Chicken brest ideas?

2»

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    My mom has a neurological condition and part of the treatment includes strict diet and boiling is the only methode of cooking allowed. It does work for her and she does feel much better if she sticks to it but how many times can a person it chicken and broccoli/cuccini/squash/etc stew? That's why I asked for your help guys.

Do you have any good recipies for chicken/fish/meat that does not involve baking/frying/roasting ect and only boiling (Boiling – Blanching – Braising – Coddling – steaming - Poaching – Pressure cooking – Simmering -Stewing and so on)

I think had you made it specific in your first post to start the thread, the suggestions would have been better - so please understand its no one's fault for offering ideas that were based off of what they read.

Is your mom under the care of an RD as well? Im surprised they didnt give your mother the necessary information as they usually give tons of recipe ideas. I would highly suggest your mother get in contact with the RD (hopefully there is one assigned to her case) and make him/her give some recipe suggestions.

To be honest, this is extremely easy as any recipe can be modified. Unfortunately, no one here is going to offer any suggestions that will be suitable because everyone's definition of 'spicy' is going to differ.

I would definitely suggest you pull up Google, and research her condition and have the search tie it to recipe suggestions.

I believe I know which neuro-condition you are hinting at (I work in healthcare ), but Im going to be dead honest with you: you are better of modifying recipes on your own where only you know the specifics of what your mother can or cant have.

We would be risking messing with any medications your mother is taking and therefore its a line that has to be drawn... someone could recommend an idea here but it could be a detriment to your mother....

Can you be extremely specific - more than what you have indicated here? Make an easy list of what she CAN have.... it is much easier to mentally handle it that way....

Take care...
  • I like to put Old Bay seasoning on chicken and either grill or bake it. It comes out juicier if you bake it. It's simple and different and really good.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    I poach chicken a lot. I'll use it in salads, soups or stir fries, plain with some starch and a veg.

I don't have recipes, I just make whatever comes to mind.

Just pick a recipe and switch out the fried or baked chicken with poaching.

You can alter almost any recipe to suit your tastes.

I use www.allrecipes.com a lot.
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    because Im *literally* allergic to EVERYTHING I know how to cook chicken many different ways

do you have a george foreman? or an outside grill? do you have a crockpot?

message me and i'll copy and paste a bunch of recipies for you if you'd like :-)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    we do mushroom chicken in the crock pot sometimes the chicken canned green beans with new potatoes and cream of mushroom soup (skim any fat off the top before serving)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Chicken (serves four):

Nutrition per serving: 128 calories, 3 g total fat, 9 g carbohydrates, 16 g protein, 45 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium

Ingredients:
    - 4 Small chicken breast halves (12 oz. total)
    - 1 medium apple, cored
    - 1/2 cup apple juice
    - 1 clove garlic minced
    - Dash black pepper
    - Either 3/4 teaspoon fresh tarragon or 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried tarragon
    - 1/2 teaspoon instant chicken bullion granule
    - 1/4 cup sliced green onion
    - 1 tablespoon cold water
    - 1 1/2 teaspoon corn starch

Combine the apple juice, tarragon, bullion granules, garlic, and pepper in a large skillet and bring to a boil. Add chicken, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for about 7 minutes. Turn chicken, add apple slices and green onions.Cover and simmer until chicken is tender and no longer pink (about 4-5 minutes). Remove the chicken and apple slices with a slotted spoon and set to the side (cover to keep warm. In a small bowl, combine the water and cornstarch and add to liquid remaining in the skillet, cooking and stirring for about 2 minutes. Spoon sauce over chicken and apple slices and serve.

Fish (Serves four):

Nutrition per serving: 249 calories, 2 g total fat, 29 g carbohydrates, 28 g protein, 60 mg cholesterol, 390 mg sodium

Ingredients:
    - 1 pound orange rough or red snapper fillets, fresh or frozen (about 1/2 in. thick)
    - 14 oz reduced sodium chicken broth
    - 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel
    - 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    - 1 pound fresh asparagus spears (trimmed and cut in half)
    - 1 medium yellow sweet/ bell pepper cut into thin, bite-sized strips
    - 4 teaspoons cornstarch
    - 2 teaspoons snipped chives
    - 2 cups couscous or rice

If using frozen fish, thaw. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towel and cut into 4 serving- size pieces. In skillet, combine 1 cup of the broth, the lemon peel, and black pepper-- bring to a boil and reduce heat. Carefully add fish and asparagus. Cover and cook over medium- low heat for 4 minutes. Add pepper strips, cover and cook for about 2 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Using slotted spoon, remove fish and veggies and cover to keep warm. In a small bowl combine remaining broth and the cornstarch and stir into liquid remaining in the skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook 2 minutes more and stir in chives. Place fish over couscous or rice and top with sauce.

Hope one of those recipes helped.
  • kdpooh63
    kdpooh63 Posts: 4 Member
    Split breasts, skin removed covered in mixture of soy sauce, water (enough to dilute the saltiness of the soy sauce) , garlic and onion. Cover with foil, and cook in oven on 350-400 degrees for 1-1/2 hrs. So tender and flavorful! Falls off the bone! Or you could cook it for lestt time if you don't want it falling off the bone. Serve juice over rice, if you like. :smile:
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Pineapple Chicken

2 Chicken Breasts
    2 Carrots, sliced
    1/2 green bell pepper sliced
    5 garlic cloves
    1 tbsp canola oil
    1 can Pineapple Tidbits
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 onion

Cut Chicken into pieces and marinate in pineapple juice. Put oil in frying pan and saute chopped onions and garlic cloves. Toss chicken into frying pan and brown. Add carrots, when cooked add green peppers and pineapple.

221 Cal 24 Carbs 5 Fat 20 Protein
  • BUMP