23lb lost - don't look any different!

Replies

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Have you taken before and after pics?
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Personally I would add some strength training into that. That's how you'll lose the inches and will help you in seeing a difference. I do echo everything the others have said though. It takes patience and time and you will get there. Just keep at it! 23;bs is awesome.
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    I didn't notice a difference until I lost 30 pounds and took a few photos at events, etc. Then when I posted to facebook and was looking at photos from six months before...that is when I saw the difference.
  • glamouritz64
    glamouritz64 Posts: 85 Member
    As above really.

Now, I'm not expecting miracles, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my general health, which I am happy about. But 23lb seems like a pretty substantial weight loss to me, and whilst my ankles are definitely making an appearance, when I measure myself (hips, stomach and thighs), I have not lost an inch!
    My clothes feel exactly the same, and when people ask how I'm doing with my weight loss and I say 23lb, I get a look of disbelief.

I go to the gym around 3-4 times a week, but I do cardio exercises, not muscle building.

Has anyone else experienced this? I do have a grand total of 121lb to lose (98lb left), so I'm wondering if it's because I have a long way to go. It's not overly motivating, if I'm honest.

I'm not trying to be mean, or anything...but when you have a substantial amount to lose, sometimes you won't really see the effects of a loss until about the 35-40 lb. mark. Don't get discouraged!!! I've been there!!!! Just keep doing what you're doing, and you WILL begin to see results.
  • blueeylb
    blueeylb Posts: 297 Member
    Thing is, if I haven't lost an inch, where/how am I losing it?

visceralfat.jpg

From places that really matter.
    i like this photo, what you may not see on the outside is total different on the inside!!! thanks for showing this!
  • Honestly, do not get discouraged.

I seem to lose weight from my head down... so my face, neck and shoulders slim down WAY before anything that is actually useful in my pursuit of better clothes.

Take pictures, use a tape measure, and trust that whilst you aren't seeing it quite yet.. it DOES add up.

Stay strong!
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    I hear ya! I'm 19 pounds down but only lost 1 inch in my waist, no where else. I did drop a shirt size, and my jeans are feeling a little more comfortable/loose. I don't feel like I *look* any different - but I do feel better! More energetic most of the time.

Remember, we look at ourselves ALL THE TIME - it is so gradual, we might not see it! Go hang out with someone you haven't seen in a while - they will probably notice! :)

Keep it up! God Bless!
  • Good points by lots of people here. The areas which showed the fat loss initially were on my neck and upper back/shoulders, it took to about ~15% weight loss to really see it in the midsection, legs, etc. Where someone starts to lose inches initially will be in the areas with the most fat stores, which can be different for everyone.
  • Toofhairy
    Toofhairy Posts: 106 Member
    I know how you feel. I lost 22 lbs and have about 75 - 80 to go. I notice that my pants are a little loose, but not much else is different. I've lost an inch here and there, but nothing dramatic. I see some people posting on the message boards that have lost 20 lbs and dropped 3 dress sizes. It got me a little discouraged too, but I think I'm over it now. I also do cardio and only just started with strength training last week...hoping that will make a difference. I know that It's so awkward when someone asks how much I've lost and I tell them and see "that look." But, we have a long way to go and it will happen! Don't give up!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    From my own experience anyone with 100+lbs o lose will probably do a little like this:

1st 20lbs - No real change other than you probably feel better
    2nd 20lbs - Face and Waist start to change, clothes getting loose.
    3rd 20lbs - Dayum you've changed!! This is where I noticed the biggest changes all over
    4th...I'm still working on that one but haven't noticed that much of a change, guess its a little like the 2nd 20lbs.

Basically don't be too discouraged if you aren't noticing anything yet, it will come in time. As long as that scale is moving in the right direction, keep on doing what you do.
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Have you looked at before and after pics of yourself? You might be surprised by what you see.

Truth.

I only wanted to lose 30 lbs. After 10, I didn't feel any different, after 15, I began noticing it in pictures. I did a comparison of 10, 15, 20 lbs lost....I was amazed how much of a difference there really was. Pictures show it best.

This picture is a simple illustration of how pictures showed just a 10 lbs difference on me. (I'm uber short). 135-130-125
    2-1.jpg

You should definitely take measurements too. I did 30 Day Shred last summer. I didn't lose hardly any weight, but I lost mad inches!

Since you have a considerable amount to lose, start tracking per measurements, pictures, etc. Also, buy some clothes that are too small. Put them in the back of your closet. Out of sight, out of mind. In a few months try them on.....they will be not only not be tight anymore, but they will be too big! That is a huge motivator for me. I buy clothes tight, forget about them then months later try them on for funsy. I normally find I wasted the money because the clothes are now too big. Actually, the 125 lbs picture on the right....I bough those Bermuda shorts WAYYYYYY too tight. I forgot about them until the next summer. I tried them on....and you see the results in the picture. Yeah, I wasted the money, but the self esteem and motivation it causes is worth it.

Get creative. Have fun with your journey.
  • asdandme
    asdandme Posts: 72 Member
    Don't lose heart you are doing great!!! I lost 20lbs before starting mfp and you couldnt 't tell:grumble: but I've lost another 12lbs and wow:bigsmile: can you tell !!!!! I dropped 3 sizes!!!!!:bigsmile: so keep it up you'll soon see results! add me as a friend if you want:smile:
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    :) I'm there with you. I have a long way to go still.

I've lost 17 so far and the only difference is my wrist. I can use the next notch up on my watch. Otherwise my clothes feel the same and my measurements were the same last I checked (I'm trying to wait about a month in between them though). No one has noticed yet either.

(*note-I am not complaining about the weight loss, I'm happy! Just wanted to add another comment so she doesn't feel so alone. Slow and steady is the way to go though so hang in there).
  • Hi! I lost 100 lbs and at 23 lbs lost I definitely had seen changes in clothes sizes, but my difference was that I incorporated weights into my workout routine. Girls don't get big when they lift weights unless they take a testosterone supplement, so don't worry about that.

What you can start off doing is split your gym routine in half. Do half cardio at beginning and end, then in the middle do some arm, chest/back and leg exercises. You don't really need to do core as it's being worked on as you do the others. Start off with very little weight and work up when it starts getting really easy. I hope I've helped and good luck!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    A couple have said the wrist, which is odd, as for the last two weeks I have been wearing a (now loose) watch that I couldn't even get on before. Seems an odd place to loose it first!

A lot are saying to do strength training - I'm a bit worried about this as I've been told that doing this when you are already fat will not help you lose weight, you will just gain muscle, and that I need to get to the size I'm happy with and then tone.
    Is that true or more rubbish I've read/been told?
  • A lot are saying to do strength training - I'm a bit worried about this as I've been told that doing this when you are already fat will not help you lose weight, you will just gain muscle, and that I need to get to the size I'm happy with and then tone.

Here's what I've been told about this:

Unless you're going into strength training specifically to build muscle (which means high calorie, high protein diet with nothing but lifting weights), or you have over 25% body fat, then yes you should lose fat first. But while lowering your caloric intake, plus exercising, you aren't at the optimal level to really build muscle but you will still build it at a slower rate than the first method. Also, lean mass eats fat for breakfast (lunch and dinner too).

I would argue that even the above 25% bf people could incorporate weights into their routine and still lose fat sufficiently, you'll just see the weight come off slower (in numbers) due to muscle mass increase. I argue this because I did this and it worked great for me.

Also, start taking pictures when you weigh so you can really see it coming off via pictures. Oh and fat doesn't come off from any specific place, your DNA says where it comes off first so don't get discouraged!
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    A lot are saying to do strength training - I'm a bit worried about this as I've been told that doing this when you are already fat will not help you lose weight, you will just gain muscle, and that I need to get to the size I'm happy with and then tone.
    My vote is rubbish.
    -"just" gain muscle? You'll feel better too. It's nice to feel stronger.
    -Muscle burns more calories in a resting state
    -our bodies are kinda stupid - they don't know if you're eating fewer calories because of a drought or because you need to hunt/gather faster. I think that building muscle helps to communicate to your body that it's the latter - otherwise, your body will burn muscle along with fat.
    -strength training is great, but you can't out-run your fork. It's important to eat back these calories, but it's also important to eat well. For me that means no sugar & an absolute minimum of processed foods.
  • BeeRobin
    BeeRobin Posts: 160 Member
    If I am being redundant--pardon.

Take a photo of yourself (face or full body) for every ten pounds lost. You will see a difference. Like you I had 120 to loose. People I work with didn't really notice until 40lbs in. I knew...and that's all that mattered.
  • I'm so happy for this thread in general. I was just about the post the same thing. I've lost 17 lbs and my tight jeans feel comfortable, but I haven't dropped the 3 dress sizes some people claim. I was all excited to go down a size in jeans, but alas, not even close. It feels like the scale numbers are going down and nothing else is changing. Glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way!
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    WIth that much weight to lose, no 23 pounds will not make a big difference looks wise. It takes 30-40 pounds lost before I or anyone else notices I've lost any weight. Just be proud of what you've done and keep going.