Pizza alternative?

Replies

• My homemade pizza consists of:
    1 Kangaroo Flat bread, spread with one wedge of Laughing Cow Light cheese (any flavor)
    A sprinkling of Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles
    Chopped onion, peppers mushrooms (or your favorite veggies)
    Place the pizza directly on the oven rack at 350 for 13 minutes. Remove by sliding a flat cookie sheet under it. Cut in 4 wedges.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    We make up a batch of english muffin pizzas. I'll get some organic pizza sauce (found some at whole foods) and spread that on the english muffin, add my toppings and a sprinkling of cheese and pop those bad boys in the oven.

The calories are still fairly high...I think last time I had them I did 600 calories, which was 2 english muffins (4 halves of a muffin.) But, it was within my calorie range, satisfied my pizza craving and there weren't a ton of leftover pizza "slices" to tempt me to overeat. Bonus!

If I really wanted a regular pizza slice, I would probably go to a place like yelp.com and find the BEST rated pizza place in the area and go eat a slice or two, savoring them.

I've seen a few people mention the cauliflower pizza. I am totally going to try that as well. Google's got tons of recipes for it.
  • I love me some pizza. Love this thread and all the ideas I'm getting. Thank's to all of you who are posting recipes.
  • Have you tried the Weight Watchers Frozen Pizza? the calories are right on the box and I find it really satisfys the urge for Pizza. It is best cooked in the oven. You can even doctor it up with other veggies. Good Luck
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    I use a tortilla and in a frying pan cook one side till it bubbles, flip it over and add tomato sauce and low fat cheese. Any other toppings are fine too. Cover it to keep heat and melt the cheese.
    You end up with an individual serving that is really fast to make :)

I make this for my daycare kids with a turkey pepperoni and it is a huge hit. that and I use 80 calorie buns, split in 1/2 and add pizza sauce and toppings. Same thing, pizza buns are a huge hit with kids!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Image.jpg

This is the cauliflower crust thin crust we made tonight. Was a success! Only drawback is the loaded toppings broke the crust lol

Using forks wasnt any big deal - it was deeeelish!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    My wife makes her own pizza dough and only puts a very light brushing of oil and very little cheese.
    If your tomato sauce is lean also, this is a very good meal.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Use a portobello mushroom in place of a crust! A nice veggie replaces fat, carbs, and calories!!! Tons of recipes on yahoo. Just make sure you don't wash the mushroom first...
  • Flatout pizza = sosososo good.

I didn't read the whole thread, but just in case it wasn't already said... Tilapia Pizza's = Amaaaazing. Using a tilapia loin, cover a baking sheet or pizza tin with tinfoil, lay the tilapia on it. I use 1-2 tbsp of salsa, a smattering of low fat cheese, and then whatever veggies I'm craving. They are SO fantastic :)
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    idk if anyone posted this, i haven't read the whole thread.
    i get a whole wheat low carb tortilla, prolly around burrito size. spread spaghetti sauce over half of it, and put cheese and whatever pizza toppings inside. i make it on the skillet like a quesadilla, and flip it in half once the cheese melts. yum! depending what type of cheese and toppings you use, you can easily get it around 200 calories
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    I use the Flat Out brand wraps for a crust. They are 90 calories and I think they taste great with a little sauce, some cheese and a little 97% fat free ham. Yum :)

^^This if you just have too.
    I would have a couple slices thin crust and a salad.
    I don't deprive myself anything.
    Stay within daily goal and you're fine.
    Good luck...

i have done that too, i got the spinach flat out and made a pizza on it and put it in the toaster oven. it was pretty damn good
  • I use pita bread.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    I use one of those 100 calorie sandwich thins, I make my own tomato sauce but you can alwas use the jarred stuff and grate some mozzarella cheese on top (but again you can alwas use the pre shredded stuff) Pop in the oven for 5 minutes and you have 2 mini pizzas
  • mussmom
    mussmom Posts: 362 Member
    I found "Full of Life Flat Bread Pizza" in the "healthy" freezer section at Fred Meyer. I don't know where you live, or if you have Fred Meyer, but that is the brand. They are about 7-8 inches around and 544 calories for the entire thing. I put tones of veggies on, then bake. Mushrooms, asparagus, red bell peppers, zucchini, whatever is in the fridge. I also either add chicken breast or frozen shrimp. (I microwave the shrimp first so it is hot and I can drain it). This is by far the best replacement I have ever found. After a hard workout-yum.
  • tcaesar69
    tcaesar69 Posts: 3 Member
    Do you have Trader Joes where you live? In the refrigerator section by the cheese look for a product called Arabian Joes Thin Crust Spicy Spinach Pizza. There's 6 to a package and you can top it with anything extra that you like! ea pizza has 140 calories, 2grams fat, 27 carb, 2 gram fiber, 5 gram protein. There are really good when you bake them in the oven for a bit then topp it with extra veg and trukey oe veggie pepperonini and then broil for a minute ! YUMMY!
  • blb1230
    blb1230 Posts: 69 Member
    Bump...Great ideas here!! I can't wait to try the cauliflower pizza :flowerforyou:
  • Try half an english muffin with pizza sauce and just sprikle lightly with cheese. No pep though because that is where all the cals are. Veggies are healthy too so you can add them too.
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Take that whole wheat english muffin and add pizza sauce, low skim mozz. cheese , and whatever other toppings you want and put it in the oven till its crispy! I use to do the same with garlic bread slices.
  • bastgoddess7
    bastgoddess7 Posts: 64 Member
    I absolutely do not believe in depriving myself of anything I want. If it fits into your daily goal, then why not have it? Google for healthier recipes if you want, but I eat pizza when I want it.

YES! Stay within your daily calorie and fitness goals, and don't deprive yourself!! But I wouldn't eat pizza everyday..though I totally could..LOL
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    I take a whole wheat wrap and use it for the crust. It's low in calories and gets nice and crispy, yes it's thin but I love it. Make sure your sauce is low in sugar, cheese is low fat, than add veggies. Yummmmmm yesterday there was a recipe for pizza crust made from cauliflower, you could do a search for that. :glasses:

Can this be done on a whole-wheat English muffin? (Never mind, saw the answer after I posted--would sound great on an English muffin)