Visualize This

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    I sure hope so Pam! It's getting old fast. He des watch our daughter occasionally so I can go on the eliptical for 30 min and then have time to shower but that's like once a freakin week when I beg him.. Anywho, busy day I'm off!
  • Giggles27
    Giggles27 Posts: 139
    Good Morning Ladies...oh and Ian also...Im doing great this morning...I am in class all day...now until about 5 pm. Im reading about your marriages and I am laughing and also upset for you....sorry but thats the truth...Im waiting to get married...lol...Great boyfriend...who is very skinny and tall...and I can see some things in him now (the laziness) but he encourages me to go to the gym and do well but doesnt say anything if I eat bad also...but I also dont live with him....so who knows what that will be like in the future.....

Today is alll day of class for me...and then drive an hour home and then gym for an hour (body works class) and then eat some quick dinner and then back to the gymn for some power Yoga...I already logged in all my food that I brought with me....Have a great day everyone
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    I have to stop weighing myself daily! But I did lose 3 more lbs!! :smile: But I need to stop because I know I'm going to get mad one day and throw it through the window or something! lol

Pam - My husband is also not a "going for a walk" type of person! Those exact words :grumble: lol At least he goes and gets his physicals!

Anu- It's ok, we don't mind if you laugh! I look back and laugh, too! :laugh: If you don't mind me asking what are you going to school for? Very long days!

Here's a pork recipe for someone who asked, I made this one a few weeks ago, it's yummy!

Maple - Chili glazed pork medallions

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
    * 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions
    * 2 teaspoons canola oil
    * 1/4 cup apple cider
    * 1 tablespoon maple syrup
    * 1 teaspoon cider vinegar

Preparation

1. Mix chili powder, salt and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of pork.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add cider, syrup and vinegar to the pan. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning the pork occasionally to coat, until the sauce is reduced to a thick glaze, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve the pork drizzled with the glaze.

Nutrition

Total servings 4

Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 441 mg potassium.
  • Arienna
    Oh also, found this recipe this morning (I'm planning my meals out for the week today so I can grocery shopping in a few hours) I made this a few weeks ago for my kids' school and they LOVED them. They are also yummy without the frosting!

Apple Cupcakes with Cinnamon-Marshmallow Frosting

Ingredients

Cupcakes

* 1 1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
    * 1/2 cup diced dried apples
    * 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup, divided
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
    * 1/3 cup canola oil
    * 2 large eggs
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    * 3/4 cup cake flour
    * 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk

Frosting

* 1 cup light brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup water
    * 4 teaspoons dried egg whites (see Note), reconstituted according to package directions (equivalent to 2 egg whites)
    * 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    * Pinch of salt
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for garnish

Preparation

1. To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
    2. Combine shredded and dried apples in a bowl with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. Beat oil and the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Beat in eggs one at a time until combined. Add vanilla, increase speed to high and beat for 1 minute.
    3. Whisk whole-wheat flour, cake flour, baking soda, salt and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.
    4. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, starting and ending with dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Stir in the reserved apple mixture until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. (The cups will be full.)
    5. Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cake comes out clean, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before frosting.
    6. To prepare frosting: Bring 2 inches of water to a simmer in the bottom of a double boiler (see Tip). Combine 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup water in the top of the double boiler. Heat over the simmering water, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. Add reconstituted egg whites, cream of tartar and pinch of salt. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is glossy and thick, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the top pan from the heat and continue beating for 1 minute more to cool. Add vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and beat on low just to combine. Spread or pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle cinnamon on top, if desired.

Tips & Notes

* Make Ahead Tip: Store unfrosted cupcakes airtight at room temperature for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups

* Ingredient Note: Dried egg whites are pasteurized so this product is a wise choice in dishes that call for an uncooked meringue. Look for brands like Just Whites in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets or online at bakerscatalogue.com.

Nutrition

Per cupcake: 267 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 35 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 188 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
  • Giggles27
    Courtney- I am an Industrial Engineer and I got laid off in June...and I am currently taking classes for Project Management, Business Analysis, ITIL, and some other stuff. I am hoping to get my CAPM Certification - Certified Associates in Project Management (they say this exam is so much harder than the CPA exam....basically almost everyone fails it the first time).....so im planning on taking it around March.

I have classes anywhere from 1-5 days a wk (the majority is 3 days) and all classes are from 9 am - 5 pm....and did I mention that they give out free coffee, muffins, oatmeal and tons of cookies...and lots of candy too....sooo boo hooo to temptation
  • mamaturner
    I have to stop weighing myself daily! But I did lose 3 more lbs!! :smile: But I need to stop because I know I'm going to get mad one day and throw it through the window or something! lol

Pam - My husband is also not a "going for a walk" type of person! Those exact words :grumble: lol At least he goes and gets his physicals!

Anu- It's ok, we don't mind if you laugh! I look back and laugh, too! :laugh: If you don't mind me asking what are you going to school for? Very long days!

Here's a pork recipe for someone who asked, I made this one a few weeks ago, it's yummy!

Maple - Chili glazed pork medallions

Ingredients

* 1 teaspoon chili powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
    * 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick medallions
    * 2 teaspoons canola oil
    * 1/4 cup apple cider
    * 1 tablespoon maple syrup
    * 1 teaspoon cider vinegar

Preparation

1. Mix chili powder, salt and ground chipotle in a small bowl. Sprinkle over both sides of pork.
    2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Add cider, syrup and vinegar to the pan. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, turning the pork occasionally to coat, until the sauce is reduced to a thick glaze, 1 to 3 minutes. Serve the pork drizzled with the glaze.

Nutrition

Total servings 4

Per serving: 180 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 354 mg sodium; 441 mg potassium.

My in laws are coming up from Houstn next week and I am SOOOOO making this! What carb and green do you normally serve this with? It sound like it would be good with some rice or something almost like a veggie fried rice?
  • ianconway
    ianconway Posts: 185 Member
    Grrr!!!!! Why did we have to make a junk-food run last night at 9?!?!

I felt horrible this morning. My stomach still isn't feeling all that great. Well, as part of my punishment, I just did 70 minutes of Wii Fit Plus and burned about 360 calories.

The wife and I are planning on going for a jog this afternoon and already have our meal planned for this evening -

Grilled Shrimp with Broccoli and Rice

Simple as that.

-Ian
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Hahaha. See... well I am only 22 (23 next month) and 1. I am NOT married and do NOT have kids. 2. I am a lesbian. Sooooo mostly I am more of the pain in the *kitten* with my friends or with girls I am dating or whatever. Getting healthy is a life change, so for me.... my friends and whatever get sooo frustrated at me. We went to the fair that one day and I went on and on and on about how the food there was SO unhealthy and that I wanted to find something that was actually GOOD for you to eat. And when they all got chinese and I didn't... I was crazy jealous but, made some smart *kitten* comment about MSG or whatever that thing is in the food that is bad for you.

So my problem is that what I am putting into my body or my workouts or fitness consume me. I am trying to channel that better, but I think I drive everyone else crazy even though your hubbys drive you nuts. Keep fighting the good fight. Chances are, that like I do to my friends, you make them feel bad about what they ARE eating by trying to eat well. You are learning a lot about what you put INTO your body and so, you are trying to help them out by doing the same, while helping yourself at the same time. My friends not smoking when I am trying to quit... that helps me... and saves them at least 1 cigg from lung cancer or something.

My best friend told me that we are NOT allowed to discuss food right now, because it makes her feel bad. Of course it is not my intention to make her feel that way... but I bet your husbands are just wicked frustrated that you are 1. changing something (people don't like change) and 2. they are being reminded that they need to get healthy too.

And I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't be doing this unless I was really commited to it. It's been almost three weeks for me and I am now starting to see the results. That even after the BEST work out of my life I go home... stuff my face (healthily) and feel like i gained 100 pounds and wake up in the morning and see that, I am still down to what I was the day before.

Sorry for the ramble, but just remember as frustrated as they make you (I don't get marriage as I am not married) but its probably because they see you doing something they know they need to do also... and guys are weird that way. You know? Eventually, if you keep with it enough, they might start doing it too.

Oh and something I would do? Make healthy stuff... and hide it in things that they think that they like. You know like you would do for a child (my friend puts carrots into her sons mac and cheese because he swears he hates them but doesnt really). Make those things that are healthy, but make things that they will like and will be used to eating. You don't have to put a bowl of salad greens on the table and say, "okay here... here you go. salad yummm" because I mean... i would probably even look at you and facepalm.

Anyway rambling again (I do that). I hope this all came out okay. :) And I do hope that it is easier for you in the future with your hubbys. I just wish that I could relate. :(

Much love to you all.. much much love.
  • amym1
    amym1 Posts: 13
    All this talk about supportive (or non-supportive) partners has got me thinking. My husband is supportive to a point. He knows we both need to lose weight and eat healthier but he has no will power and will often talk me into being "bad." But then when I'm not feeling motivated, I'll talk him into being bad too, so we sometimes pull eachother down. I can imagine how frustrating it is to have a partner who doesn't support you at all.

I guess the bottom line is that we have to make our own commitment to ourselves and not let friends, partners, relatives distract us from our goals. Its easy for me to sometimes blame my husband, but it is really up to me to say no to fast food, pizza and chips. He isn't exactly forcing them down my throat. If he wants to be naughty he can go to the store himself and buy junk and eat it. I don't have to be a co-conspirator.

That's the nice thing about this website ... we can get support from others who have similar goals and commitments even if our partners and spouses don't.

Hang in there!

Amy
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 9,964 Member
    Grrr!!!!! Why did we have to make a junk-food run last night at 9?!?!

Ian

Ian, I am in your boat today...went out with hubby last night for a date night...I was only going to have margaritas and not eat. I ended up ordering a chimichanga (fried with melted cheese all over it)...then, I came home and had some light beer and a mini-pizza...I stayed up till 1:00 in the morning watching B movies that were on for halloween and eating...At the time, it felt so good to have some alone time.

However, I was a crazed lunatic...I couldn't stop eating...Today, I have remorseful guilt

I too will punish myself with exericise...LOL

Kim
  • mamaturner
    All this talk about supportive (or non-supportive) partners has got me thinking. My husband is supportive to a point. He knows we both need to lose weight and eat healthier but he has no will power and will often talk me into being "bad." But then when I'm not feeling motivated, I'll talk him into being bad too, so we sometimes pull eachother down. I can imagine how frustrating it is to have a partner who doesn't support you at all.

I guess the bottom line is that we have to make our own commitment to ourselves and not let friends, partners, relatives distract us from our goals. Its easy for me to sometimes blame my husband, but it is really up to me to say no to fast food, pizza and chips. He isn't exactly forcing them down my throat. If he wants to be naughty he can go to the store himself and buy junk and eat it. I don't have to be a co-conspirator.

That's the nice thing about this website ... we can get support from others who have similar goals and commitments even if our partners and spouses don't.

Hang in there!

Amy

Your exactly right. It s up to us and often when we have no choice but to eat out I make the best choice possible while he gorges on a 1/2 pound greasy burger lol. Luckily we both love Subway tho! And surprise suprise he made himself a salad when he got home from work this morning (he's a 3rd shifter) And if it wasn't for this wesite, this group especially, I would be completely lost and less motivated. Thank you everyone!
  • Giggles27
    rkorduner - I love what you had to say before...you go girl....hiding healthy food in "bad foods" and so on...

Also I have a question for everyone...im at 1,200 calories a day when I dont exercise...however I am exercising approx. 500 cals a day. So do I eat the 1,700 or try to just do the 1,200 or somewhere in between?

Thanks!!!
  • mamaturner
    rkorduner - I love what you had to say before...you go girl....hiding healthy food in "bad foods" and so on...

Also I have a question for everyone...im at 1,200 calories a day when I dont exercise...however I am exercising approx. 500 cals a day. So do I eat the 1,700 or try to just do the 1,200 or somewhere in between?

Thanks!!!

I often at about half of my excercise calories, sometiems more, sometiems less. You do the excercise and your body needs the calories to replace it! I would just say to make sure it's not all crap food, keep to the healthy foods as much as possible. Although sometimes it needs to be to excercise in order to have that piece of birthday cake, lady time chocolate, or football game beer. lol.
  • nisijam5
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1835288

Here's a link for Sirloin Steaks with Mushroom Sauce and Chive-Garlic Potatoes from the cooking light website....it's under 20 minute meals...looks yummy
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member

Thanks!!!

And that is controversial on here. Apparently you are supposed to eat your exercise calories. For me, I eat what I eat. I'm just trying to limit my portions and eat healthier. I am not depriving myself and if I go over on calories, I go over. If I eat something one day that is super bad, I try to make sure I exercise enough. If not, its ok, I usually don't eat all the alloted caloreis anyway.

So, in short, I say eat them or most of them. If you eat less, ok. If you eat more, ok. Just as long as its healthy stuff and that you don't go way over or under.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,849 Member
    Can I ask where you can input recipes that will give you the nutritional info for a meal? I will make something and then input each ingerdient into mfp to come up with calories consumed. There's got to be a better way, maybe a website or something?
  • nisijam5
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=522109

Link for Mashed Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Butter

I am trying this tonight

Kim
  • nisijam5
    Can I ask where you can input recipes that will give you the nutritional info for a meal? I will make something and then input each ingerdient into mfp to come up with calories consumed. There's got to be a better way, maybe a website or something?

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • Arienna
    Becca - Thanks so much for the encouraging words! It really does help to be able to vent to you guys, since here at home I may as well be talking to a brick wall. Actually I'd rather because it doesn't talk back and DIScourage me! lol. God, maybe I should be a lesbian, too! Women are soo much more understanding than men! :laugh:

Kim - thanks for the yummy recipes! They both sound delicious

Jessica - Usually with pork I would just do some brown rice (sometimes I flavor it with garlic, a little olive oil and some parmesan cheese) and steamed veggies. You could do some multi grain or whole grain rolls and a salad too.

For dinner tonight I'm making Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole. Got the recipe here:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=139520

It sounds yummy to me!
  • charcharbec
    charcharbec Posts: 253 Member
    Aw thanks guys. I am glad they were encouraging and not like some annoying ramble (as i often do). Just know that what you all are doing is AWESOME. Even if I don't get a response sometimes, its still soo good to know that I can come here and say, "OMG my workout kicked my *kitten* today" (like mine did). Or... "omg... I am starving its so hard not to eat the house." (which again its sooo hard not to).

But you guys are inspirations to me. Seriously. It's so good to know that I am not alone, and to hear your struggles even though I might not understand them.

Also--- if you guys are looking for some healthy mac and cheese--- Annies. Organic. SO good. One serving is only 260 cals and like 3 grams of fat. It's great. I just had it for dinner and yummmmmm. Especially after the gym and I am crrraving carbs and fruit. I put some fish in the oven too because I was like might as well get some protein in there. But really---- I don't know if I can finish it now... or even eat a bite. Ah well.. options for tomorrow night then huh? :)

Anyway--- thank you all for being so fantastic. I don't know what I would do without knowing that you guys can see what I am eating.... so it makes me go and eat better. Well that and I have never been so determined to do well. You know?

Oh and a "yay me" moment--- today I had about an hour between meetings and I was 45 or so mins from my office. Soooo I was trying to find a place (in the middle of noooowhere) to sit and just chill out for a while. The woman I was waiting for suggested dunkin donuts. I don't really eat their food and they are easy to say no to, but I passed this pizza restaurant and I have been CRAAAVVVVING pizza. So I go in.... and eventually I just walked out. I went to dunks, got a small coffee with skim milk and splenda (which is only 30 cals everyone :) ) and ate the lunch I made for today. :D I am so proud of myself. It was so hard not NOT get like a calzone or something yummy like that. :(.

I can't talk about it, it makes me want it more.

Anyway-- that was my hurdle for today. Phew.
This discussion has been closed.