Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• lydiapassthedonuts
    Options
    @BarneyRubbleMD WOOHOO!!! You are doing awesome!!! Congrats! You don't have much more to go ... You got this!

@happygirlxxx I had a similar relationship with my MIL. Quite awkward. But, you hit the nail on the head ... she gets to see her son. It will mean a lot.

Thursday Truth? Okay ... I am so tired, mentally exhausted. I've been so stressed over family stuff and work stuff that I've put myself in a workout frenzy last week to kinda keep myself busy. But, now that has made me physically tired. lol
    I've always had a hard time finding a balance. I am always going from one extreme to the other. Thank goodness for my husband, he normally sees me running around like a crazy person and reels me back in. Bless him ... :wink:

My dad will be visiting for the holidays and is arriving in a few days. He will be staying about 6 weeks. Yeah, I'm a bit spastic. lol

We will have fun ... :smile:
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... I'm an astrological sign Pisces, having been born around 'The Ides of March' ... and it's my understanding, from reading astrological guides, that we Pisces can be real pizzzers ... in several different ways. One that I have struggled with all my life is how 'thin skinned' I can be ... meaning that I am sensitive, overly self-involved ... meaning that I jump to the conclusion that I am somehow responsible or that something is about or because of something I said or did ... get it? Oh, it also means, I've read, that I have pretty good intuition and am perceptive, and also creative ... so perhaps those last 3 are the cause of the jumping to conclusions thing. :wink: ... And, you ask, why are you sharing this bit of information? .... Well ... it's because this thread has been so very quite ... and while I have stopped by my usual numerous number of times a day I have refrained from posting anything because there is a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that people are staying away ... not because they are busy or not doing well and don't want to own up to it here ... but that something I said offended them and they decided to drop the thread. So ... that's my truth today... I'm a nut!
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 I have to 100% disagree with your thinking that people are quiet because of something you said. There is no way. This time of year is crazy with so much to do and plan for. That is the only reason. I know for me it's been harder to respond to everyone. I just don't have the time, but I do read. It's not always easy to respond individually on posts but I do the best I can with the time I have. Keep posting. We'd miss you if you didn't.

@lydiapassthedonuts I hope your son gets better soon. I can understand how stressful it is not knowing what is wrong. Kudos to you still walking and taking care of you in the face of all the stress.

@BarneyRubbleMD A HUGE congratulations to you!!! What a huge milestone. You are an inspiration!!

@happygirlxxx Your MIL's visit will give you a chance to learn more about her and get to know her better. It is great that she'll get to spend a long visit with her son and hopefully form a great closer bond with you, too, as you both get to know each other better.

Thursday truth is kind of boring. Have just been eating out way more than normal with various holiday parties. I'm not sure if I'll meet my own personal goal of staying at the same weight by the time I get back from vacation on Jan. 2nd as I was before Thanksgiving. I guess we'll see but one thing I know for sure is that there is no way I will gain anywhere even close to what I would if I wasn't doing MFP. I will still consider it a win. Happy Thursday everyone!
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 - yeah, you're a nut. One that we all love!

@BarneyRubbleMD - way to go!!! What a fabulous way to go into the new year!

@happygirlxxx - three weeks, eh? Yeah, long time... But also an opportunity to get to know the woman who nurtured and formed the man you both love. You may not have much in common, but you DO have HIM! Start there and keep trying to find common ground wherever it may show up. Who knows - you may find that you have a brand new friend. Wishing you much luck!

Thursday truth: I'm up about 5lbs. Not happy about it! It's the holiday season and Hermiston is everywhere. Plus, it's cold and dark and I don't feel like going for my daily walks. All excuses, I know. I'm not gaining more, and that's something. Still, I want these 5 lbs off, but don't see it happening till after New Year's. So, between now and then the goal is to not gain more. And on Jan 2, until those 5 lbs are gone, I'm gonna kick some BUTT!
  • happygirlxxx
    happygirlxxx Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 I disagree for sure. I actually think that you represent what this group is about and you keep us together and sane when we start going crazy with our own loosing weight nuttiness :D

@birgitkwood definitively not fun gaining weight and the holiday season doesn't help either; but you have been so dedicated that you will lose them as soon you go back to your routine.

Thanks all for your comments and advise about my MIL. It will definitively be an opportunity to get to know her better ... I am actually the one who suggested for her to come and has organized everything.

Friday Fitness!

I am not exercising as when I was in the US, but step by step getting back to it. I just feel my body is super lazy lately and I use that as excuse not to push me. But, yesterday I did spinning and today I went to my Pilates class.

Also, reducing little by little the food intake ... yesterday I was under my calories and I think today I might as well. Still not at my 1200 calories level that I had before, but trying!

Have a great start of the weekend everyone! :)
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Friday Fitness ... going into that kitchen and making something I have been hankering over for a long time ... my own version of Chicken Noodle Casserole ...
    300 grams roasted chicken breast,
    1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
    2 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    12 ounces broccoli
    12 ounces baby bella brown mushrooms
    1/2 package Gia Russa wide egg noodles
    1 cup shredded Mexican Cheese blend (4-cheeses)

The MFP recipe builder reveals that if this casserole makes 6 servings, then each will be 360 calories and very healthy indeed on the macros and vitamins.

Will let you know if it tastes as good in real life as it tastes in my imagination. Normally, on Friday, I would have fish ... but I roasted the chicken 3 days ago specifically so I could make a chicken casserole of one kind or another ... and this one is that will freeze ok so I won't have to eat it for 6 meals in a row!

@happygirlxxx ... your MIL is a lucky woman ... because you love her son, because you care about his relationship with her, and because you will go out of your way to make her a welcomed guest.

@birgitkwood ... me too, not 5 anymore, but it was so the other day. One of my challenges ends this Monday and as of this morning I am 3 pounds away from goal ... and I was 2 pounds away a month ago! ... Next year ... I'm already setting up my plan for it.

@b_lisieux ... so true, if I weren't working it with MFP I'd still be in the high 270's instead of high 220's today. We just must keep at it ... like @BarneyRubbleMD ... who is such an inspiration!

@lydiapassthedonuts ... hope you son is feeling better, and you too. When my son was about 5 years old he went through a really bad year of failed health and numerous hospitalizations ... thankfully a diagnosis and curative treatments began ... and he grew into health. Hope so for your son too.

@myMFPcronies.... you lift my spirits, you buoy me up, thank you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyEokxi2hWY

Niki
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 Thank you Niki, that's one of my favorite songs. Your casserole sounds really good, too. Since the kitchen and I aren't friends I need everything spelled out for me. Put it together all at once? Add the noodles later? Cook on stove or in oven? How long? It really made me hungry and I would like to make it but as you can see, I need all the help I can get. LOL :smile:
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @bapcarrier ...This is how I put together my casserole ... I bake it in an oblong casserole dish ... one of those glass 9x13 inch models, or close to it.

Break up the broccoli into mouth sized floret sections (not too small or they become over cooked).
    Wipe clean (or rinse and dry) the mushrooms. Slice up or rough chop the mushrooms.
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (ab 180 Centigrade)
    Put a sauce pan with 2 cups of water in it on to boil
    Put a skillet on the stove to warm up. Add the mushrooms to the skillet, and add in a couple tablespoons of water. Cook the mushrooms, stirring occasionally.

When the water in the pot comes to a boil, drop in the broccoli florets and blanch them for a couple of minutes, then lift them out with a slotted spoon and add to the skillet with the mushrooms in it. Set that skillet aside, or turn off the heat and leave it on the burner.

Bring the water in the pot back to a boil and drop in the egg noodles (6 ounces, dry) and let them soften in the cooking water.

Meanwhile, open a can of condensed cream of chicken soup and put it into a bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and stir together, set aside.

When the noodles have softened, but are not yet cooked through, transfer them to the bottom of your casserole dish .. do not discard the water, instead use it to thin out the condensed soup. (I use all of it)

Once the noodles are evenly distributed on the bottom of the casserole dish, cut the roasted chicken breast into bite size cubes and evenly distribute the chicken over the noodles. Next add the broccoli in an even distribution and follow with the cooked mushrooms, again evenly distributing over and around the broccoli and chicken. Pour the thinned chicken soup over the casserole.

Bake the casserole for about 30 to 45 minutes ... until it gets bubbly, then carefully remove it from the oven and sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese evenly over the top. Return to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted ... about 6 - 10 minutes.

Remove the casserole from the oven, score it into 5 or 6 even pieces and serve by scooping it out of the casserole with a large spoon or with a spatula.

Serve with a side of your choice. (Tonight I had cucumber/tomato salad, and followed a little later with an apple for dessert).

Note ... You will notice I did not add any salt to this dish ... that's because the condensed soup has plenty of sodium in it, as do the egg noodles, however, if you are not on a salt restricted diet you may choose to lightly season the water before blanching the florets, and you may also lightly season the mushrooms once they have started to release their liquid. Also ... if you can afford another 30 - 50 calories, you can use 1 to 1-1/2 tablespoon neutral oil or oil and butter to cook the mushrooms instead of using a little water.

If you make it, I hope it comes out to your satisfaction. This is a type of dish that I can very easily overeat on, but find that if I do serve a nice big chop/chop salad with it that I am held well all evening long.
  • bapcarrier
    bapcarrier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the detailed instructions, Niki. I appreciate it. :smiley:
  • ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I haven't been feeling well for the last couple of days and I let it allow my eating to spiral. Today was terrible. I ate almost double my calories. Yicks... good thing tomorrow is a new day! That casserole sounds Delicious @Nikion901
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm out of town this weekend & the next visiting family for the holidays so I'm hoping I can hold my weight loss to just over 100 lbs by 1/3/2018 which is my "1-year diet anniversary" date.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @ckozl81 ... Hi, I totally missed your first post a few days ago ... and wanted to say welcome. Terrible days, thanks to the ever moving-forward clock, are gone once we move past midnight! (or whenever your day starts/ends) ... So it is now in the past and that's where is belongs. Today is a new day, a new opportunity to make ourselves proud.

That casserole ... Just so you know, it does taste very good when freshly made, reheated ... it thickens up and is not as luscious ... that's why I make it very seldom, and because it IS such a comfort food for me, why I immediately portion it out and package away the rest of it ... out of sight, out of mind!~
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    @Nikion901 thanks for the recipe and instructions for the casserole. I have never done one, so I guess this will be included in this weeks menu :) .

@ckozl81 when we are not feeling well we tend to compensate with food .... I know I do!; but as you said, tomorrow is a new day and a new start. I am going day by day and celebrating each to keep me going. You can do this!! Just keep pushing and never give up!

Sunday Sharing!

When it was time to chose what to do with my life when soon graduating high school it was expected of me to go to business school. My parents would have flipped if I chose to do something differently I think. So there I went to a top business school, graduated and went to work in corporate America. Do I regret it? Not really; this path that was sort of chosen gave me tons of opportunities as well ... if I would not have gone to business school, I would not have landed my first job in NY (have in mind that I am not from the US, so for a young foreign girl to be hired in the US and specially NY was a big deal ... it was like living Sex and the City :D ), would not have met my husband, etc etc.

However, now so many years later I think that maybe my path was in something more creative ... I love photography and I actually enjoy cooking. Would I be able to make a living from any of those? I don't know ... but sometimes I think maybe I should go back to school to learn more about them.

Anyway for now, I carry my camera around the city and when at home I experiment cooking and sharing my creations (only if they turn out good ... sometimes even I can't eat them :D ).

All this to say ... keep the recipes coming! You have someone here that will try them out :)

Here a photo I took last night; went to have dinner at a Peruvian restaurant in the Navigli district (which is where the canals of Milano are. This is one of the canals with the Christmas lights and the reflection on the water)

dl450myn7f1k.jpeg

Hope you all are having a great weekend!! Ciao!
  • ckozl81
    ckozl81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @happygirlxxx That picture is beautiful.

I'm still not feeling the best but I did start to reign in my eating yesterday at least a little bit. Due to a divorce my brother swaps kids with his soon-to-be ex-wife 2 States away from us so every two weeks I ride with him. In total the day is a 12-hour drive. It's not the worst but it gets long and we eat on the road all three meals. I try to make healthy choices but sometimes when you're bored healthy choices aren't what you want. I wouldn't change the ride because every other 2 week ride is totally worth seeing my nieces and their faces light up seeing their daddy and me.

I'm ready to rock the coming week. I'm going to start using the treadmill we bought almost 2 years ago more consistently. I was going to wait until after the new year but there is no time like the present.
  • joshuahenderson5099
    Options
    Get after it! Stay strong! The view from the top is always worth it!
  • happygirlxxx
    Options
    @ckozl81 well said!!! you can do it! I am sure online there are training plans you can download to help you get in shape and that gradually increase the intensity and challenge.

And family is all; so even though the situation is not easy; the fact that your brother drives back and forth to see his kids is awesome. that is what they will remember, that even though they could not see him everyday, he was there when it matter. my parents got divorced when i was young and lived in different countries and my dad always made the effort to come see me, call and write ... and that is what I remember the most. is about quality, not quantity!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday Check-in ... I didn't make my challenge goal in the Quarterly challenge group I'm in ... by less than 1 pound.
    Still ... I am down 22 pounds from the start of the first challenge in that group ... and I know that if it weren't for the public accountability of sharing my weekly weights with other people that I would still be the same weight I was on 1/9/17 when that 1st challenge started. There is an annual challenge I'm in also that weighs in on a different day of the week, and it still has 2 weeks to run. ... for that one I bit off more than I can deliver by 50% and if I join it's 2018 version it will be with a much more realistic plan of what I can actually accomplish because ... while it is good to aim high, aiming at the sun when you probably will only reach the moon is self-defeating.
  • b_lisieux
    b_lisieux Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @ckozl81 It is wonderful that you go with your brother every other week. Family trumps food in that scenario. Totally agree with @happygirlxxx that the fact that he drives so far every other week to see his kids is amazing and something they will always remember. He is a good dad!

@pneschich I'm sure no one was laughing at you jogging. No need to feel self conscious. You only need to concern yourself with you and your goal. The mind is the last to lose the weight in spite of what the scale and mirror show. Keep it up, you're doing great.

@Nikion 901 No matter what your challenge results are, you are down 22 lbs from the start of the first challenge...22! No small feat. As for the second, it's easy to want to lose quicker than is probably realistic. No matter what goals you set, the bottom line is you are still losing. Give yourself credit. :wink:

Every year our big extended family does an all day Christmas Walk, as they call it. We pick a country and do research and then have anywhere from 5-9 houses host a course. It's like an all day progressive dinner starting with breakfast and going through dessert. Yesterday was the day. I had no clue how to log it, just put in some high number. It was a fun day but today, back to reality, although tonight we are having dinner at my brother-in-law's house and he is making a fried dish for dinner. I feel doomed but at least will make wise choices today up until that dinner, which is not under my control. All I can do is stay within my range on the days there isn't something going on. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day will not be good calorie wise, followed by a 5 day trip. Oh well, all I can do is my best when I can. :wink: Wishing everyone a good Monday!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @b_lisieux ... I like your 'take it as it comes' attitude. It's an easy-going manner that I have never been able to emulate in myself. For me, even if I had to spend an hour searching the database for foods that sounded like what I ate during that day long Christmas Fest I would have been unable not to do it. Like you say, you can do your best when you can and let the rest go. It's not everyday!