Cathe Fans Part 5

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,773 Member
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was a 60 minute spin followed by Xtend Barre Pilates To The Mat 1. For no reason I can think of, I was full of workout energy today. I wish I had the same energy for cleaning the house. :D;)

Thelma, great workouts. Our winds weren’t too bad last night. Hopefully you can say the same there. I hope all goes well in getting the new chickens.

Laurie, that sounds like an interesting workout. It has been forever since I even looked at my kettlebell. I really don’t know why either. Anyhow, I hear you on the ‘shuffling to the bathroom in the morning’ thing. Some days I just stand by the bed for a solid minute until my legs and feet get used to gravity again. :) Not good. Since I do two distinct types of workouts on most days, I really have no clue what makes me feel good and what doesn’t the day after. Those two weeks off from strength training Thelma and I are taking after we finish STS will be telling for me, that’s for sure. Now I need to convince myself to not do cardio on strength training days when we reintroduce strength to our program to see how that goes. It will be a process, but a process I am long past due for right now.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    ThelmaSW Posts: 2,511 Member
    Hi Ladies! My workouts on Wednesday were a Peloton ride, Xtend Barre and legs and stretching.

The weather we were expecting didn't happen. We had some wind this morning, it was cloudy too. We had a couple of rain showers and that was it. We had a little bit of wind and rain tonight. I think tomorrow will be the really rainy day.

Laurie, I love the name of that workout! It sounds like fun! Good job! I am glad you're listening to your body with your workouts. Low impact is best for me. I do a little jumping with some workouts. It depends on how I feel. Sometimes when my knees hurt I do massage my quads from top to bottom with a massage rod. It always helps.

We have to keep the chickens separated (as in far away separated) in case there is a respiratory infection or other disease for at least 30 days to make sure they are not sick or have bugs. I checked them for bugs before we took them home and they were clean. They also look pretty healthy. They are about 10 weeks old.

Laurel, great workouts! I wish I had that kind of energy for house cleaning too and that's why I clean a little bit each day so it's not too painful. I can't believe we are about to start the last month of our rotation! I am looking forward to those two weeks off strength training.

I was glad the wind or rain weren't bad at all.

It all went well with the chickens. The lady had a lot of ducks and guinea fowl. Those things are loud! She also had an incubator and she had brand new baby quails and chickens. The baby quail were tiny! She gave us a dozen fresh eggs. They were different colors which is awesome. I've never had olive colored eggs. I'm told they all taste the same.

Have a great weekend!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    lvnascar Posts: 3,415 Member
    edited October 2021
    Morning Ladies,

Cold and wet this morning, but it is suppose to get nicer later today. My workout this morning was 30MTF Build & Burn Trim & Tone Intervals. This one is on the light side as far as how tough it is, but perfect for how I felt today. The weight segments are good, and my shoulders are feeling the love.

We have a party to go to this weekend, and I don't know if I will dress up or not. Ever since faire, I have not wanted to dress up in a costume of any type. DH has an idea, so I probably should come up with something. This morning I'm wearing my Halloween T-Shirt. :)

I forgot that I had not mentioned that DH's mother is now home. She is now realizing that having everyone so close was nice, because DH can't just be there in an instant.

Laurel, Great job on your workouts, and LOL about the house cleaning. I have that energy problem just about every day. If housework wasn't so boring I would be doing it all the time. :D It really does suck that we get older, and our bodies just don't want to do what our mind knows it was quite capable of it just a few years ago. :D How much longer do you have on your rotation before you get to your two weeks off strength training? I love the kettlebells, but do not pull them out that often. They do give you a different feeling in your arms.

Thelma, Nice workouts! Glad to hear that the weather wasn't bad. Stretching seems to be the key. I have started to do some stretching before I actually get out of bed in the morning, it sure has helped. If I get up in the middle of the night, then that is a different story. :D You are going to be called the chicken lady soon. That was nice that she gave you those eggs. Sounds like this lady has a lot of fowls.

Have a great weekend!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout (so far) was STS Disc 33/Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps followed by Cathe Live Low Impact HiiT Circuit. I say ‘so far’ because I decided to sign up for Cathe’s Virtual Road Trip, which starts this afternoon. So two more workouts for me today…..kickboxing and stretch. I am looking forward to doing another virtual road trip. I learned a lot last year.

Thelma, great workouts. I hope your new chickens settle in well and remain healthy. I hope you love those fresh eggs she gave you. As I mentioned before, I loved the fresh eggs we were able to get in England and Alaska. So good. I can’t believe we are entering our last month of STS either. I have really enjoyed it, but I have to admit….I am counting how many STS workouts we have left. :D I am looking forward to the break too.

Laurie, great workout. On a cold, rainy day, a lighter workout always feels good. We have four more weeks in our rotation (three STS weeks and one recovery week). We will start our break right after Thanksgiving. I think I need the mental break from a strictly scheduled rotation as much as I need the physical break. :) I am glad your MIL is back home. Hopefully she is able to get around okay. Have fun at your party. Cathe says she is dressing up for all the workouts this weekend. The most I will do is wear orange and black. B) I just can’t imagine wanting to workout in a costume.

Enjoy the weekend.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi Ladies, I hope you had a great weekend. Ours was busy and stressful. I was scheduled to do a glucose curve on my cat and the glucometer for some reason was giving us low numbers for her on Saturday. I decided to suspend the curve and research glucometers; which was time consuming and overwhelming. There are glucometers for pets but they all have bad reviews and error out a lot. I've always used human ones for my cats per Tufts University veterinaries. We got another one for humans.

We were able to do the curve on Sunday but it was also very stressful. I couldn't get her to bleed enough for me. Thankfully after all that stress I was able to demonstrate she isn't diabetic.

The new chickens are doing great and are very friendly. One of them is very curious and friendly. DH started wearing protective glasses when he cleans out their cage because the curious one was pecking his forehead! LOL. We gave them a good inspection and a dewormer over the weekend. Their bodies are definitely bug free which is a relief given how they were living before.

All weekend felt like it was the right time to start drinking! You know I don't drink because of the meds I take! LOL

This week will be busy for us. I have chiropractor and rheumatologist appointments. DH has his colonoscopy on Tuesday and I have to take him there and wait for him.

My workouts on Friday were a Peloton Ride, yoga and Xtend Barre.
    My workouts on Sunday were Zumba and STS Disc 32 Plyo Legs, stretching.

The weather was rainy, camp and cold around here. It finally stopped raining on Sunday but was still on the chilly side.

Laurie, great workout on Friday. I hope you had a great time at the party. Did you end up dressing up?
    I'm so glad your MIL is back home!

I'm glad you've started to do more stretching. Our bodies need it more as we get older. I've been stretching before I get up in the mornings for years. I'm glad you're able to tell it's helping.

Having chickens is a thing here in the country. The lady who gave us the chickens has a low of fowls. Way too many!

Laurel, fantastic workouts! How was the virtual road trip?

Like I mentioned above the chickens appear to have settled in well and are healthy so far. We had a couple of the fresh eggs this morning but since DH adds egg whites to our eggs, we couldn't tell the difference. Our older hen should be laying her first egg soon. I can't wait!
    I am sure you are counting the STS workouts left in this rotation. I'm ready to ditch them now, but we are so close to the end!

Have a great week ladies!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

I didn't have a chance to workout this weekend. It was non stop running around. DH finally has his car home and the engine compartment looks great. It was 32 deg this morning, I have to start finding all my winter wear. :p

My workout this morning was 30MTF Body Design Cardio Bootcamp & Weighted Kickboxing.

Laurel, I hope that you had a great time with the virtual road trip. I saw some pics that Cathe posted, it sure looks like it was fun. Great job with the workouts that you had done already. I would be ready for a break after the rotation that you have both been through. I'm sure that you will enjoy plugging in some different workouts. We had a good time at the party, but the only people we knew where the host and hostess. We left early, I did need to get up early for church anyway. You will have to let us know how Cathe was able to do her workouts with a costume on. I did see that one of them was with weights.

Thelma, I'm glad to hear that you where able to get a good reading for the glucose. I'm sure that is a relief to know that your cat isn't diabetic. Sounds like a very busy week, hope it all goes well for you both. Nice job on all your workouts! The only thing that DH and I did to dress up for the party, was wearing t-shirts. I wore one that has the ghostbuster logo, and DH's had a name tag on it that said "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." One of our favorite movies is Princess Bride. Ouch for you DH, for sure he will need the eye protection.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! I hope you enjoyed the weekend. Ours was good. I chose a great weekend to spend doing the Road Trip because it was very gloomy and rainy on Friday and Saturday. The only thing DH got done on Saturday because of the weather was running a few errands. But it cleared up nicely yesterday, so we were able to take care of our indoor and outdoor chores.

The Road Trip was fantastic. There were five workouts over Friday and Saturday, and the biggest difference between this Road Trip and the others I have attended (real life and virtual) was Cathe focused much more on weights than previously. Despite having done STS on Friday morning, I was okay with that because the workouts were also somewhat shorter and slower than her usual. She only wore one costume for the workouts, and that was Saturday morning when her ‘backup’ crew was with her. And, of course, she knocked her hat off on the first move! So I think she was much more comfortable without a costume in the other workouts. :)

The best part of the weekend, though, was Saturday night and the ‘fire side chat’. This happened last year, too, and was a conversation that went on hours. And so did this one. What was so good about it is Cathe was so upfront about aging, how it was effecting her, her recommendations for addressing it, etc. Given our conversations here over the last few weeks, you know this is an issue I am dealing with, and, honestly, she gave some fantastic perspective that definitely has me thinking about my best way forward. If either of you are curious on some of the aspects of what she said, I am more than happy to share.

She also announced her new series. It will be a 12 disc program and all strength……or, more accurately, all strength and recovery. She sees it as an STS 2, but with shorter workouts :) , built in recovery workouts, premixes, and different emphases than the Mesocycles of STS. But she said it will be heavy, so in line more with Mesos 2 and 3 and not Meso 1. They are very early in the development phase, but it sounds good to me. She also has a new line of products to support it, including the micro-load gloves she uses in STS.

So, for workouts, Friday’s Road Trip workouts were Cardio Kickboxing and a workout very similar to the Perfect 30 Flow workouts. Saturday there were three workouts: Cardio/Upper Body, Bootcamp and Legs and Glutes. So yesterday, even though I didn’t feel too worn out, I went light and did a 30 minute spin and 30 minutes of yoga. Today was STS Disc 31/Chest and Back, Shock Cardio Double Wave Pyramid HiiT and Xtend Barre Core 1.

Thelma, no doubt that was a stressful weekend! But I am glad your kitty doesn’t have diabetes. It sounds like you have a hectic weeks ahead as well. I am happy your chickens are doing well. Great workouts!!

Laurie, another fantastic sounding workout this morning. That is chilly weather this morning! They are calling for lows near that here on Friday. :o But, thankfully, it will only be for a day or two. I love your DH’s Halloween Shirt! Mandy Patinkin (Inigo) and his wife have been doing some TikTok videos since the pandemic outbreak (his wife is just wonderful). They did one with a fan about what that line meant to him that had everybody crying!! He is a great human being, and that movie is perfection.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi Ladies, my workouts on Monday were a short Peloton ride, zumba because my hips felt tight and STS Disc 31 Chest and Back, stretching.

We had a gorgeous fall day today. It started out on the cool side but once the sun came out the day warmed up. I can't believe we have to change the clocks back this coming weekend!

Laurie, great workout! Your DH must be really happy to have his car back home! You do need to start finding your winter clothes!

It was a huge relief to demonstrate that my cat isn't diabetic
    Love the t-shirts you both wore to the party!

Laurel, great workouts! I'm glad you enjoyed the road trip and learned a lot. I would love for you to share with us what you learned from Cathe.
    I love the idea of shorter STS workouts, premixes and recovery workouts!
    It was a very stressful weekend and thankfully our vet agreed that our cat isn't diabetic.

See you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

This morning's workout was 30MTF Meltdown W1. This one is just Kelly, and she uses medium weights. Had to wear my winter coat this morning, it was 28 deg. :o It is only going to be in the 40's all day.

Laurel, Your weekend sounds great, and I love that Cathe takes that time to talk to all of you for so long. Totally love the sound of the new series, and the fact that she is making them shorter. Meso 1 has always had that dread factor for me, so I'm on board for this series for sure. Of course I'm wondering what she said about cardio and aging, because I know a lot of the older women that I see, are mostly concentrating on weights. Awesome job on all the workouts that you got in, even having done weight work beforehand. I watched Criminal Minds, and loved the character that Mandy Patinkin played. He's one of my favorite actors. Of course Princess Bride has so many great lines, it really is the only movie that I quote from. :D My favorite by far is "Have fun storming the castle".

Thelma, Great workouts! This morning when I was driving to work it was almost dark, so it will get lighter out for a little while as of Sunday. The only problem is the sun will be out again, so people will be slowing down at a certain spot on the freeway. The sun is usually in your eyes, and people start to panic or something. Just in time for the snow to be coming down, and it always seems that an accident happens right there.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was a 60 minute spin followed by 30 minutes of Peloton Pilates. I also took a nice walk, but our temps dropped pretty significantly from yesterday, so it was a bit brisk out. But the sunshine made it worth it.

Here are some of the more interesting points Cathe made this weekend. First off, she admitted that if she didn’t have the flooring she has in her gym (she described how she had it specifically constructed with career longevity in mind), she would definitely no longer be able to do Plyo cardio moves. That certainly gave me some perspective on my expectations for my body after years of working out on concrete. She is just now going through menopause, but she indicated she started seeing the changes in how her joints feel between 53-55, and now she is seeing that weight shift (though she also said she ignores scales).

She indicated that she works out 4-5 times a week and only single workouts each day. I am not sure if this included her instructing though. When she announced this new series, she really emphasized her belief that we all need to lift heavy every now and again. She didn’t specifically mention quantities of cardio, but she made it very clear that she cannot do and does not recommend people do high intensity cardio every day.

I think the recommendation she made that has me thinking the most is….to ignore weekly rotations. :o She actually said, ‘I know I push out those rotations, but just ignore them’. She said, as we age, we need to stop thinking about what workouts we need to get in each week and, instead, focus on how many days we can workout hard before the body needs a break. She said it could be three or four days of work followed by a day or two break or whatever. This is probably the absolute best recommendation, and the one I will have the hardest time adjusting to. :D But I really am going to try because it makes such good sense. Almost every bit of workout advise is based on how many of what we need to do each week, but, seriously, the body doesn’t know what day of the week it is. :) I know that some weeks by Friday I am exhausted, and some of those workouts done on Friday would probably have been far more effective if I had taken Wednesday off…..or whatever. But since the day I started working out in the 1980s, I have always focused my workouts around the standard work week, which has always had me working out for at least five days straight. That is going to be one seriously difficult habit to break! But, like I said, I am going to try because my body is telling me to. :)

Thelma, great workouts! It has definitely gotten chilly here today, and our high tomorrow is only supposed to be in the 40’s! I am so not ready for the clocks to change next week. That early sunset is an absolute energy killer for me.

Laurie, great workout. But brrrrrr….you have gotten cold suddenly too. My favorite line from Princess Bride is ‘Inconceivable’. :D Actually, there are too many, like ‘never get involved in a land war in Asia’. Just so witty.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    edited November 2021
    Hi Ladies, DH had his colonoscopy today. It appears that it was colonoscopy/endoscopy day at the hospital. It wasn't like that at all when I had my endoscopy there before. DH had to wait about 2 3/4 hours before they actually started the procedure. Most of the time was spent in the waiting room. I stayed with him till his doctor showed up to review his paperwork.
    Everything was normal including his blood pressure and heart. They do a mini EKG for the anesthesiologist.

The day was beautiful but at the end of the day the cold wind kicked in. I had to put my sweatshirt's hood on because that wind was cold. I'm so glad I saved my long down coat because I'm going to need it when I go tend the coop.

We have have to leave the house at 7:30 tomorrow morning so I can make it to my new rheumatologist's office for my first appointment there. I hate the travel part but my current one doesn't care about her patients. I went online to review her notes and there are no notes! She copies and pastes a generic note every time! I told her my finger joints were hurting in September and there was no note of that nor did she do anything about it. I've been wanting to fire her for a long time because of the convenience of her coming here but enough is enough.

My workouts today were a Peloton ride, abs and yoga.

Laurie, great workout. Wow that was cold! We are expecting temps to drop into the low 30's at night over the weekend. We will be working on making the coop draft proof! We started tonight because the coop is definitely drafty.
    I hate this time of the year when you can't see where you're going because of the sun!

Laurel, great workouts!
    thanks for sharing the things you learned from Cathe. I know about her workout floor because I learned from her when I was researching my aerobics floor 4-5 years ago after I hurt my foot by jumping on the hard concrete floor in the basement.

I would expect that her class is her own workout though. Does she do the entire class when she teaches live or does she walk around the room to check people out?
    The beauty of the short workouts is that we can do multiple workouts on a given day and not feel like we just ran a marathon.

I agree with Cathe on the high intensity cardio every day. I worry more about the high impact part of some workouts.

The way my body feels with these STS workouts supports what Cathe said about working out hard and break days. By the time Thursday rolls around my body is tired; which is why I try to do the lifting early in the week. I like to get lifting done by Wednesday when possible, definitely by Thursday. I think that by Thursday my body wants low impact cardio and yoga, barre or pilates type of workouts. I think I need to listen to my body about this more! I've been feeling like this for months but I thought it was due to STS being so hard on the body. I think this is why I started to think about doing 1 week of STS and one recovery week or at least what we used to call recovery weeks.

I am thinking 1 STS week, 1 week with lighter weight lifting workouts, followed by a true recovery week. I still can't imagine having a week without weights. Maybe we just need to do short sculpting workouts. I feel that those Xtend Barre workouts can really kill the arms! LOL
    We do need to try Laurel because obviously your body is talking to you too about it feeling tired. I can't imagine not having a rotation though. I just think we need to get the weight lifting out of the way early in the week. I'll go back to my usual upper body work on Sundays so I can do legs on Monday and the second upper body workout Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am definitely going to rethink the recovery week to make it more of a recovery.

I seem to sleep so much better since we moved here that the earlier day light doesn't affect my wake up time. I do want us to get rid of daylight savings time though.

Talk to you tomorrow!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

Can't believe it, but this morning was actually colder than yesterday. :p My workout was 30MTF Body Design Light Dumbbell Cardio Sculpting & Stronger/Leaner Lower. I used 4lb weights, and I think that was heavy enough. She said not to go higher than 5lbs. The leg workout was also good, and it ended with some barre type work.

Laurel, Nice workouts! Thank you so much for the information that Cathe gave you. Everything that she mentioned is what I have gone through. Sure do hate that shifting weight, and tell me why does it need to go to our stomach? I think that I have been progressing almost exactly as Cathe has said, so that makes me feel good. My body just couldn't keep up with the rotations. I do need to adjust some things, so that I get in more stretching though.

Thelma, Glad to hear all things are good with your DH, but dang on the wait. I wasn't able to wait for DH, but they did let me be with him after the procedure. Hope all goes well for you with your new doctor, and sorry to hear that you had to go through a bad one. I would imagine the chickens will enjoy having a coop that isn't drafty. ;) Our temps are going to get a little better next week, but we are in the fall/winter portion of our season for sure.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was STS Disc 39/Squat Rack Legs followed by Cathe Live Cardio Kickboxing and Core. And a brisk walk with DH in our chilly temperatures. It is still in the low 40’s at noon! :o

Thelma, great workouts on a busy day. I am sorry your DH’s appointment was so crazy, but glad it went well. Hope everything goes well with your appointment today.

I have to admit I have a million ideas rolling around in my head for how to move forward with workouts. I think our next rotation will be a real learning experience. :D I need a couple of weeks off strength training to heal up some tendonitis, but beyond that….I don’t want weeks without strength training either. Honestly, I think my natural rhythm right now would look something like four days on, one day recovery, four days on, one day recovery. And recovery would be no intense cardio, no weights and include body movement or mobility workouts and yoga. Right now, I am doing six days on, one recovery. But I really want to test that 4 on/1 off out to see how it feels mentally and physically. Since you are putting your weight workouts early in the week, you are already kind of on that schedule, but maybe without a complete recovery day following your weight work.

But I also think a lot depends on what kind of strength training we are doing. Split sessions like STS will be completely different than doing alternating upper and lower or total body workouts. And those latter types of lifting……I am not sure what my rhythm would be. One thing I learned during the early part of this STS rotation is doing one body part workouts each day is far more taxing on me than the split sessions of STS, and that is exactly opposite of what I expected! So I think after our recovery weeks in early December, I am going to suggest several weeks of playing around with different styles of lifting and recording everything (as Laurie suggested) to be able to come up with effective day-not-week-based rotations going forward. Because, like you, I want a rotation.

I am open to all suggestions, but I kind of think we may end up doing what we did in the early days of STS with the one split sessions week/one one body part week using the same workouts (which I think is important)…..but, obviously not with STS or one body part workouts……to see how our bodies react to each style. So, for instance, one week we might do LITE Pyramid Pump and do the upper and lower body workouts twice each. Then the next week, we might do it as a total body workout twice in the week. Then (if I can figure out how), we could do a week of split sessions (three upper body sections in a workout, one lower body session and one workout with two upper body sections and core….or something like that). Then for the fourth week, we could do something else with the series (like different split sessions or one body part or something) or repeat a week to see how it feels again.

And what I would like to do is do this with a few different lifting styles. So Pyramid Pump is, obviously high rep. Then we could use something like RWH LIHI or Perfect 30 for more strength and just keep trying different types of workouts in different ways. I would think after a few months of this, we would both have a really good idea what we prefer, what our bodies and minds prefer, so we can map a good rotation forward, especially if we are going to tackle STS again. How we put together a rotation for Meso 1 might differ wildly from what Meso 3 would look like.

I forgot to mention cardio. If we do this, I think we need to be very consistent with our cardio in terms of intensity and time. That is more a note for me when I decide at the last minute to go for a 75 minute spin instead of a 30 minute spin. B) That doesn’t mean we will be locked in to specific cardio routines, but just that we ensure the cardio isn’t a distraction to the strength training (if we are going to put primary focus on strength training moving forward, which I think we will).

Like I said, I have a million thoughts about this right now! Let me know what you think please!!!

Laurie, great workout. I was thinking about you quite a bit when Cathe was making her recommendations because it does seem that you have found a pretty natural rhythm for your workouts, and you know what works for you and what doesn’t. My mind and body have been in a struggle for years because I know strength training (especially heavy) is what my body loves to do most, but I need cardio for my brain. And that is why I am such a mess. :D I just need to find the right balance of both. And, yep, that belly weight is such a nuisance. There’s no hiding it anymore. :#

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi Ladies, it was a long day but managed to get my STS Disc 33 Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps as well as a short Gina B Low Impact workout.

The hospital I went to is a massive complex and very nice but found out that they won't take Blue Cross Blue Shield next year! So much for going there! Probably just as well because I found the doctor to be arrogant. I will go one more time in December to get test results and that will probably be it. I'm stuck right now with my current doctor.

The afternoon turned cold but not as windy as Tuesday, then it rained.

Laurie, great workouts! I love the wounds of that sculpting workout!
    Bummer about those cold temps! I read something about the Jetstream bringing really cold temps here over the weekend.

Our local hospital allows a guest with the patient. The hospital I went to doesn't. DH took me and he had to wait outside in the car but went for a walk around the huge complex.

Laurel, great workouts and kudos to you for doing the Squat Rack workout.

I also think the next rotation will be a real learning experience. It definitely is important to find the workout rhythm our bodies like. I feel that I can do 3 weight lifting workouts a week and three lighter workouts such as yoga, cardio, pilates and they may include baby weights.

I like the idea of STS one week, followed by a week of one body part with a non-STS workout. I think this will be key because like you, I found the STS one body part week to be exhausting. I think that week with two total body workouts will be great! I like split sessions but STS is a hard one. She should definitely throw non-STS split sessions in. LOL.

I think you're coming up with really good ideas for the next rotation. Cardio definitely needs to be included. I really keep cardio short and lite during an STS day.

Will talk to you tomorrow ladies!
    Thelma

• lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

Another cold morning. My workout was 30MTF Meltdown W2. This one uses a heavy bag. I started off with 1-1/2lb egg weights, but had to take it down to 1lb. The movements where to fast for the heavier weights.

Laurel, Great workouts! Those cold temps sure do make you walk a little faster through. :D I can really tell that your mind is working on the next rotation. I found it interesting that you brought up Perfect 30, because that is going to be my workouts next week. I'm going to do the strength and yoga, but for cardio I'm putting in Kelly's Raw workouts. I'm also going to do the P30 Premixes for upper body, by doing the spilt Back, Biceps & Shoulders, and then Chest & Triceps but include abs since the body part premix one is only 15 min. That was the best way for me to get ab work in. :D I'm sure that you will come up with something that works.

Thelma, Sorry to hear about the doctor visit. I hope that you are able to find a better doctor next year. I'm not looking forward to winter this year, just don't know why. Good on your DH for getting in that walk while he waited. I know sitting in a car isn't fun. I actually went to a quilt store while DH was at his appointment, and they called when he was done. I actually enjoyed not sitting around waiting.

Have a great day!
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today was a 60 minute spin, 20 minutes of core with Peloton and a 25 mobility workout with Open Fit. The mobility workout was pretty simple, but I really enjoyed it.

Thelma, great workout. But I am sorry you didn’t like the new doctor. I really hope you can find a better one soon. I am glad your DH was able to get in a walk while he waited for you. So here is my plan for the four weeks after STS (starting November 28). Please know that I am nursing a pretty decent case of tendonitis in my left elbow which is why I am setting things up this way. Since you aren’t, please do what works for you.

Week 1–Recovery (and I mean it this time :) ). I will be doing all low impact cardio (spin and non-spin), yoga/Pilates/Stretch every day. If I do any lower body specific work, it will either be barre or floor work, but no weights and no more than two workouts like that during the week. I will probably do cardio 5-6 of the days, but try to keep it under 45 minutes. I may also try to do 1-3 core focused workouts but short ones. I am going to try to keep my daily workout regimen in the 60-90 minute range.

Week 2—Semi-Recovery. ;) I will ramp up the intensity on the cardio, but do at least half the cardio workouts as low impact. I will continue with the yoga/Pilates/Stretch every day. I will do 2-3 weighted lower body workouts during the week and again add core specific work. I may alternate cardio days with the lower body days depending on the intensity of my lower body workouts. But if I do a lower body workout and cardio in the same day, my goal is to keep the total workout time of those elements at 60 minutes or less. My total workout time I hope to keep in the 75-105 minute range.

Week 3–Metabolic Week. This week will look a lot like our current Recovery Week except I will substitute light weight metabolic workouts where we have our total body workout (Monday) and the PHA workout (Friday).

Week 4–Our Current Recovery Week.

I have kind of drafted up an 8 week rotation after this. I need to massage it a bit, but it will be weeks of 5 strong workout days and two recovery days (and I mean recovery :) ). I don’t think I will lay out a days-of-the-week plan so we can choose which workouts feel good for which days and take our recoveries when we need them. Those eight weeks will include the barre, Pilates and yoga workouts we have discussed as well. And each week will feature a different style of lifting and different workout program. But more on that later.

And, hopefully, at the end of these three months we have a better understanding of how to approach STS when we start it again around the first of March. Let me know what you think.

Laurie, great workout. We have a frost warning for tonight….the first of the year. DH bought these beautiful hanging plants back in April that are still in full bloom (and have been since April). I keep saying we need to get rid of them, but I….just can’t. They have become huge (I can barely lift them). DH is going to roll his eyes at me when he finds them in the garage when he gets home tonight. But I can’t let them die from the frost! But I also know he is going to have to take care of doing something about them this weekend because we simply can’t store them for the winter. Anyhow, yes my brain is going crazy on possibilities for workout plans and patterns. I think I am suffering from having too many options available. It was far more simple when I had about 15 VHS tapes to choose from. :D I hope you enjoy revisiting Perfect 30. I wasn’t aware she had split set premixes for those workouts! What a great way to add on some fantastic strength work to your program. I really love the Perfect 30 series.

See you tomorrow.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi Ladies, my workouts on Thursday were Slow Flow Yoga, Gina B. Hiit Walk, Pickleball and stretching. I went to the yoga studio today and I loved it. The experience of in person yoga I don't get when I do online yoga from either Peloton or OpenFit. I think it feels more spiritual which is something I love.

I reinjured the upper hamstring/low glute area during pickleball today again! BUMMER! It's not as bad as the first time but the tear feeling was just the same. I've been icing, massaging, gently stretching and I even applied heat. I feel it when doing a forward fold with straight legs as well as squats.

We had a rainy morning and a cloudy afternoon; which made the foliage colors pop. We have frost warnings for Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. I saw snowflake symbols for the weekend too on my weather app!

DH turns 58 on Friday. I can't believe it! We'll be going out to dinner with some friends.

Laurie, great workout! You're getting your money's worth out of those egg weights!
    What a great idea to use the Perfect 30 strength premixes! I need to look at those too!

Thanks Laurie, I hope I'm able to find a better doctor. I think what it means is simply traveling further south of here. The place I went to was 45 south of here. I was reading my book while I waited with DH, He kept telling me to leave but I wanted to stay there with him.

Laurel, great workouts today!
    I hope I can find a better doctor soon. I miss of MA are my doctors big time!

I'm really sorry you hurt your elbow Laurel. I didn't ask about the tendonitis last night because I thought you were giving me a hypothetical! How do you think it happened? Lifting too heavy? Now the two of us are injured!

I love the rotation. It will be a true recovery rotation at first and how it ramps up toward the end in preparation for the STS rotation. I will probably include some upper body work. I can't wait! It sounds sooo good. Thank you so much for putting so much thought into our rotations.

Have a great weekend ladies!
    Thelma
  • lvnascar
    Morning Ladies,

My workout this morning was 30MTF Body Design Upper Body Strength & Yoga Flow. Nice way to end the week. My oldest is coming over tonight to visit, and hopefully she will go out to dinner with us. A friend of ours is celebrating his 60th.

Laurel, Very nice workouts! Looks like you have a solid plan for your new rotation. I like the goals that you set for the amount of time with the workouts. It was really hard for me to limit myself, but my body really has been a lot more happy with me. I also enjoy a better sleep pattern, since my joints are not hurting so much. I had that same problem with our mums, they where so large and pretty. I did leave those out, and of course the frost probably got them. I have not wanted to look. ;) I'm planning on putting them in the basement, and plant them in the spring. I have enough garden space, so I'm hoping they take in the spring. Oh I remember those days of limited VHS workouts. :D

Thelma, Awesome job with the yoga. Sorry to hear about the pickleball re-injury. I do hope that it heals quickly. Nice that you are enjoying the in person yoga. Oh my on the snowflake, I sure hope that you don't have that to deal with. I have not seen any sign of snow for us, and I hope that stays away for a while. I think that the premixes will be good, that way I can add on ab, stretch or any of the add ons that Kelly has made. If I enjoy this week, I may extend it for another one.

Have a great weekend,
    Laurie
  • StiringWendel
    Hi Ladies! Today’s workout was STS Disc 33/Shoulders, Biceps and Triceps. For cardio, I did Cathe Live Cardio, Barre and Core Meltdown. I finished it with 10 minutes of hip focused yoga flow. Boy were my hips tight today. :o

Thelma, great workouts, but I am sorry to hear about the injury. Hopefully it heals up quickly. I think my tendonitis came on from a combination of yard work and golf. It is pretty classic golfer’s elbow. It was bothering me in August, then when DH and I played 27 holes of golf on a Saturday in early September…..that wasn’t smart. B) The week off I took from upper body work last recovery week really helped. I wear a sleeve when lifting and I don’t do lateral raises for my shoulders since that puts so much stress on that part of the arm. Since it is getting better instead of worse even with all of the heavy lifting, I am pretty confident that two solid weeks away from upper body work will do the trick. This is not the first time I have had this, but it was in my right arm the last time. Anyhow, I am glad you like the sound of the plan going forward. I will get you the plans for January and February as soon as I can. And then we will be back at STS in March! I hope your DH has a wonderful birthday!

Laurie, that is a fantastic sounding workout. It’s funny you mention sleep because I have been struggling with sleep all week. Nothing has really changed….except I did the Road Trip last weekend! I am thinking my body might be telling me I felt that more than I thought I felt it. I think it is a good thing we are going into recovery next week. I was researching whether we could plant these flowers in the ground and keep them alive but…..nope. So they will have to go away this weekend. I really shouldn’t let myself get so attached to plants with the word ‘annual’ in their name. :p I hope you enjoy your time with your DD and your friend.

Enjoy the weekend.

Laurel
  • ThelmaSW
    Hi Ladies, I hope you had a great weekend. Ours was good and as usual busy. We spent a good part of Saturday afternoon trying to winterize the chicken coop and made a nice dent.

Saturday was cold and windy so it wasn't fun being outside. Sunday was warmer and it felt so good! We did have our first frost Saturday night. No snow! YAAAY!
    This week will be much warmer than last week.

My workouts on Friday were gentle yoga, a Peloton Ride and barre.
    Sunday's workouts Peloton ride, abs and Great Glutes.

My hamstring injure is better. I think icing it really helped.

Laurie, great workouts! I'm glad you're doing more yoga.
    I hope you had a great time with your DD.

I've been nursing my injury and thankfully, it is doing better.

Laurel, great workouts!!

Sorry about your elbow tendonitis. I hope it will get better soon. It definitely needs rest.

Have a great week ladies!
    Thelma