Trimming down thighs without putting on muscle?

12346»

Replies

• Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    I understand what you are trying to get across OP. It's not that you are opposed to muscle, but you aren't looking to have big thighs or calves. I feel your pain, I'm 5' and I have always had an extremly powerful lower body, so it is much harder to have a long, lean looking leg. Running worked for me to achieve lean muscle and a less "built" look.

That it is exactly what the OP was saying. Others don't want to get it. If you are short why would you want bulky legs. Also, if you tend to gain most of your fat in your thighs it will look more bulkier. You want to try and remove as much fat as possible and sculpt a muscle size that suits your frame. You hear some female bodybuilders, fitness models who say that they tend to bulk up in legs so don't work them as much etc.

I'm only 5'2, just but I have that long lean look, might be due to yoga, but I think it's more genetic. I know many here disagree, but yoga works and builds different muscles, might help. However, I need to include squats and lunges to get the lift in my butt I want, yoga does not do that. :)
  • bentenballer
    bentenballer Posts: 5 Member
    slow cardio such as jogging and body weight squats so that you can burn the fat around that area and "tone" your thigh
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    slow cardio such as jogging and body weight squats so that you can burn the fat around that area and "tone" your thigh

You can't spot reduce fat.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Ive been putting on muscle for the first time (purposefully) in my life this year and ive never had smaller thighs. I mean...since ive been an adult lol. Seriously the muscle is what you want. You don't want thin flabby legs! You will have cellulite! Muscles are good! And you can run and do cardio faster so you can burn fat more efficiently!
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Check out the pics here of a woman's legs and hip area (cross section pics, so not for the squeamish): http://www.stumptuous.com/honesty-is-the-best-policy
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Squats, lunges & running/power walking are excellent for thighs & eating healthy. My legs have completely thinned down & I've gained muscle since starting MFP by doing this :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    ...All the dead lifts and leg press exercises are going to build beyond what you are likely working towards.
    1) I'm assuming the OP is eating at a caloric deficit. This makes it very difficult to build muscle. even for men.

2) She's a female. Females lack the hormonal environment (i.e., testosterone) to build significant amounts of muscle.

3) Couple #1 with #2 and you have very, very difficult conditions for muscle building.

I'm not sure where people come up with this idea that if you pick weights up you're going to become a musclebound mutant size freak overnight. There are plenty of guys in their teens and twenties with tons of testosterone coursing through their bodies, eating at a significant caloric excess, taking lots and lots of protein on board, lifting on well-designed programs and putting up some staggering amounts of weight, who STILL fight hard for every pound of muscle they gain. They're in an optimally anabolic situation, yet the muscle still doesn't just happily climb aboard for the ride. Now take away the testosterone, the caloric excess and the ultra-high protein intake and you now have a very sub-optimal situation for muscle gain. Basically, it ain't gonna happen.

Lifting heavy weights in a caloric deficit will preserve what lean body mass you have and help burn the fat. It will strengthen connective tissue and help preserve bone density. It will facilitate neurological adaptation which will result in strength gains. But it *won't* pack on pounds of muscle. If one discovers that they're a truly genetic freak who is somehow able to defy the laws of thermodynamics and finds themselves gaining too much muscle, it's easy to remedy....don't do that anymore.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    ...All the dead lifts and leg press exercises are going to build beyond what you are likely working towards.
    1) I'm assuming the OP is eating at a caloric deficit. This makes it very difficult to build muscle. even for men.

2) She's a female. Females lack the hormonal environment (i.e., testosterone) to build significant amounts of muscle.

3) Couple #1 with #2 and you have very, very difficult conditions for muscle building.

I'm not sure where people come up with this idea that if you pick weights up you're going to become a musclebound mutant size freak overnight. There are plenty of guys in their teens and twenties with tons of testosterone coursing through their bodies, eating at a significant caloric excess, taking lots and lots of protein on board, lifting on well-designed programs and putting up some staggering amounts of weight, who STILL fight hard for every pound of muscle they gain. They're in an optimally anabolic situation, yet the muscle still doesn't just happily climb aboard for the ride. Now take away the testosterone, the caloric excess and the ultra-high protein intake and you now have a very sub-optimal situation for muscle gain. Basically, it ain't gonna happen.

Lifting heavy weights in a caloric deficit will preserve what lean body mass you have and help burn the fat. It will strengthen connective tissue and help preserve bone density. It will facilitate neurological adaptation which will result in strength gains. But it *won't* pack on pounds of muscle. If one discovers that they're a truly genetic freak who is somehow able to defy the laws of thermodynamics and finds themselves gaining too much muscle, it's easy to remedy....don't do that anymore.

Outstanding post. I want to frame it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    so much spot reducing fail in this thread it's hilarious :laugh:

body weight squats burn leg fat :laugh:
    lean muscle vs bulky muscle :laugh:

some of you really need to go back to high school and take a human anatomy class.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Go and look at the legs of the women who compete in the 10,000 meter marathon. Then have a look at the legs of the women who compete in the sprints, gymnastics and strength sports.

Guess who looks better?
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Eat better.

Weight loss happens with a good diet, now through exercise. As long as you are eating at a deficit you'll lose weight. Unfortunately you can't control how/where you lose it, but be patient and it will come off.

^^This is the only way to trim down thighs without putting on muscle, only spot reduction that works is liposuction...
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member

Outstanding post. I want to frame it.

Agreed. Superb post!
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Why do people keep asking the original poster, "You don't want muscle? Are you sure? You sound crazy." Let them want they what they want, damn. If they don't want muscle, instead of freaking out about it, you can just offer advice, or let them know, as some did, things like, "You can't really spot reduce."

Can you imagine if every single person questioned every little thing you wanted for yourself?
    - You don't want facial hair? WHY?!?
    - You want to grow your hair out long?
    - You're dying it brown?
    - You're wearing long sleeves today? Are you sure?
    - You don't like the Sharpie mustache I drew above your lip while you were asleep?

Are you guys the paparazzi?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Why do people keep asking the original poster, "You don't want muscle? Are you sure? You sound crazy." Let them want they what they want, damn. If they don't want muscle, instead of freaking out about it, you can just offer advice, or let them know, as some did, things like, "You can't really spot reduce."

Can you imagine if every single person questioned every little thing you wanted for yourself?
    - You're dying it brown?
    - You don't like the Sharpie mustache I drew above your lip while you were asleep?

Nah. It's more like the question "how can I avoid adding muscle when I exercise" is analagous to

- I am going for a haircut tomorrow. How can I avoid my facial hair getting shaved while I'm there?
    - How can I wash my hair every day without it growing too long?
    - I'm dying my hair brown but I don't want my nails painted red. How to avoid that?
    - Will wearing long sleeves cause my pants to fall down?
    - If I get a Sharpie mustache painted on me does that mean my regular mustache will grow in thicker?
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member

- You're dying it brown?

Nah. It's more like the question "how can I avoid adding muscle when I exercise" is analagous to

- I am going for a haircut tomorrow. How can I avoid my facial hair getting shaved while I'm there?
    - How can I wash my hair every day without it growing too long?
    - I'm dying my hair brown but I don't want my nails painted red. How to avoid that?
    - Will wearing long sleeves cause my pants to fall down?
    - If I get a Sharpie mustache painted on me does that mean my regular mustache will grow in thicker?
    No, it's not like that. I mean, yeah, I see your point about asking that question, but I'm focused on specifically the people who are saying, "GASP YOU DON'T WANT MUSCLE?!" I understand if someone is saying, "You don't need to worry too much about that anyway," but I'm talking about the people who are only here to say, basically, "I want muscle, WHY DON'T YOU?! YOU CRAZY, GURL."
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member

Who told you women don't have testosterone. In fact some women have more androgens than they would care to have. Why do you think so many women spend so much time and effort waxing facial hair. Some women are more prone to muscular physiques. I have a cousin who doesn't workout and has always had visibly defined muscles in her arms and legs. She hated it when she was a teen because the boys teased her and called her Mrs. Man. She never looked like a bodybuilder. When women say they don't want to get bulky or too muscular so many assume we are referring to body builders. There is a lot between skin and bones and body builder. I'm watching the women's volleyball team play in the Olympics right now. None of them look like bodybuilders but their bodies may be more muscular than some women desire. And that is okay. We all have different goals, but women we get so little respect for ours.
  • littlebutnice
    littlebutnice Posts: 83 Member
    Bump to read later