Food Addicts Anonymous??

Replies

• Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    This morning I ate a huuuuuuuuge breakfast. Today's challenge is to avoid overeating rather than undereating.
  • richardsrm
    richardsrm Posts: 1,144 Member
    sunshine thanks for checking in on us. I have the kids again this weekend......snack city .........my downfall:sad: Oh well it is going to be sunny so I know I will get lots of walking in:smile: I just have to remember what I want ten years from now............my health:flowerforyou: Have a great time "South" richie
  • Sunsh1ne
    You can do it, Rich!

Well, my work here is done, disaster averted. My brain is fried from translating in a language I haven't practiced in over a year, but hey, I got to take a few days out of my winter. It was 92 and humid as heck today. Going home tomorrow, packing Saturday, and back to school Sunday just in time for the new semester on Monday.
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Hi, Tammie, congratulations on those first seven pounds! You can do it!

Ms Lady, we all know what you're talking about, so whenever you want to talk about it we're here. The point is to understand why you want a food, acknowledge it, and if you do give in, know that the first bite will be the best and every bite after that will be just a little bit worse, so focus on controling portions of your indulgences and savoring every bite.

This is GREAT advice, Sunsh1ne! Welcome, newbies! :flowerforyou: You will like it here.
  • bluenote
    Mmmm, I love Honduras best at breakfast. It's coffee-picking season right now, so there's a vague smell of the bean hanging over most of the country, but there's nothing like starting your day with a piping hot cup of cafe, with a little bit of cane sugar and hot milk to go with it. Eating with my mom, every day is light. We shared toast and a fruit platter for breakfast, which is good, but the key word is that we shared, meaning it was a portion meant for a single person. And then we skipped lunch, because Mom is basically anorexic. So I've been going for ten hours on less than 200 calories, while translating for her because she's helpless in Honduras, and meeting with all sorts of people about the library. GUH. Head spinny. At least I'm drinking plent of water, but I'm going to pass out before dinner. I don't know how this happens, that an anorexic makes a compulsive overeater. I also have no idea how this woman has survived to be 53 by barely eating.

anorexic, compulsive eater == all about control
    difference: YOU are doing something about it!
  • bluenote
    richie - congrats on the pound loss!!! I am so proud of you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • HI! My name is Holly and I am a HUGE food addict! My husband thinks I am nuts but I honestly beleive that overcoming a food addiction is harder than overcoming a drug or alcohol addiction. Now I have never had either of those..BUT you can live your life without a drop of drugs or alchohol, you need food to survive! Imagine telling an alcoholic, OKAY now, you cant get drunk, BUT you have to have 3 glasses of wine a day in order to live! IMPOSSIBLE! I read about the girl that ate 8 cookies.. I wish I was that lucky.
    Last Saturday I came home from a girls night, immediately put a chicken burger in the over, had cheese and crackers, chips and microwaved a hotdog while I was waiting for it to cook! Right now I am on here fighting back the urge to do the exact same thing.... weigh in is tomorrow so I am trying to stay strong!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Hi Holly! You can do it. For some people the key is having food waiting in the fridge, so there isn't a long wait for it to cook where you're tempted to eat other things. Find a way that works for you. :flowerforyou:

For my last night in Honduras I had a real treat - pescado al ajillo. Grilled tilapia with a serious garlic sauce. mmmmmm. My mom decided to try the caracol al ajillo, which is steamed conch in garlic sauce. After dinner, we walked to a heladeria for a local favorite, caramel ice cream. I think it's easier for me to stay inside my calorie goal now that I understand portion size better. And that makes the food I still eat taste that much better!
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Sunshin1ne, be careful your calorie count doesn't get too low. Your body will think you are starving and your metabolism will slooooww down! :wink: A gal from work said her daughter wants to go to Honduras with a church group. Are you from Honduras? :wink:
  • richardsrm
    Welcome Holly this is a great site to start your day with. I slipped up a few times this week Blue note is right it is all about control. especially portion control:laugh: Any how I couldn't walk by the Hershey Kisses last night:sad: but I can say I did better then the past. I did not eat half the bag:smile: Sunshine, your meal sounded healthy to me. I bet you w ill not see a big gain. Thanks for sharing your adventure......kind of dark and gloomy here in upstate NY nice to think of you strolling around down there where it is summer time. Have a safe trip this weekend. Hugs Richie
  • Baerlin
    Baerlin Posts: 14
    this is great, because I am a food addict too!!!! :laugh: I am not alone anymore...yay!!

My name is Silke and my weight fluctuates all the time, lose 20, gain 20. My biggest temptation is milk chocolate. Someone has
    bought me 2 bags of m&m's and I keep on snacking on those throughout the day. I finally put them way up in the closet where I do not see them!!
    There is are 2 quotes someone told me before that i am trying to tell myself everyday: "Nothing tastes better than thin feels like" and "eat to live not live to eat". These are pretty encouraging and while i say that I keep the image of my favorite jeans I want to fit again in my head! I have added on the daily foods to count the sugar that I am taking in and it is keeping me a little under control how many m&m's i can eat. :laugh:
    Anyway, thanks for this thread!
  • richardsrm
    Good "food" for thought Baerlin:smile: It is friday already ate for no good reason.........I may need to post a bunch of times this weekend. "eat to live" "eat to live" my new Mantra:laugh:
  • Eava57
    Welcome Holly! Yes, we all have slip ups...couldn't resist M and M's this afternoon. I will work out harder tomorrow! I don't feel bad any more about having an occasional sweet. This site is helping me learn moderation!!:tongue:
  • fooja
    fooja Posts: 451 Member
    hey.....im addicted to food too!! im totally addicted to peanut butter!! lol, i just cant say no! now, when i was younger (like 16-19) i drank and smoked weed and when i got preg i just quit it all. and i quit drinking with all my pregnancies. i even quit drinking a few months ago so i can lose weight. now why is it that i can quit those things no problem but i cant quit eating?? WTF!!! i even have beer still in my fridge and everyday i see it everytime i grab my water and it doesnt bother me.......but when i open that pantry for something.....the peanut butter is screamin EAT ME, EAT ME!!!!!! lol, food addiction is definately a disease, just as drug and alcohol addiction are!!!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunshin1ne, be careful your calorie count doesn't get too low. Your body will think you are starving and your metabolism will slooooww down! :wink: A gal from work said her daughter wants to go to Honduras with a church group. Are you from Honduras? :wink:

I'm "una hondureña honoraria." I've been working on infrastructure improvement projects in Honduras since 2005, but I'm from Pennsylvania. A church group is a good way to get started in Honduras, since it's a very different space and it's hard to get acclimated without help. I'm able to go on my own because I know the culture and I'm fluent in Spanish.

PS - home sweet home. I miss the fresh fruit! Hard to believe two days ago I was sitting under a tree full of hot pink flowers in 92-degree weather.
  • bluenote
    hey.....im addicted to food too!! im totally addicted to peanut butter!! lol, i just cant say no! now, when i was younger (like 16-19) i drank and smoked weed and when i got preg i just quit it all. and i quit drinking with all my pregnancies. i even quit drinking a few months ago so i can lose weight. now why is it that i can quit those things no problem but i cant quit eating?? WTF!!! i even have beer still in my fridge and everyday i see it everytime i grab my water and it doesnt bother me.......but when i open that pantry for something.....the peanut butter is screamin EAT ME, EAT ME!!!!!! lol, food addiction is definately a disease, just as drug and alcohol addiction are!!!

Welcome, fooja! I am also addicted to peanut butter. Have you tried the natural p-b from Peanut Butter & Co.? Way less cals and fat. And it sooooooo good!!!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Have you ever tried alternative nut butters? I like to mix peanut butter with soy nut butter. It satisfies the craving a little faster, although to some people soy nut butter tastes really bad. (Might be one way to break the habit? lol)
  • Eava57
    Thanks Sunshi1ne for the info. I will let my friend know about the church group being a way to go. Sounds like you are doing some good in the world.:flowerforyou:
    fooja, there was a peanut butter diet in my Prevention magazine awhile back. You can eat peanut butter but you must eat it in moderation (sadly, like everthing else). Try a google search on their site. Hope it helps you.
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476

The problem with food is that it tastes good :)
    We have to find other things to do instead of eating :p
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476

The problem with food is that it tastes good :)
    We have to find other things to do instead of eating :p
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!