How to approach wiping down to others...

13»

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Swab the bottom of your purse. The gym equipment will seem like nothing. :laugh:
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Just wipe the equipment before you use it, that's what I do. Sometimes when I feel like it I wipe down the machine after, but I usually use the same paper towel that I used to clean it off when I first got on the machine. I would not want someone to tell me to wipe down my machine because 1. I would be sketched out that they are watching me 2. It's not my job to wipe them down - but yes it could be seen as courtesy 3. As nice as you try to tell someone to wipe down their machine I think it will come across as being rude. As long as you wipe down the machine before you use it and shower after the gym you will be fine.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Shower before and after...you keep others safe and yourself.....ask the mgr of the gym what their cleaning routine is...

Shower BEFORE?! wtf is the point of that when you're going somewhere to get sweaty any way?
  • StephStepByStep
    StephStepByStep Posts: 131 Member
    Swab the bottom of your purse. The gym equipment will seem like nothing. :laugh:

This is very true :tongue:
  • ladysatin
    ladysatin Posts: 35 Member
    I went to the gyms on a military base and they provided antiseptic wipes for you to wipe down the machine after you used it. Anyone caught not doing it got in trouble and wasn't allowed to go for a period of time. They also required you brought in a towel with you to clean up. They had signs posted every where with those containers of wipes to clean up after yourself when you got down with a machine.
  • ladysatin
    Shower before and after...you keep others safe and yourself.....ask the mgr of the gym what their cleaning routine is...

Shower BEFORE?! wtf is the point of that when you're going somewhere to get sweaty any way?

That keeps your bacteria from home outside of the gym. Shower before you leave so you don't bring home their bacteria.
  • ladysatin

This is very true :tongue:

I keep mine very clean. I read all that stuff about people putting their purses down on the floors in bathrooms but freak out if people don't put down those things on the toilet. They said there was so much bacteria on the floor that it didn't matter anymore if you put that thing down if you weren't keeping your purse off the floor.
  • ...and just to clarify...

I DO wipe down the equipment I use. Not because it's sanitary; not because sweat is gross; not because I don't want to be accosted by the "wipe brigade". I do it because there is a sign on the wall that states it as a rule.

Rules are rules.
    Totally agree. Rules are rules
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member

That keeps your bacteria from home outside of the gym. Shower before you leave so you don't bring home their bacteria.

Sure and you can pay for my water bill.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    200,000 years ago: our ancestors ate raw meat, didnt wash hands, etc.

Present: why does no one wipe of the equipment?!?!?!

honestly someone needs to say it, you need to metaphorically; grow a pair and man up.

I'd like to briefly mention that in the past 200,000 years both the kinds of germs we have and the abilities of our immune systems to handle them have dramatically changed. Due to 100 years of rampant antibiotic use (the antibiotics your doctors prescribes for a viral infection just to placate you, the prophylactic antibiotics we give to cattle, the constant antibacterial soap use) we have created new virulent strains of bacteria that CANNOT be treated. I'm too aware of just how common MRSA and other antibiotic resistant infections are to be lax as many of you are. And yes, I realize it's slightly ironic to advocate the use of antibacterial spray on communal gym equipment to avoid transmission of resistant bacteria, but I for one am not willing to take one for the team.

I will, however, continue to use antibiotics only when I truly need them, buy antibiotic free beef and milk, and advocate for responsible antibiotic use.

Oh, and if you're one of those people leaving sweat puddles on equipment: you're gross.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    200,000 years ago: our ancestors ate raw meat, didnt wash hands, etc.

Present: why does no one wipe of the equipment?!?!?!

honestly someone needs to say it, you need to metaphorically; grow a pair and man up.

I'd like to briefly mention that in the past 200,000 years both the kinds of germs we have and the abilities of our immune systems to handle them have dramatically changed. Due to 100 years of rampant antibiotic use (the antibiotics your doctors prescribes for a viral infection just to placate you, the prophylactic antibiotics we give to cattle, the constant antibacterial soap use) we have created new virulent strains of bacteria that CANNOT be treated. I'm too aware of just how common MRSA and other antibiotic resistant infections are to be lax as many of you are. And yes, I realize it's slightly ironic to advocate the use of antibacterial spray on communal gym equipment to avoid transmission of resistant bacteria, but I for one am not willing to take one for the team.

I will, however, continue to use antibiotics only when I truly need them, buy antibiotic free beef and milk, and advocate for responsible antibiotic use.

Oh, and if you're one of those people leaving sweat puddles on equipment: you're gross.

Just how "common" is MRSA, exactly?