Apparently, i'm a Fruit snob..

Options
13»

Replies

• meglynne1987
    meglynne1987 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am the same way... I will eat can fruit , if I must, but i would always rather have fresh fruit!!!! :)
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    I live in the midwest, and satsumas are apparently not a thing here. It's mandarin oranges in juice for me.

oh god, satsumas...yet another thing going on my list of "foods i always used to eat and can't frickin' find ANYWHERE in the midwest"!!!

when i lived on the west coast, the 5-lb boxes were stacked to the grocery-store rafters at xmas time.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't like the texture of cooked fruit. I will eat pineapple in some things, but unless we are talking about apples baked in a pie, don't cook my fruit!
  • HayleeWho1122
    HayleeWho1122 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I try and only eat the fresh stuff :D i feel healthier knowing it just came from the produce section at the grocery store
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    I was told I was on a snob diet, because I cook pretty much all my meals at home. Only snobs cooks meals at home, "regular" people go out to eat for the majority of their meals. Sometimes people really amaze me.

buuuh...whaaaa? i'm not sure what that person's idea of "regular people" is. i couldn't afford to eat out every day even if i *didn't* like to cook.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    I can afford monetarily to eat out every day, but eating out is primarily why I am overweight. The food I cook is so much better for me than what I can buy.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My grandma LOVES fruit salad. If that isn't sweet or sickly enough, she mixes in cool whip and marshmallows. Not even sure that she counts it as a desert since its 'fruit'. If that counts as fruit than I count as a zebra. She's diabetic and overweight too. Wonder why?

Ugh - "Ambrosia" - I swear EVERY family function has at least one invitee who thinks they've hit upon some magical unicorn dessert. And 25 other people talking about how much they love it. I have been put off by this stuff my entire life. Makes my stomach churn while typing. Worse, it's like a blend of fresh and canned fruit. So now they've even ruined the only palatable part, the fresh fruit! Not loking forward to the holidays, already.

ETA: Fruit snobs FTW! :bigsmile:
    ETAA: I hate the use of FTW.
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada...and we don't have peaches that grow on our trees in the middle of January. So, I like canned peaches in winter. I think that they are better canned (in water..no sugar added) than the stuff that they ship to us from either the USA or somewhere else in the world. I find that when I eat a peach from a foreign place in January, it ends up being really pasty and therefore I prefer the canned ones....otherwise, FRESH ALL THE WAY!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    We generally have some little "snack packs" of fruit in 100% juice or some of the no sugar added applesauce at our house. We eat a lot of fresh fruit, and prefer it.. but it's okay as a back up or to throw in a lunch bag sometimes... generally we use them toward "grocery day" when we've ran out of fresh fruit.

I don't think it tastes as good.. but its not terrible either.

However, I saw once my MIL pour the "juice" off a can of pears (heavy syrup) into a sippy cup for my nephew. She said, "Oh he just LOVES pear juice".. Yuck! I told my SIL (his mom) and it was promptly taken away. That's crossing the line!
  • mtaylor33557
    Options
    My grandma LOVES fruit salad. If that isn't sweet or sickly enough, she mixes in cool whip and marshmallows. Not even sure that she counts it as a desert since its 'fruit'. If that counts as fruit than I count as a zebra. She's diabetic and overweight too. Wonder why?

Ugh - "Ambrosia" - I swear EVERY family function has at least one invitee who thinks they've hit upon some magical unicorn dessert. And 25 other people talking about how much they love it. I have been put off by this stuff my entire life. Makes my stomach churn while typing. Worse, it's like a blend of fresh and canned fruit. So now they've even ruined the only palatable part, the fresh fruit! Not loking forward to the holidays, already.

ETA: Fruit snobs FTW! :bigsmile:
    ETAA: I hate the use of FTW.

I know it's terrible, but I actually like the taste.. especially if it has pecans and coconut in it. Haven't had it in years though.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    However, I saw once my MIL pour the "juice" off a can of pears (heavy syrup) into a sippy cup for my nephew. She said, "Oh he just LOVES pear juice".. Yuck! I told my SIL (his mom) and it was promptly taken away. That's crossing the line!

My mouth ACTUALLY dropped reading this part.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't really care for most canned fruit. I haven't had any in years. I eat a lot of fresh fruit. I freeze my own berries. Oh, but I do buy mandarin oranges in juice in those little individual serve plastic cups. I use them in Asian-inspired salads, then use the juice to make a dressing.
  • mtaylor33557
    Options

mine did too when I saw what she had done. Sweet, sweet lady... TERRIBLE with food decisions.. like she just doesn't get it. His momma took it away though, he didn't get to drink it.
  • lyttlewon
    Options

My kids former daycare used to do this. Note I say FORMER. They used to mix all the "juices" from the canned fruits together and feed it to the kids. This is specifically banned in the food code from the USDA. Disgusting. My daughter said it tasted horrible.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

mine did too when I saw what she had done. Sweet, sweet lady... TERRIBLE with food decisions.. like she just doesn't get it. His momma took it away though, he didn't get to drink it.

My in-laws are this way too. They are both diabetic and in poor health. You think they would know better, BUT - when my son was two months old they watched him for the afternoon while my husband was having a medical procedure. I went to pick him up and my FIL was feeding him candy corn! I was livid! He didn't have teeth yet (obviously). He didn't need the sugar. He could have choked. My FIL was holding it between his fingers and said,"Aw, nothing was gonna happen. I had a good grip on it. He was just sucking on it." REALLY????? What part of that is okay????
  • mtaylor33557
    Options

My kids former daycare used to do this. Note I say FORMER. They used to mix all the "juices" from the canned fruits together and feed it to the kids. This is specifically banned in the food code from the USDA. Disgusting. My daughter said it tasted horrible.

Wow! That's terrible! I bet it did taste horrible!!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

Mine too. I got sick to my stomach- as well.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

I would have SNAPPED. I sure hope they weren't a licensed daycare- and if they WERE, they aren't any longer!