weight loss and min calorie intake?

13»

Replies

• I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!
    Google Clean Eating- good recipes as well.

Please stop making things up.

First no less than 1800 cals for any woman, regardless of ht/wt/age?

Do tell how low one would have to eat to "stop your metabolism", you know you'd be dead, right?
    First, anyone should know that it will not literally stop but it will def put put a great halt in it. I am saying by experience that I didnt start losing weight until I bumped up my calories and ate healthy choices. And another thing I never mentioned anything about height/weight/age... I said no less than 1800 for ANY WOMAN!.. So read before you quote anyone!

Do you have anything to back up that it will "def" put a "great halt" on your metabolism, over and above the amount one would expect to see from weight loss?

And yes, I did read it, and I said it's pure silliness to not take into account one's ht/wt/age/activity levels and saying 1800 cals for all. Good thing you no longer work in the nutrition field...
    only thing I am saying to that is I have the proof on my body working it.. I am losing the weight and I dont have to count every damn calorie that comes into my mouth.. Seems like you just want to make yourself look better than anyone so go beat off somewhere.. Good day to YOU!
  • lisasays
    lisasays Posts: 142 Member
    I agree about throwing out the stupid shakes! I have yet to see one that is nutrient rich. Eat real food!

Make a green smoothie for breakfast instead: 2 cups spinach, frozen and fresh fruit (like banana,blueberries) add flax seed or protein powder and you have a healthy "shake". You can not taste the spinach and it adds very little calories, no fat and tons of nutrients.
    For lunch, eat fruits and veggies to your hearts desire. Make a HUGE salad and add beans and fruits and measure out your dressing so you dont add too many calories.

For dinner, add steamed veggies or veggies roasted with little to no oil. I roast vegetables with no oil all the time and it works fine. You can eat tons!
    Get your calories from the most nutrient sources on the planet (vegetables, fruits, seeds, nuts, beans) and you will see the weight drop off and feel amazing - I promise!
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!

Do tell how low one would have to eat to "stop your metabolism", you know you'd be dead, right?
    First, anyone should know that it will not literally stop but it will def put put a great halt in it. I am saying by experience that I didnt start losing weight until I bumped up my calories and ate healthy choices. And another thing I never mentioned anything about height/weight/age... I said no less than 1800 for ANY WOMAN!.. So read before you quote anyone!

Do you have anything to back up that it will "def" put a "great halt" on your metabolism, over and above the amount one would expect to see from weight loss?

And yes, I did read it, and I said it's pure silliness to not take into account one's ht/wt/age/activity levels and saying 1800 cals for all. Good thing you no longer work in the nutrition field...
    only thing I am saying to that is I have the proof on my body working it.. I am losing the weight and I dont have to count every damn calorie that comes into my mouth.. Seems like you just want to make yourself look better than anyone so go beat off somewhere.. Good day to YOU!

How is YOUR body at all relevant to someone who has a vastly different body type? "Works for you" is not grounds for throwing out absolute numbers and making sweeping generalizations.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Throw away all those silly shakes.
    Those are garbage. You will fail drinking that stuff.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

She has over 100lb to lose. Going up to 2lb a week for a while is fine.
    Maybe, but the slower the better. Take the 2 years.
    People in a race with nature finish last.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!

Prof in your body skittles8810? No offense but Acg67's body is much better then yours... and he is right. Probably because he knows his stuff. If I had to eat that required "1800" calories you pulled out of your you know what I would gain or at the very least maintain especially if their was alot of protein! Every woman/person is different. To maintain my weight i need 1500 for my size with no exercising. All of your statements are ridiculous. Clean food/crappy food. its the calories that say it all. Granted you body functions much better on clean food a calorie is a calorie none the same.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Throw away all those silly shakes.
    Those are garbage. You will fail drinking that stuff.
    Losing fat is actually very simple but just hard work.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

She has over 100lb to lose. Going up to 2lb a week for a while is fine.
    Maybe, but the slower the better. Take the 2 years.
    People in a race with nature finish last.

Not necessarily - if it takes that long most people give up. At a certain level of overweightness (I think I just made that word up!) then the benefits of getting the weight off will outway the slow but steady approach. There is absolutely no reason why someone with 100lb to lose cannot set their goal at 2lb a week for a while and it be healthy and sustainable. Note, I say for a while - not permanently.
  • I recommend no lower than 1800 cals a day for any woman. But I really dont count calories that much, I log it here but i really dont care. I eat clean and watch my portions not my calories. If you eat veggies and natural foods you do not have to worry about counting calories as bad. Clean Eats is the way to go! If you lower your calorie intake to much you will stall or stop your metabolism, so up your food intake but with healthy and natural foods. There's no way you are gonna eat 1000 calories with fresh veggies, and if you do its not fat. Not saying to load a salad up and then turn around and put all that cheese and dressing on it, that is silly, seen it done though. -_- silly people!

Prof in your body skittles8810? No offense but Acg67's body is much better then yours... and he is right. Probably because he knows his stuff. If I had to eat that required "1800" calories you pulled out of your you know what I would gain or at the very least maintain especially if their was alot of protein! Every woman/person is different. To maintain my weight i need 1500 for my size with no exercising. All of your statements are ridiculous. Clean food/crappy food. its the calories that say it all. Granted you body functions much better on clean food a calorie is a calorie none the same.
    Wow, no one gets it do they, i never said to eat 1800 calories, i am saying not to go under it.. wow.. I am saying when I ate a certain amount of calories that i was not losing weight, i upped my calories, i eat 2000 cals a day. I work out 3 times a day , 6 days a week. i need the cals some days i dont need as much food as others.. i am saying that every one is different but i know its unhealthy to go under a certain amount of cals and yes we all have different body sizes and burn rates. And for the record I have lost this weight in 2months yea he may have a better body but i imagine it took him longer than a damn month to get it and he wasnt living off 1200 cals a day or doing fad diets either like most do.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Wow, no one gets it do they, i never said to eat 1800 calories, i am saying not to go under it..

We get exactly what you're saying. And you're wrong.
  • tsmith6569
    tsmith6569 Posts: 63
    Wow, no one gets it do they, i never said to eat 1800 calories, i am saying not to go under it..

We get exactly what you're saying. And you're wrong.

If I ate 1799 calories a day, I would gain weight at an alarming rate. That's me. I fall into the category of ANY WOMAN and I need to eat less than 1800 calories a day to lose weight. Sad, but true.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member

Not necessarily - if it takes that long most people give up. At a certain level of overweightness (I think I just made that word up!) then the benefits of getting the weight off will outway the slow but steady approach. There is absolutely no reason why someone with 100lb to lose cannot set their goal at 2lb a week for a while and it be healthy and sustainable. Note, I say for a while - not permanently.

I totally agree. I've never even seen anything (besides here) that says you have to slow down your aims as you get closer to goal. Obviously things slow down on their own, but from all I've heard and read, you're safe aiming for 2 lbs/week all along. I'd love to read other opinions, from reputable sources (not internet trainers and bloggers, I mean). I've always fought with 50 and under and always strived for 2 lbs/week.
  • kbutlerrvt
    kbutlerrvt Posts: 41
    I currently weight 240 and I'm 5'4".My husband is trying to do this with me but I've been a bit more aggressive about it than he has.And we were kind of comparing what we had done during the week and he said that he didn't think I was taking in enough calories.I will check out those sights.Thank you.

Well first off...he is male. It is worlds easier for men than women since our bodies are made to procreate. I would not compare anything with him when it comes to weight loss. I tried that when my fiance and I started losing weight together in August and it was far too discouraging. Also, you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day to maintain its normal body functions. (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php) In addition, you need to make sure that you are eating the appropriate amount of vitamins and minerals. Losing weight does not mean that you have to go without by any means. It is a matter of eating the right portions. I had 7 Oreos today along with three square meals. I was still under. I would recommend changing your desired rate of weight loss here on MFP to 1-1.5 lbs a week instead of 2 (which, I know, is the first instinct.) Let it calculate what you should eat as far as calories. I have found in the times that I eat closer to the high end while still staying under. I am not trying to sound rude. Just sharing things that I had to find out through trial and error. Feel free to add me as a friend! I am quite supportive!