Quick question for Americans!

Options
13»

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I thought half-and-half was about the percentage fat of a milk, somewhere between full and skimmed.

nope, it is half light cream, and half whole milk.

the progression is:

heavy cream (not common for beverages)
    light cream (standard cream in any dunkin donuts or tim hortons and such)
    half and half (most often served in little single portion containers, also in pint and quart cartons at the grocery store)
    whole milk (5% milkfat)
    2% milk
    1% milk
    skim milk

there is also non-dairy liquid creamer that comes in regular, fat free, and about a hundred flavors....
    and then there is non dairy powdered creamer, which is just gross, but I guess it is a necessary evil for those who need a non refrigerated product and/or are lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy.

I worked in the coffee shop/breakfast restaurant industry for 15 years, before I went into banking and finance, I know/used and ordered all these supplied for many companies.
    :drinker: <---coffee with skim milk..lol
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Options
    It's generally shorthand for anything that's used as a lightener in the coffee. I used to work in coffee shops and a request for cream had to be followed up with the question, "What kind?"

And it's funny, your point about jam vs. jelly has been the source of many arguments between my boyfriend and myself. I'll say something like, "Do you want jelly on your toast?" and he'll respond, "Eew, no, I want jam." At which point my head starts spinning around and I start shooting blood out of my ears and screaming, "THEY'RE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME THING AND YOU KNOW DAMN WELL WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. DO YOU WANT A CONCOCTION OF CANNED BOILED FRUIT PRESERVED WITH SUGAR SMEARED ON YOUR TOASTED BREAD OR NOT?" Seriously, I can't tell the difference; does it really matter? :laugh:

My husband will only eat jelly, while I prefer preserves. We fight about it too!
  • lionskitty
    lionskitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    (atleast in Canada, where I'm pretty sure dairy standards are the same)

Milk comes in 0%, 1%, 2% and whole(3.25%?) the little things they give you for your coffee when you ask for milk are usually the 2% variety.

Cream for coffee is usually 10%MF cream for whipping is 35%MF so is it cream? Yes, but there are different MF(Milk fat) levels.

If they give you the little plastic creamers seperate, they should have the fat% printed on them.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If I ask for cream I expect to get cream, or possibly half-and-half. If they gave me coffee with milk I'd send it back.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    It means anything other than black. So "cream" can cover fat free skim milk all the way up to half and half which is practically cream.

^^^ This... oh and here jelly and jam are not the same thing... jam has fruit bits in it (much like preserves), jelly is more like geletin that you spread onto your toast/bread/etc.