Is running the best exercise?

124»

Replies

• nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    I got CRAZY stitches my first 2 weeks of C25K. Then I realized I don't breath well while running. A lot more focus on DEEP breaths, ALL the way in, and as far out as you can. I haven't had a stitch since :)
  • RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Running is not the best excercise for weight loss, but its a great one and a cheap one. About not being able to run consistently. Running is a mind game the second you walk you will continue to stop and walk. You need to push through this urge and continue running and one day it will just click. Mind over matter! Also High BPM music like dub step or techno helps!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    It depends on what your goals are, as well as your physical condition. Running is an excellent, weight-bearing cardio exercise and it does help many people lose weight. I would seek guidance on how to work up to it as you lose weight.

Strength training is important, too, but cardio is better for weight loss. However, calorie reduction is the key to weight loss, not exercise.
  • kford9
    kford9 Posts: 16 Member
    Running is great for weight loss but certainly not the only method. Kettlebells are amazing for fat loss and toning combined but any exercise is better than none. You are doing brilliantly and don't let one person put you off. I assume this other person is a runners, runners cab be a bit single minded I should know. If you do want to run couch to 5 k is excellent, I had lots of problems when I started injuries, getting breathless stitch but persevered it does get easier. I am now training for a marathon if you need more help ask I am happy to talk about running, too enthusiastic sometimes LOL.
    thanks Joy, yes i wouldnt mind sme advice on running. I have always struggled with it. I think id like to step up with my exercise now. I want to be fit and healthy and its going to be a long way ahead of me. I knowi can do this. What is couch to 5k then? xx

i'm a beginning runner, too. i don't have much stamina so i walk/run (3 minutes walk/2 minutes run). i know my form is probably lousy and i can't get the breathing right...but i keep trying. don't let anyone discourage you from what is working for YOU!
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    The best way to get better at something is to JUST DO IT!. I felt the same about running but I started with run to the light post then walk to the next and so on. With time you run more and walk less until you are just running. Anything is better than nothing so any form of physical activity is good.:smile:
  • lowpro1983
    lowpro1983 Posts: 305 Member
    I say find what works for you - listen to others' advice, but don't always take it to heart. I think you are doing great! I, too, have started the couch to 5k today. I've always hated running - partly bc since I'm overweight, I feel like a big slob running on a treadmill!! LOL...but let me tell you, I've seen people that are larger than I am do it...and I was like "dang, if she/he can do it, I can do it too!" If you are interested in incorporating running, I'd definitely search it so you can build yourself up. I use the elliptical a lot...but I like to switch things up so that's why I'm trying the whole running thing!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    The best exercise is the one that you actually do.

I hate running, and I'm getting in shape and losing weight just fine. Exercise is awesome, no matter where you find it.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Have to agree with others. Running is a great form of exercise. But, the greatest exercise is the one that you will do and be able to commit to doing 4-5 times a week. For some people, that's running for others it may be walking, the elliptical, weights, or something else. You should do something that you enjoy doing because you will be more likely to stick with it.
  • davery1985
    davery1985 Posts: 142 Member
    Thanks for all your helpful advice :-) I will give it a go, and if i dont like it i wont feel too bad. I know lots of people either love it or hate it so well see how i do.Im really wanting to loose weight and tone up, so i now know that my kettlebells is good for that. After having my daughter 14 months ago i really need the toning, the more the better :-) xx
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    you've lost 13lbs, you must be doing something right!

P.S. the only time I tend to get a stitch when running is when I've eaten something too heavy, and then done my run too soon afterwards. I find the best time to be either early evening before my evening meal. If I'm hungry I might eat a banana or something at least 45 minutes before my run.