Fruit - do you eat it??

124»

Replies

• NorthWoodsLee
    NorthWoodsLee Posts: 92 Member
    I love fruit but the sugar (I'm assuming it's the sugar) makes me hungry so these days I limit it to strawberries and blueberries with breakfast. Maybe in a few months I'll try adding back a wider variety of fruits and see how I make out.

Eat some lean protein with the fruit - chicken breast, oatmeal, nonfat plain greek yogurt, etc., and you shouldn't get the sugar burst/crash. I also eat every 3 hours so I'm never too hungry.
  • My question is, what are you eating instead of fruit? If the answer is vegetables, no sweat! If the answer is processed sugars, you may simply have trained your mind and tongue only to respond to the intense sweetness of other sugars and you might try taking a week off from sugar and then tasting a strawberry again. The first time I had a banana after a sugar fast, it was so intense that I almost spat it out.

My friend who is a health coach tells people to eat all the fruit they want - they are chock full of vitamins, fiber, and other good stuff, and for people with major diet issues - i.e. who eat a lot of junk food - substituting sweet fruits such as berries for processed sugars is an outright win.

That said, there are other viewpoints, such as the Crossfit/Paleo diet perspective, that encourage people to limit fructose intake because it's a very simple sugar, difficult for the liver to process, and - to cut out all the scientific mumbo-jumbo - it makes people crave more sugar and gets in the way of appetite control. That's certainly true for me - once I flip the sugar "switch" in my brain, all bets are off for the entire day.

Because there's much more fiber in fruit than, say, cake, it's a lot harder to massively overeat with fruit, but some of the sweeter ones - such as berries - are much easier to go nuts on and you end up eating a lot of sugar. I try to limit my sugar and use fruits as a reward food - post-run banana with peanut butter, anyway? - or a flavor enhancer, like grapes on salad or apples with plain yogurt. Combining them with protein and vegetables is always a smart call.

But if you don't like it, don't sweat it - I doubt any American is in danger of having too little sugar in his/her diet!
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    I love fruit. but i have to keep my sugars way down. i can only have one serving a day, unless it is a double workout day.
  • wow, that's funny, since i joined, I've eaten heaps of fruit. I don't particularly like fruit, so I've been eating strawberries, kiwi fruit and mandarins, staying away from the boring stuff...I don't find it high in calories...
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    I treat fruit like dessert and prioritise berries over others. Berries and cream ... yum.

I subscribe to the historical view that fruit has not always been available all year round so I don't go overboard on it.
  • jvierra
    jvierra Posts: 2 Member
    What have you been doing/eating to lose your weight?
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    i love fruit !! i eat bananas a lot, not really a fan of them anymore because i eat so many, but they are cheap..i have really come to like blueberries a lot more, but i throw them into vanilla yogurt..i LOVE granny smith apples, cherries, all of it really..im sure i could be a vegetarian fairly easy if i didnt have a family that required meat ;)
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    I eat TONS of fruit...some days I'll have yogurt+fruit for breakfast, snack on some more fruit mid-morning, have a fruit salad for lunch, more fruit for an afternoon snack then a big proper dinner (no fruit haha)...that's just in Summer i suppose, because there are soooo many REALLY nice fruits in season. for winter I'll probably switch over to more veggies for my vitamins/minerals/fiber because I can do soups and stuff but for now....fruits!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    I'm vegan so I have to like fruit.

If you aren't that big on eating fruit, consider making smoothies. A homemade smoothie is low on cals (depending on what you put in it, but if you use mostly fruit and water or a light juice you'll be find cal wise). This way you can get 1-2 cups of fruit in and it's delicious. I usually have smoothies for breakfast. I usually add in some soymilk to give them a bump on cals and extra protein and a swig of acai juice.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Every day. Love to dip in yogurt. Some kinds grill sooo nicely. Fruit salad. On cereal. Dried. On road trips. Bananas Foster (hungry girl style) Pears poached in wine. Baked apples with oatmeal crumb. In jello. With cookies. Fresh and plain. In place of dessert. Rescue from the munchies. Blended with ice. Luv luv luv fruit.
  • ceeegeee
    ceeegeee Posts: 18
    I love fruit, but I have found to lose weight I usually only eat it for breakfast and almost never after 3:00. The only time I will have fruit after dinner is if I am out and everyone is eating cakes and cookies. The I will eat a few strawberries. It seems to work for me. I have my fruit everyday, but not too much.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If you aren't eating fruit, then you are missing out! Work it in, even if its just a serving a day. :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I love fruit but the sugar (I'm assuming it's the sugar) makes me hungry so these days I limit it to strawberries and blueberries with breakfast. Maybe in a few months I'll try adding back a wider variety of fruits and see how I make out.

Eat some lean protein with the fruit - chicken breast, oatmeal, nonfat plain greek yogurt, etc., and you shouldn't get the sugar burst/crash. I also eat every 3 hours so I'm never too hungry.

Yogurt and fruit!

:drinker:
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    I am almost positive I have gone "over" on sugar (& fat for that matter) every day since I started logging. It hasn't been a problem. Fruit is fantastic!
  • I LOVE fruit so much. All kinds. And I love trying new fruits. I have limit myself because I could eat it all day and nothing else, but there is still a lot of sugar in fruit so I only eat a few servings a day. I don't find it to be expensive because I know it is good for me and it has a lot of fiber which will make me feel fuller.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Love it! I eat whatever is in season, and in here in the central valley of California, there's a lot of good fresh fruit to be had!

In winter I get oranges, lemons and mandarins from my backyard trees - the BEST!

Fruits I've been eating lately:
    Blueberries
    Melons
    Grapes
    Bartlett pears
    Peaches
    Plums
    Apricots
    Avocados

I grow my own tomatoes in summer, so snack on those all the time.

Looking forward to a new fresh crop of fall apples!!