Job Interview Advice

Options
13»

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Not really advice more a funny story.

For some reason i went to a place when searching because my wife wanted me to. I did NOT want the job. I didn't leave a resume, and filled out an application with sloppy handwriting. Sure enough they call me for an interview. So I go in, am NOT a jerk but all the questions you might ignore, I asked, and commented on. Like lousy pay, frequency of raises, exceptions made to policy for raises etc.

To top it all off, when I got home I realized my shirt was INSIDE OUT. LOL

I didn't get hired. Which is fine, I made it pretty clear she was a LONG way off in $$$$$$
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm in the market for a new job...hopefully a career, as I am almost 25 and it's about damn time I get a real job.

I have trouble with some of the questions...for example, "What is a weakness of yours that you feel you need improvement on?"

Well, I'm totally awesome...Or at least I want them to think that, so what do I tell them? What's a weakness that isn't necessarily a "bad" weakness to have?

And those damn situational questions...."Tell us about a time when you had a miscommunication with a supervisor and how did you resolve it?"

What if I can't think of a specific instance? I mean, I want to answer the question as thoroughly as possible, so do I just make up some sort of story and make up an ending of how I realistically would have resolved the issue?

And over the past 4 years, I haven't had a job longer than 1-2 years. What do I say about that when they ask if I'm just skipping around? I got fired from one, but the others were more short term pay-my-way-through-college type jobs. I don't want them to think that I'm going to quit after a year or something. How do I talk that up to make it sound not as bad?????

What advice do you have?

Thank you!

Situational questions are easy. Look at the job description you are interviewing for and they should list out the qualities they are looking for. Then, for each quality listed, think of some example of when you used this skill. (Work examples are best, but examples from normal life also work very well. I am sure any interviewer would be impressed by your weight loss and, better yet, that is a fact about you that will make you stand out.)

Once you have your examples picked out (five is a good number), think about the other qualities each example hits on. The idea that these stories should cover a majority of the questions you will be asked, so instead of memorizing 100 answers, these five stories will tell the interviewer everything they need to know about you. Make sure to practice the stories, so they roll of the tongue easy (I stutter when nervous and overuse the work ‘umm’).

When you are 25, you are not expected to have 10 years of experience at one company, especially if you were in school. Employers know this. You can always say that you were searching for more well rounded work experiences.

Though you might have never had a miscommunication with a manager, at some time you must have had a communication with someone. You can always say that and then go into how you resolved the miscommunication with friend/coworker/relative. This story could relate to communication/ prioritizing/ work ethic /and other skills, depending on the story.
  • Sockimobi
    Sockimobi Posts: 541
    Options

I would have totally hired you for that!

Good luck OP :)

ETA: I had an interview once where I was asked "what would your colleagues describe as your weakness?". I found that easier to answer for some reason. So, what would your colleagues say?
  • LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options

I would have totally hired you for that!

Good luck OP :)

You must be related to the store manager from the movie 'TED'
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am also almost 25. I have had 5 jobs since I was 14 years old, but in my current company where I have been for almost 6 years I have had several interviews for promotions or lateral positions as well. The BIGGEST thing is don't lie, don't try to make yourself sound better than you are, you want to be as honest as you can but you don't want to put all your dirty "laundry" out there. I have learned in my experiences sometimes less is more. If they ask a question answer it, but don't give more information out than you have to. I have seen this bite people, you say a little too much and they have other questions about that situation. If you don't give the information they want they will ask you to clarify or you will see the look on their face, make sure if you see this you ask them if you answered there question. "Tell me about yourself?" Worst question ever, I hate this question but the best thing to do is make a list of your strengths! And sell yourself. Don't throw out your weakness here, this is the first "catch moment" where you will grab them by the horns or get ran over. If you don't understand a question don't try to answer it. Ask them to clarify. The last thing you want them to think is you are blowing smoke. The weakness question is a tough one, think it through and try to spin it into something positive. It can be very difficult to find flaws in yourself.
    Good luck!