Runners please advise me!

13»

Replies

• emtrem
    emtrem Posts: 22 Member
    Again, thankyou all for your thoughts, will def look up some good running form tips on you tube. Might be just my inexperience/ crappy running style.

For the person who asked, I do run on a treadmill at present, hoping to make it into the big wide world soon.

Am pleased to report bigger shoes have definately done the trick, toes now fine, and left leg not so painful when running. Am sure this can be fixed with time and experience.

Lots of good advice here though, I appreciate it all. It seems I have a lot to learn...

Thankyou all again. xx
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I think the answer here lies in the fact that you are new to running. People have been buying running shoes for decades without gait analysis so I wouldnt look at that as the solution.

Your shoes should be comfortable, although like any shoes there may be some breaking in required. Most of us have a bias to one side that may explain why you only get pain on one side - who knows. Stick with the plan but dont push through any bad pain and you will likely be ok.

Occam's razor :wink:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    meerkat - I can't help you if you can't see the relevance. I am glad you agree with me otherwise though.

Ah yes. It's me that's too thick to follow the link, obviously. :-D It's a wonder I make it through the day, really.

I don't think I *did* agree with you. But hey, not helping the OP labouring that point.

Well you *did* agree with him on everything other than the sore arms analogy. You must not have read all his comments.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    if I were a newbie runner, getting my gait analysed would be FIRST on my list. It's free, so even us lower class folks can afford it. One can learn a lot about gait, form, foot size, etc when consulting a running specialty store.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    I had some one-sided pain when I started c25k, I switched to a dirt trail instead of a paved one and it seemed to go away. Thing to be aware of is that, old injuries can affect your running, as well as uneven road surface or a lopsided lifestyle. I'd say if you feel discomfort, slow down, stretch, maybe change sides of the road you're on, then go on. There is discomfort and there is pain. Pain is where you should definitely stop.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    When I run it always seems to burn my legs, trying to get over that part...new runner here!
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    When I run it always seems to burn my legs, trying to get over that part...new runner here!

Try slowing down some. If you are getting that "burning" feeling while running you are probably at or over your lactate threshold. Although there is some training that will put you at that point, it is not something you would worry about as a newbie, your pace should be relatively easy. Doesn't mean you won't have some soreness after a run, but you shouldn't have the burn during a run.