wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    If you actually read my post you'll see I was referring specifically to people who think wearing black nail polish makes them a goth, it has nothing to do with the interview.

OK, I agree. Not everyone who wears black nail polish is "goth." Thanks for that critical clarification.

But that little bearing on if the OP should wear black nail polish to her interview. The answer is the same: NO.

--P
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    So many Goths! :laugh:

jennifer-aniston.jpg
    images.jpg
    black-nail-polish-hot-for-2009-3.jpg
    120115_mischa-barton-black-nails.jpg
    398-black-nail-polish-.jpg

yes but they are all employed....that's the point...they don't have to get through the door.

no one is hating the polish...no one is saying it's bad....all we are saying is if not wearing it on ONE DAY of your life could make the difference between having a paying job or not

i mean wouldn't you? it's one freaking day of your life.
  • Again, I say wear it but break it up some with a line or two of another color. I love black with pink or purple lines painted from bottom to the top at an angle. Maybe wear something black, slacks or top so that your black polish goes with the nail polish. And if you can swing it make the strip match the top or bottoms match it. Black slacks with a purple top.

are you a man? if so, this entire thing makes me go hmmm...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    I'm sorry I can't stop laughing at how many people think black nail polish = goth/rebel/untrustworthy/etc. :laugh: 'Normal' people have been wearing black nail polish for years, if you're really that ignorant that you would smack that label on someone then you are ridiculous. I'm wearing brown nail polish right now, I guess that means I love smearing *kitten* over the walls by your logic!

OH NOES! THE GOTHS ARE INVADING!! ALL THAT BLACK NAIL POLISH!! *FAINT*

:laugh:

thats the point. that perception is out there and if you are going into an interview its best not to give them a reason to turn you down.

get the job..then break out the black nail polish!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    I don't think much of peoples skills. I assume anyone coming in is going to take about a year to train.
    You can't train the freakyness/ Ahole out of someone.

Train for skills. Hire for personality.
    So know who is hiring you, and conform to that. Cogs, were all cogs in the machine.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    First impressions really DO matter. :)
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

A lot of little things in an interview can kill your chances. Your nails, your hair, what you wear to the interview, and even your weight. Best rule of thumb with nails is go with no polish on at all because you never know when they might tell you company policy is just that.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    OH NOES! THE GOTHS ARE INVADING!! ALL THAT BLACK NAIL POLISH!! *FAINT*

This attitude is one of the reasons so many younger people are finding it difficult to get a job. I wouldn't look twice at a candidate who thinks so little of the interview process as to wear black polish. Clear is the best look.

Sorry if this isn't a popular opinion - it's just the way it is when I hire someone. Unfortunately, you DO need to look the part.
  • LBxLB
    LBxLB Posts: 691 Member
    I also agree with your friend.

Ditto
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,809 Member
    I haven't worked in years (stay at home mom), but when I did work, I worked in HR. I hired people, I fired people and I did everything else in between. I've hire people to work in retail, offices, and factories. And I never once thought twice about the color of someones nail polish. I am looking to see how they answer my questions. Appearance of course matter more when I was hiring for retail or an office type of environment, but honestly I would take nail polish in a dark color as a sign of someone who was well groomed and cared for their appearance.

Remove the polish if you are now concerned about how someone will perceive you, but I think people are over thinking the choice of color just a bit.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    i think it's a non factor but then again i think it depends on the city you live in. in big cities, your nail polish color wouldnt be an issue but i suppose in small little villages it would be an issue :laugh:

in fact in big cities you'd have someone you're interviewing with asking you if you're color was chanel or OPI :laugh:

ETA: i took a look and saw the OP is in boston, which is a big city but it's pretty conservative. I'd say drop the nail polish for the interviews if you're really interested in the job and working for that company
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Once you have the job, fine. For an interview? It's probably too much.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

Welcome to corporate America!

While I believe black is better than sparkles and neon green and hot pink - I'd go with a very conservative color or french tip (if you get your nails done). And like someone else said, you can always reapply afterward. It's just nail polish...
  • I'm in HR and do interviews for a living - for the purposes of the interview, definitely drop the black. Stay neutral, same with your makeup. Less is more. Too much makeup, drastic nail colors, even large earrings are distractions for the inteviewer and can be seen as unprofessional. Remember, you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Once you get the job you can rock the black but it's not appropriate for interviews.

Good luck!
    100% agree'd
  • skybird455
    skybird455 Posts: 172 Member

Its about being PROFESSIONAL as well as having the qualifications. Black nail polish is NOT considered to be professional. With the unemployment rate what it is you want to give yourself every opportunity to get the job. You never know, the person interviewing you might have on black nail polish and it might be ok, but what if that person is nit picky about that? Dont take chances. IMO.

Jess
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382

Yup that's the way it works ... Really no different than dressing up for your interview vs wearing jeans and a T Shirt.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    I would remove any color of nail polish, not just black. Once you get the job, you can start wearing it again.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    You want to look professional in your interview, so they get the best first impression possible. Afterwards, put the polish back on! I wear black and dark purple polish all the time, I just like the way it looks against my skin. But just a clear coat on your nails will make them look clean and classic, and that will def help with your *hopefully!!* new bosses. Good luck!

This - As someone who has interviewed potential staff
  • pumalama
    pumalama Posts: 140 Member
    You don't know who you are going to meet at the interview. Maybe it is a very conservative person, maybe not, but I would not risk it. I would avoid any details that can drag the attention away from the interview questions and answers. Inquire about the company dress code if you can and dress at a level above the position you are interviewing for. Good luck!
  • stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    First of all, it's ugly. Second of all, you wanna show your potential employer you have good taste.