Sugar in diet

124»

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,970 Member
    On one of my previous many attempts to lose weight, I was scolded by my weight loss counselor for eating too many carrots because they had too much sugar. I quit that diet when my hair started falling out. (not saying that was from no sugar - it was the extreme lack of calories in general)

I did not gain all this weight from eating too many carrots, bananas or grapes. That's all I have to say about the topic.
  • benita30
    benita30 Posts: 20
    On one of my previous many attempts to lose weight, I was scolded by my weight loss counselor for eating too many carrots because they had too much sugar. I quit that diet when my hair started falling out. (not saying that was from no sugar - it was the extreme lack of calories in general)

I did not gain all this weight from eating too many carrots, bananas or grapes. That's all I have to say about the topic.

Yes but a lot of people in the world eat nothing but junk all day every day and don't gain weight, does that mean that its ok? No

But your trainer was crazy because carrots are awesome.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    You would have to eat a significant amount of fruit before the sugar content proved to be an issue. IIRC correctly the liver can store about 50g or so of fructose based on averages before it starts converting to triglycerides. Fructose is the preferred source of topping up liver glycogen and when that occurs in ordinary individuals it sends a "full" signal to the brain which should trigger a "stop eating" signal which an individual will act on (barring psychological issues that is)

Most fruit contains modest amounts of frustose, about 7-8% or so, equating to about 7-8g per 100g of fruit. You would need to be eating a lot of fruit (7 pieces or more) before starting to run into trouble in comparison to food items containing HFCS which are much easy to over consume. In addition, the sugar in fruit comes packaged with other good stuff (like fibre) which help stabilise blood sugar levels etc (although there isn't actually a huge amount of difference in rates of digestion in reality.)

My point I guess is I doubt there are many individuals on here who have to diet because they ate too many apples...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Three out of four dentists recommend brushing your teeth after eating sugary snacks, The fourth dentist is a quack. :laugh:
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,252 Member
    Thanks much for everybody's comments. You can learn so much on these message boards. Thanks for taking the time to comment. I guess whats good for one person may not be good for another person. I will keep eating my fruit...I just won't over do it..Happy Dieting!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    no carbs, no fat, no sugar......
    sometimes all the stuff I hear makes me want to just eat chicken breast for every meal for the next 20 years

No :noway:

Calories are units of energy your body reaps from food. After eating, your body turns calories it doesn't use immediately into substances called triglycerides. Triglycerides are stored in your fat cells until hormones, your body's chemical messengers, release them for energy. Eating more calories than you burn on a consistent basis, according to MayoClinic.com, may lead to high triglycerides and weight gain. This remains true whether your calories stem from protein, carbohydrates or fats.

Just stick to your calorie deficit and you can eat all the protein you want!

Don't do that. We all know excess protein turns to fat.:laugh:

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. You should get 20 to 35 percent of your calories from fat, 10 to 35 percent of your calories from protein and 45 to 65 percent of your calories from carbs, according to MayoClinic.com. Here is t1ghe thing...4g of protien as well as 4g of carbs = 8 calories. 8g of fat (saturated or unsaturated) = 16 calories. Try to split your protien/complex carb equally and the rest in veggies. the rest is easy.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/344185-how-to-convert-grams-of-fat-protein-and-carbs-to-calories/#ixzz21bvc3Ldb

Is that true? I always thought the more protein, the better (even though I'm not on a low carb diet)
    Wait, what? Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram, where do you get 4 grams = 8 calories from? 4 grams of carbs or protein would be 16 calories, not 8. And fat is 9 calories per gram, 8 grams of fat is 72 calories, not 16...

If you're going to give advice, at least make sure your facts are correct first.
  • tigersword
    sometimes all the stuff I hear makes me want to just eat chicken breast for every meal for the next 20 years

Is that true? I always thought the more protein, the better (even though I'm not on a low carb diet)
    Excess protein gets converted to glucose, which gets converted into either glycogen, or glycerol (if glycogen stores are full,) and then combined into a triglyceride and stored as fat.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    The sugar in fruit maybe not be treated any differently than table sugar at the molecular level, but the body (mine anyway), handles fruit much better than it does straight sugar or sugary treats. I've kept track of my blood sugar for years now, and a diet with plenty of fruit, but no other sweets, hasn't hurt my blood glucose readings at all.

As always, your experiences may not be the same as mine.
  • tigersword
    Sucrose is table sugar which sweetens foods, period. Fructose is fruit sugar, which comes with vitamins minerals and fiber.
    No. Sucrose is a disaccharide, found in ALL fruits, and most plants, meaning it's in most vegetables as well. Sugar cane is a plant, and beets are vegetables (those are the two most common sources of sucrose.)

Fructose is a monosaccharide, that is one half of sucrose, meaning anything that has sucrose in it has fructose in it, so table sugar has fructose in it, and table sugar doesn't come with vitamins, minerals, or fiber. Fructose is also in honey, agave syrup, high fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, and all kinds of other things that AREN'T FRUIT.
    tigerpalm.jpg
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Fruit is good for you and so is the sugar in it

Fruit is good for you, but too much sugar is still too much sugar. Regardless of whether its from fruit or not.

How much is too much?
  • benita30
    benita30 Posts: 20

Excess protein gets converted to glucose, which gets converted into either glycogen, or glycerol (if glycogen stores are full,) and then combined into a triglyceride and stored as fat.

False. Protein only becomes excess when someone eats too many calories, and those excess calories come from protein.
    Protein won't make you gain fat. Excess calories will.