"a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" vs clean eating

1235»

Replies

• sisterphonetica
    sisterphonetica Posts: 59 Member
    I am trying to stick to a lower GI diet and fewer processed foods. I think combining the calorie approach with low GI, unprocessed foods with occasional less healthy options is much more sustainable.
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    This website has a ton of information about why a calorie is not a calorie is not a calorie. :smooched:

http://blog.metaboliceffect.com/

But I found that logging calories for ME helps me understand how I'm using them.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Honestly, I think you need all sorts of foods to have a balanced diet. Trying to lose or not, your body needs certain things more than others. You need vitamins, minerals, water, protein, etc. My way of thinking is that I can eat whatever I want within the limits I set for myself. Such as 150 carbs, 30g sugar, 100g protein 20g fiber.... etc etc. Just as an example. As long as I meet my goals and stay within them I eat whatever necessary to get there.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I was always what is called a "clean eater". I didn't know that was what it was called, and it wasn't because I was following a philosophy. That was the way of eating that was natural, comfortable and enjoyable for me. I never had to go on a diet or worry about calories or try to lose weight. Even after having children, I just didn't think about losing weight. I just ate healthy and exercised, with occasional treats. Eating a clean diet like that does usually mean that your diet will be naturally regulated in such a way that weight loss will not be as big of an issue and you don't need to worry too much about counting calories. You are eating lots of filling foods that have lots of nutrition and not a lot of calories. You are listening to your body's nutritional needs.

If you are going with the calorie is a calorie way, then you need to know what your caloric needs are, count calories and stick with that.

Also I like to have healthy, youthful skin. It's a personal choice. I am happy this way. People should do what makes them happy. We all have different medical issues and diet can sometimes help with that. Different people need different things in order to feel good and enjoy life. And people have different taste preferences. What tastes good to me does not taste good to others, and what tastes good to them does not taste good to me. I would also imagine that for some people when they are younger they can eat whatever they want within a calorie restriction and still be glowing with health, but that may change as they get older.

It's good to hear lots of different options and experiences and then decide for yourself what type of balance you want to strike.

I just think it's strange how people judge other people for eating more healthy foods. If that's what a person likes, and enjoys then what's the issue?

Like I said, I have never been over weight, so I only know what works for me personally, and do not generally give out weight loss advice.
  • Believeth64
    Believeth64 Posts: 469 Member
    BUMP
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    The people who say "a calorie is a calorie, etc." are not thinking in terms of the bigger picture or they have not been through or observed this directly themselves. It's a way for them to defend their beloved junk food. In terms of merely losing weight they are technically correct. If that is all one is after then the discussion is moot.

However, that's like saying that a body is a body is a body. The viewpoint needs to be one of lifestyle and long term. You take 2 people and put them both through the same calorie deficit and exercise program but one eats junk and the other eats "clean" then compare those bodies afterwards. Also, compare how they both felt during the process. Who was sick, who had headaches, who had sleep issues? Excessive hunger cravings? Both have lost weight, but one is healthier, more energetic, feels fuller and has better skin and likely better muscle tone. The other is slightly malnourished at best. Guess which one that is. Sure you can have your cake and eat it too but you still are paying a price. But you can also be too extreme. A disciplined eater who occasionally (big debate on how often that should be) takes on a morsel of junk food is not necessarily cancelling out all their hard work prior. Balance and perspective is important to all of this.

ETA: Nutrition trumps calorie deficit every time.

I eat what I want , I have lost 40lb in 4 months and exercise every day (10 mile bike ride) , my blood pressure has lowered and is now normal , my resting heart beat is around 48 , my cholesterol level is below the normal level , my breathing has improved (I still have problems with exercise induced asthma though) No headaches, I can ride 5 mile in 22 minutes, I have excellent skin tone and I'm improving muscle tone with cycling and core strengthening exercises. So in which way am I unhealthy other than having another 100lb to lose ?
  • The people who say "a calorie is a calorie, etc." are not thinking in terms of the bigger picture or they have not been through or observed this directly themselves. It's a way for them to defend their beloved junk food. In terms of merely losing weight they are technically correct. If that is all one is after then the discussion is moot.

However, that's like saying that a body is a body is a body. The viewpoint needs to be one of lifestyle and long term. You take 2 people and put them both through the same calorie deficit and exercise program but one eats junk and the other eats "clean" then compare those bodies afterwards. Also, compare how they both felt during the process. Who was sick, who had headaches, who had sleep issues? Excessive hunger cravings? Both have lost weight, but one is healthier, more energetic, feels fuller and has better skin and likely better muscle tone. The other is slightly malnourished at best. Guess which one that is. Sure you can have your cake and eat it too but you still are paying a price. But you can also be too extreme. A disciplined eater who occasionally (big debate on how often that should be) takes on a morsel of junk food is not necessarily cancelling out all their hard work prior. Balance and perspective is important to all of this.

This is one of the best answers I have seen.

One must ask themselves what KIND of body do they want. Personally I don;t want to simply lose weight. I want a ripped hard body like I had before. A lean hard active body. A body that is awe inspiring and ready to take on anything I throw at it. Based on what I want, a calorie is not simply a calorie.

If you don't care about body composition and your only focus is weight loss, then for you a calorie is simply a calorie. Perhaps that is your best approach for now. I simply don't want to put in all the hard work just to lose weight. I also want to gain muscle and muscle tone. that means I will have to watch the types of calories I take it. (see my other post in this thread)

I've been in the fitness industry for over a decade. Bad habits are hard to break and I've had many a client argue with me about their nutrition. So, I simply trained them and let them do it their way for awhile. And in every instance after several months of training they all finally came to me and said.."Okay, how should I be eating?"

Unless you have unique genetic (and some people do), you can't simply wing it. There are rules and guidelines you should follow in order to achieve peak fitness. However, with all that said. It's all about what your final destination is. I want more than simple weight loss.

My program is extreme. I am in phase one. Which consist of creating a serious calorie deficit of the the next 4 weeks. I know I will lose some muscle as a result, however I am also forcing my body into a deficit that it must compensate for. Week six I will increase protein consumption and add some daily calories.

It's a unique journey for each of us. Just remember you are the alchemist of your own fitness. Enjoy the journey.
  • Congrats on your weight loss! that is awesome!

Here is what you are experiencing.

When you have a lot of weight to lose you tend to lose is pretty quickly at first. I see you are biking and lifting. I think its a safe bet that you went form couch potato to active in short time. You have increased your daily output and your body is responding. However, this will not last forever. (Unless you increase your daily out put to some ungodly level) You will hit a plateau. Furthermore, you will begin to lose that new found muscle tone if you don't eat to retain it. Once you lose enough weight you will notice something we call "skinny flabby"... Lots of weight loss but weak muscle tone because you are not eating for it.

You are early in your program, so you wont notice it "while you eat whatever you want" That time will come. So be ready to make some nutritional changes.
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    The people who say "a calorie is a calorie, etc." are not thinking in terms of the bigger picture or they have not been through or observed this directly themselves. It's a way for them to defend their beloved junk food. In terms of merely losing weight they are technically correct. If that is all one is after then the discussion is moot.

I eat what I want , I have lost 40lb in 4 months and exercise every day (10 mile bike ride) , my blood pressure has lowered and is now normal , my resting heart beat is around 48 , my cholesterol level is below the normal level , my breathing has improved (I still have problems with exercise induced asthma though) No headaches, I can ride 5 mile in 22 minutes, I have excellent skin tone and I'm improving muscle tone with cycling and core strengthening exercises. So in which way am I unhealthy other than having another 100lb to lose ?

I'm sorry if I offended you in any way. That was not my intent. I am merely culprit of having very strong convictions on this. My guess is that my point will be more important to you when you get down closer to your goal weight. But the question remains how much better you would feel if you took a more focused approach on nutrition as well as calorie deficit right now. Losing excess weight in an of itself creates tremendous health benefits as you are wonderfully experiencing. Like I said, I've been through this before and this time with a more concerted effort to eat 'clean' I can tell you that it makes a huge difference in almost everything.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    A calorie IS a calorie. Anyone who tells you otherwise is BSing. If yo're not losing weight it has to do with your calories in vs calories out, not what you're eating.

HOWEVER, what you're eating makes a huge difference health-wise, emotionally and physically you feel better if you're eating better. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a diet higher in lean protein contributes to muscle gain which is also great to have.