Garmin Forerunners

2»

Replies

• jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    i went with the 310XT primarily for the 20 hour battery life. I also like that it has real buttons as opposed to that touch bezel which I did not care for.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I also recommend looking at the reviews by dcrainmaker.com (listed by
    ironmanpanda) - they're long and very detailed.

For sure! ^^
  • jenna715
    jenna715 Posts: 201
    I have the garmin 210 and I really love it. It is perfect for running, I haven't figured it out much for bicycling.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I didn't know this technology was available! Where can I start to get just a basic tool that tells me how far I run and how fast? I'm thinking I can afford $50 for starters. I'm just getting back into running, and I can't justify more than that until I stick to this for 6 months, but I'm SURE it will relieve a lot of stress in my runs!

Ya, that would be tough. If used, how abused is the battery.

Might be better to just pre-plan the runs for set distance.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Loved the 305 (despite lack of decent calorie count), all the other features are great, and being able to use in all sports is nice.

I use SportTrack with the imported data to really geek over it.

Now have the 310XT and still love most of the stuff about it. They lost some abilities from the 305 actually, and not sure how it's just coding problems. And a lot on the forums about bad batteries and other items that require a replacement - which Garmin is happy to do on the known issues.
    No problems on mine yet.

The bike cadence/wheel sensor fits both, foot pad, used my original HR sensor which seems less trouble-prone then newer ones.

For the calorie counts, I just took my avgHR data for the workout here, and I knew my VO2max from testing to make it more accurate.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Does anyone have a Garmin? Which model do you have? I've been looking at the 305... They are soooo expensive & I'm wondering if they are worth it. Do you like it? More importantly, do you think it helped your running? (motivation, time, distance, etc)

I have an Edge 500 for cycling, used to have the Edge 305. The 305 was good but the 500 is much much better. Longer battery life and a lot more options.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    I have the FR60.. love it
  • I didn't know this technology was available! Where can I start to get just a basic tool that tells me how far I run and how fast? I'm thinking I can afford $50 for starters. I'm just getting back into running, and I can't justify more than that until I stick to this for 6 months, but I'm SURE it will relieve a lot of stress in my runs!
    If you have a smartphone there are several great apps that use your phone's GPS to map your workout. I have tried several of them and prefer endomondo.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I didn't know this technology was available! Where can I start to get just a basic tool that tells me how far I run and how fast? I'm thinking I can afford $50 for starters. I'm just getting back into running, and I can't justify more than that until I stick to this for 6 months, but I'm SURE it will relieve a lot of stress in my runs!

You can just use Nike+ on an iPod or iPhone if you have it... you have to calibrate the distance though. The Nike+ on my iPod Nano was WAY off for distance. It also gives you an estimate of calories burned for your pace.
    This is so true. I received an iPod touch and the shoe fob for Christmas. I decided to test it out using my new Garmin after I received it. It was so far off that even attempting to recalibrate it at the end of the run didn't work. The actual distance was outside the range the iPod gave me. It probably has something to do with the fact that I run and walk in intervals so my stride changes constantly.
    If you have a smartphone there are several great apps that use your phone's GPS to map your workout. I have tried several of them and prefer endomondo.
    While I love Cardio Trainer for this, the GPS on my phone is not very good because I live in an area with iffy data connections. Because it has me all over the road, it's typically off by a quarter mile or more for every 3 miles I run.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    also endomondo smart phone app for free if you have a smart phone