Warrior dash or Tough Mudder

13»

Replies

• Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    I did the Warrior Dash in June. It really wasn't that hard, running the hilly terrain was harder than any of the obstacles. It's about 3 miles long so if you can run that far and climb a ladder you will probably be fine. You can go around any obstacle you don't want to do.

I haven't done a Tough Mudder, but I have friends that did. It's a half marathon plus obstacles, real obstacles not the easy Warrior Dash ones. They jumped off a cliff into water and were electrocuted several times. It's hardcore.

My friend told me that at the end of mile 3 in the TM, they put up a sign reading "Warrior Dash Finish", at that point you still have ten miles to run.

Wow, they don't shock you but electrocute you? That's Hardcore. I don't think I would like to die in the middle of a run. :wink:

Omg that seriously made me LMAO :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I am doing the warrior dash this weekend and I can't wait!!! :drinker:
  • TammiAcker
    TammiAcker Posts: 53 Member
    I did the WD this past June. I was the only one of our group that "trained" for it, but I was the only one "out of shape". I didn't want to do this at first.... I was just going to watch..., but then I thought I don't wanna be the only one left out! Anyway, yes for most people it is not difficult. My whole group ended up finishing each obstacle before me. I'm short so I needed some assistance to get over the hurdles. But I completed all the obstacles. Since you have time I would recommend you work on upper body strength, because you are going to need it. Looking back I'm so proud of myself for going and finishing! Do it and have fun!
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Warrior Dash is a BLAST! So much fun, and as others have said all shapes and sizes and walks of life participate! Loved every minute of it. :bigsmile: I definitely would go with the Warrior before TM, although my trainer keeps trying to get me to sign up for the TM. :laugh: He thinks I would love the challenge, I'm not on board yet. Keep training and you will do amazing but really just go and have a great time! Btw, I loved it so much I signed up for one on 9/15 and already am signed up for next year! Lol

You are definitely ready for the TM :)
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Doing a Warrior Dash in Ohio in a few weeks- it looks like a challenge but still "fun."

I was all about doing the Tough Mudder next until I heard from a friend that he was shocked and knocked out cold on the course. I'm not THAT hardcore.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Start with Warrior Dash. My husband and I have a client who did Tough Mudder this summer (he is a hard core athlete) and it took him almost 5 hours to do it. He said that anyone who wants to train for it start running up hiking trails. It is supposed to be incredibly hard but it looks like a lot of fun!
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Did the Zombie Run in Denver, what a blast!!!

I would highly recommend it. Waiting for the Tough Mudder to come back around next year.
  • Txifonly
    Txifonly Posts: 43 Member
    Absoluely go for it! I've done it and it was a blast! The first time I had to go around an obstacle or two but the last time I made it all the way through. It was a great time. I highly recommend it.
  • JessKrcmar
    JessKrcmar Posts: 33 Member
    I'm doing my second Warrior Dash this weekend.....it's really as easy or as hard as you want it to be. No one makes you run if you don't want to, and like previous posters said, you can go around the obstacles if it just doesn't work out for you. The one thing I would recommend is to keep working that upper body strength, as I found that most of the obstacles I had last year were some kind of climbing exercise....I was amazed that I could do them all (some of them were just barely!) and how SORE I was in my arms and shoulders the next few days! I'd like to work up to a Tough Mudder, but I know they are much more difficult. GOOD LUCK!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    i'm doing a zombie 5k in september. can't wait!
    We are signed up for a Zombie 5k. www.runforyourlives.com There are zombies that chase you while you do the 5k and there are obstacles such as running through a fake pool of blood. I am sooooo excited. There is beer and bands at the end.
  • I am a 49 year old sort of out of shape guy. My girlfriend (In great shape) wants to do this. Do you think it is possible without much time to train? The Warrior Dash in CT is in 1 month. Any advise please
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    Depends on how out of shape :) You've got about 40 days until the Dash (I go off in the 9:30 heat!) so use the time. Could you actually finish a 5k? That's the question!
  • gendoll
    gendoll Posts: 89 Member
    What would everyone consider a reasonable amount of time to "train"? I've never competed in anything (always too afraid of failing) but there is one on my b-day this year and I would really like to enter. I'm reasonably fit just overweight. I have just under 3 months until the event and need to decide if I want to sign up. Any advise is helpful.
  • twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    What would everyone consider a reasonable amount of time to "train"? I've never competed in anything (always too afraid of failing) but there is one on my b-day this year and I would really like to enter. I'm reasonably fit just overweight. I have just under 3 months until the event and need to decide if I want to sign up. Any advise is helpful.

Three months should be plenty of time to get ready, especially if you've already been working out. Focus on running and upper body strength and you should be in great shape.

Don't let fear of failure stop you from enjoying yourself. One of my favorite quotes that I frequently see on these forums is, "A year from now, you will wish you had started today." Sign up--you'll be glad you did after you finish the race!
  • They are fantastic! If you cannot accomplish an obstacle there is a way around every one of them. However, they are all fairly do-able. I had a blast, could not run the entire thing but that was due to the muddy hills. No traction made it hard to run. I even ended up doing it twice in a row that day for fun, was so sore later but it is not a far off goal to finish one, just to finish in the time you want.
  • fhfreedom
    fhfreedom Posts: 35 Member
    How often did you do the circuits? 3, 4, 5, 6 x a week?
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Doing Warrior Dash Sept 22nd in CT. Tough Mudder is a LOT longer.

Me too! I did a Warrior Dash in June and it was very, very fun by my body was sore for a few days after lol. I had no problems doing any of the obstacles, it was challenging but not impossible. You get SO dirty, bring a garbage bag, baby wipes, and a change of clothes and shoes! And you can totally rinse off and throw your clothes and shoes in the washing machine and they'll be fine (though, a lot of people donate their shoes). Lots of fun!

I'm doing my first Tough Mudder in October and it's a good 4 times longer (12 miles versus 3.1) and the obstacles look more intense! I ran my first half marathon in June as well and have been strength training, so hopefully I'm prepared!
  • vegamy

I think that's a reasonable amount of time for a Warrior Dash, especially if you've been running or jogging at all. My boyfriend is doing Couch to 5K to get up to running 5K before the event, and if you're able to do a fair amount (say, 10) pushups, sit-ups, and (even assisted) pull-ups, you'll be just fine.
  • vegamy
    We are signed up for a Zombie 5k. www.runforyourlives.com There are zombies that chase you while you do the 5k and there are obstacles such as running through a fake pool of blood. I am sooooo excited. There is beer and bands at the end.

I did this one! It was a blast, but way, way muddy (to the point where it was hard to run)!!
  • LvLite
    LvLite Posts: 102 Member
    Got talked into doing Warrior Dash on Nov. 10th! SCARED! hahaha. Doing C25K.. on Wk 6,. Day 1 tomorrow... will be reading all these posts!!!
  • pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    As you can see from my profile pic I finished my WD today! It was awesome. Honestly not at all bad.