I've never been so happy with my ex.

12346»

Replies

• Babymomakell
    Babymomakell Posts: 257 Member

People like you... are the kind of people I'm glad I don't know...

There is no reason to be nasty.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    An engagement ring has to be given back if the marriage never happens. He can actually sue you for it.

It depends on the state in which they live. In some states it's considered a gift not a condition of marriage.

I would hope that if it didn't work out and wasn't just the guy being a cheater or a douche, that a little sense of morality would compel most to return the ring... but sadly this doesn't seem to be the case around here... :frown:

If you read the entire post the OP states she did send the ring back to him and he sent it back to her because he didn't want it and he told her to sell it. She did.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    I sent it to him and he mailed it back.
    He says that I'm the devil and that he doesn't want it back. I'm a sunday school teacher and I leave in January to do missionary work, so I never really understood...

He told me to sell it. So I did. :)
    No one should be dumped over text message. Especially by their fiancé.
    I don't feel bad.

Take the money, and put it aside, you are going to do missionary work - you never know when you might need the extra cash.

^ Amen
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    An engagement ring has to be given back if the marriage never happens. He can actually sue you for it.

^Agreed. There is actually a law against spending the money. Gifts in contemplation of a marriage are the property of the person who bought the gift when the proposed marriage doesn't take place.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Oh dear god..."give it back...give it back..."

SCREW THAT! Go buy yourself something awesome! :)
  • In the state of TN appellate courts say engagement rings are conditional gifts that must be returned to the gift giver if the condition -- namely, the marriage -- does not take place, regardless of who broke off the engagement.

With that being said, if you're not giving the money back to him spend just a little on you and donate the rest to a worthy charity. Feed some children, help the homeless, support orphaned animals... something you can feel good about. That's going to go a lot farther than anything material that you buy.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    I thought it depended on why the marriage never happened. Such as if he goes and cheats on you, so you guys break up, that so called contract was voided by HIM which means you get to keep this ring.