Little trick for eating greek yogurt

Replies

• stephb130181
    stephb130181 Posts: 56 Member
    I put a little honey in it and sometimes add some granola with it.
  • ladylambeau
    ladylambeau Posts: 38 Member
    Danon light n fit greek yogurts have a very reasonable amount of sugar (7g in vanilla) with a variety of amazing flavors - probably less sugar than you're getting from PB or honey. Just a thought!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Honestly, when you reduce the sugar in your diet (including "fake" sugars), you will begin to taste the real sweetness in foods. Adding in fake sugar isn't healthy or a viable long-term solution.

When I cut out sugar I was able to eat Greek yogurt plain and have it taste sweet to me. :)

True in many cases, but some people will simply never enjoy plain greek yogurt. It's definitely not my cup of tea and alternative ways to eat it are nice.
  • cmh7770
    cmh7770 Posts: 31 Member
    Hi! Once you get used to it, you'll learn to love it! Try mixing it with some onion soup mix during special events to dip your veggies in! You will never know the difference! Also, try mixing in a few tablespoons of slivered almonds and some cinnamon. Also yummy!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Plain Greek yogurt with ice cream sandwich protein powder is my new go to. I just did this the other day when I was out of almond milk.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    I didn't read all the responses so, sorry if this is redundant...

Puréed fruit snack pouches intended for kids...squeeze about an ounce of it into Greek yogurt and it's awesome. Many brands contain only puréed fruit, with maybe some fruit juice concentrates. A little bit goes a long way for very few calories. And so many favors! It makes a yummy, sweet fruit yogurt...but without the syrupy "fruit on the bottom" they are typically made with.

I'm not someone who thinks eating baby food is an appropriate way to feed oneself, lol, I know these are typically made for toddlers and small children, so that's where you may find them in a supermarket, but really....it's just very convenient puréed fruit.
  • Jillian130
    Jillian130 Posts: 174 Member
    I can only stand to eat Vanilla Greek yogurt and I will add some peanut butter to it. Other times, I put vanilla greek yougurt in a mini waffle bowl, feeze it for about 10 minutes then add fresh raspberries, blueberries & strawberries...delicious frozen treat.
  • JohnLang2013
    JohnLang2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Greek yoghurt with a dash of honey is my current FAVOURITE desert. Nothing beats it.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Greek yoghurt with a dash of honey is my current FAVOURITE desert. Nothing beats it.

I agree! Throw a few blueberries or strawberries on there and I am in HEAVEN. I also blend those up together and freeze them. Delicious frozen yogurt!
  • JohnLang2013
    JohnLang2013 Posts: 9 Member

I agree! Throw a few blueberries or strawberries on there and I am in HEAVEN. I also blend those up together and freeze them. Delicious frozen yogurt!

Ohh... strawberries! Should have thought of that before. As for freezing: Does the yogurt not form ice crystals?
  • WadeLam
    WadeLam Posts: 224 Member
    Never done this myself, but a girl here at work is on the South Beach diet and mixes in a few drops of Crystal Light flavoring (the ones meant for bottled water). There's tons of different flavor options with this trick! :)
  • kellyallday
    kellyallday Posts: 137 Member
    Niiice... BUMP!
    I usually put mine into recipes.. Right now I'm munching a chicken salad:

5-6oz of plain greek yogurt
    4oz chicken - I generally boil or bake it, depending on what else I'm eating that week.. and then let it cool down
    1/2 of an apple
    Spices - I always mix it around differently, right now I've got 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, and 1 tsp of oregano bc i'm addicted to it atm
    I also added 2 strips of bacon because I'm a jerk who loves bacon

Mix all that up & you're done :smile:
    It makes two or three servings depending on how much you eat - I've slammed the whole thing at once before though lol

For the entire recipe, this worked out to 310 calories, 22g carbs, 29g of protein, and 13g of fat (without bacon it would've been 4g of fat and 18g protein)
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Plain Greek yogurt with ice cream sandwich protein powder is my new go to. I just did this the other day when I was out of almond milk.

I had no idea there was such a thing as ice cream sandwich protein powder!! Where do you find that stuff...at a health food store?
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    I just put a little strawberry jam in mine.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    thnks, wish i read this 15 minutes ago, taking my first try at overnight oatmeal. might try this trick tomorrow.
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    I didn't read all the responses so, sorry if this is redundant...

Puréed fruit snack pouches intended for kids...squeeze about an ounce of it into Greek yogurt and it's awesome. Many brands contain only puréed fruit, with maybe some fruit juice concentrates. A little bit goes a long way for very few calories. And so many favors! It makes a yummy, sweet fruit yogurt...but without the syrupy "fruit on the bottom" they are typically made with.

I'm not someone who thinks eating baby food is an appropriate way to feed oneself, lol, I know these are typically made for toddlers and small children, so that's where you may find them in a supermarket, but really....it's just very convenient puréed fruit.

It's just pureed fruit. Expensive but still just fruit. Like you said it's not like your diet consists 100% of the stuff. If you want to go cheaper (and tastier) make it a DIY project and stream some fruits and puree them yourself and freeze the puree. It's way less expensive.

Just steam (or bake) your fruit (or veg -- pumpkin and sweet potato are yummy with yogurt) until it's soft and mash it with a fork/masher/ricer or food processor/blender and put in ice cube trays (or on a sheet pan by the spoonful) freeze until firm and transfer to zip top bags. You can use fresh, frozen or drained canned fruit. Just don't cook your canned fruit or your bananas and add a little juice that is fortified with Vitamin C to your bananas before freezing.
  • joansjourney
    joansjourney Posts: 110
    All I'm dreaming about now is a tuna sandwich made with Greek yogurt..
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Yummy ideas in this thread.
  • Italianma7
    Italianma7 Posts: 83 Member
    Pumpkin spice mmmmm
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Decent tip. Thank you.

However, I like using greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute sometimes.