bother me at all. We all pay to work out there. I encourage those that go into the strength areas. It would be better if more went in to be honest.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    When I first started weight lifting, I felt pretty intimidated.. but thats because my trainer was an idiot and never really gave me the tools to go at it by myself.

Once I got rid of him, and got new trainers, I did much better. Currently I take what ever workout my trainer had me do that week and repeat it on my own.. and since I already know all the moves, I can just grab what I need and go.

I do get guys staring at me when I do some exercises( my trainer tends to do a lot of "out of the box" type exercises, and people are either very intrigued/think I'm crazy). When they do, I stare back until they look away and then they never bother me again :)
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    I've only twice been intimidated in the free weights area. 1). The first day in there alone without the p/t was pretty scary, but that was more to do with remembering what to do....and 2) The time another woman came in looking all sexy and hot (i was super jealous)...but then she proceeded to do a few curls on a bench, then left, and there's me squatting 35kg on SL 5x5. That gave me more confidence than anything! I am the only other female I've seen in the free weights area...in fact I don't think I'd like it if another one came in...it's MY territory now lol!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    At my gym, women can come into the weight section AFTER they have asked permission from each male member currently working in the area.

This is standard practice at my gym as well.

This IS LEGAL DISCRIMINATION. If you pay the Same Gym fees, then You (Women) have EQUAL ACCESS (Just as the Men) to any part of the Gym (except Sexually Restricted Areas, like Toilets and Showers.) WHO would PAY for A Service and ALLOW themselves to be Discriminated against. I would tell them, I will NOT follow that PRACTICE, I will Follow the RULE (If this is NOT in your GYM CONTRACT then it can not be enforced) and if it IS in the Contract (that you DO NOT have FULL ACCESS to every area of the Gym) you bought a BAD DEAL or You may be able to get out of the Contract by alleging discrimination. MY GOODNESS why would ANYONE pay EQUAL PRICE for UNEQUAL SERVICES?!!!

.... I thought they were joking??
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    At my gym, women can come into the weight section AFTER they have asked permission from each male member currently working in the area.

This is standard practice at my gym as well.

This IS LEGAL DISCRIMINATION. If you pay the Same Gym fees, then You (Women) have EQUAL ACCESS (Just as the Men) to any part of the Gym (except Sexually Restricted Areas, like Toilets and Showers.) WHO would PAY for A Service and ALLOW themselves to be Discriminated against. I would tell them, I will NOT follow that PRACTICE, I will Follow the RULE (If this is NOT in your GYM CONTRACT then it can not be enforced) and if it IS in the Contract (that you DO NOT have FULL ACCESS to every area of the Gym) you bought a BAD DEAL or You may be able to get out of the Contract by alleging discrimination. MY GOODNESS why would ANYONE pay EQUAL PRICE for UNEQUAL SERVICES?!!!

.... I thought they were joking??

Kidding...why ever would someone kid on the forums?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    It was intimidating at first because I just had never done it before and was afraid of looking stupid and doing things wrong. Not necessarily because of all the men... at my gym there are usually some girls over there, too. Even if there weren't, I paid for my membership just the same as the guys. Not that anyone really even pays attention to me anyway.
  • matt_h76
    matt_h76 Posts: 39
    I'm a guy and currently workout at home so cant really comment but have been to the gym many times in the past and have several male friends who use gyms regularly and every guy I know would never have a problem women lifting free weights next to them. The gym equipment is for all to use. It is becoming more widely recognised that lifting heavy, primarily free weights, is the most effective way to workout and burn calories and is therefore becoming very popular for women.

Unfortunately there is still the myth that lifting heavy weights will cause a woman to bulk up and working on cardio and treadmills, elliptical etc is the best way to tone and lose weight. It couldn't be further from the truth and is actually the opposite way round. While this myth persists there will always be some segregation amongst some gym equipment which is a big shame.

I say go for it :) Lift heavy low reps :)
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Just a quick non-gender specific thought. I did not do free weights until later in life (35+) and at first I found the guys really into lifting were a little intimidating.... Until asked a question or needed something, and then I almost always found them helpful and friendly.
    I think you may find it the same (given that there are some jerks out there)
    :)
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    I like being the only girl at my gym actually moving any weight. The guys at my gym call me deadlifts :bigsmile:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Your thoughts? I started lifting several months ago, at first at home with a few free weights..and realized quickly that I would have to break down and start going to a gym to lift since I was no longer challeged by what I had at home...

I am not gonna lie...the segregation in the gym is intimidating as all get out sometimes...there is a girl's side ( elliptical machines, treadmills and bikes) and theres a boy's side...( all the strength machines, cables-which happen to be my favorite!, free weights and bars). So my question to woman that lift...do you feel intimidated or uncomfortable by being the only female in the stregth section of the gym? And men...is it annoying when a woman crosses over to your side?

Just wanting some perspectives...from both sides. I am not going to stop lifting...I love it! But wonder why the gym is so segregated by gender.

I only go to the gym very occasionally, but where I go, males and females are all mixed, there is no segregation at all.
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Today I saw for the first time another girl lifting weights at my gym, and it annoyed me. Why? Because she was using the weights I wanted! ;p
    I was actually really pleased to see her there though, I recognise her as she ran a bootcamp class in a field a couple of months ago that I went to, but today at the gym it was really busy and I was glad there was another girl there lifting the same as me. I felt like I was doing something right.
  • lisasch67
    lisasch67 Posts: 135 Member
    I just recently started lifting and my gym's weight area is dominated by men. There are a few ladies, but honestly, I feel pretty comfortable with myself and my abilities and am proud of myself for starting something new, so I try not to pay attention to what everyone around me looks like or what they're doing. Although, I have 4 brothers and work in a pretty male dominated industry, so I really could care less what the boys think, haha.
  • Akious
    Akious Posts: 71
    At the gym that I go to, everyone uses everything. There are no real sides. For those of you that are hesitant to go lift because you don't know what to do, ask. At least at the gym that I go to, most people would be more than happy to help you out or answer questions.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    I was working with a male trainer and never felt like I was out of place. HOWEVER, I went to the lifting side of the gym by myself the other day and was looked at like I had a third head. The worst part...I let it get to me. I wish I had just shown the boys what I was made of, but I chickened out. That's okay, I plan on lifting again this afternoon, so watch out boys!! LOL! :tongue: