Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    hey ladies, I am so sorry that I have been off the grid… I have been fighting with the city to plow my alley,so tired of not being able to go places because I can’t get out my alley. I tend to isolate and shut down and eat like crap more. It’s been a hell of a winter and at times I’ve been thinking of leaving Minnesota all together but then that brings me stress. I read through all your post and lots of insightful information.
    @JNettie73- Great photos and planters
    @nsk1951- Love seeing your process of working through your weight.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Just checking in.
    I have been sticking to my new routine and it is working out very well for me. I did 60 minutes on my bike today but I am skipping my Gilad workout for now. Today is strength training and focuses on a lot of shoulder exercises. My right shoulder has been tender since the weekend. I am concerned if I do the workout I will make it worse. I am going to make today my "rest" day from Gilad.

As usual I've been in the kitchen working my way through two cookbooks. I am having so much fun experimenting with new recipes and discovering new food combinations that we all like. Tonight we are having leftover from last night - homemade Aloo Gobi and Naan. I wasn't sure how my daughter would like it but she ended up loving it!

@mnwalkingqueen
    So sorry to hear you are not getting plowed out. I live on a dead end in my development. We always are the last to get plowed. During blizzards we always have to wait it out. Sometimes its a day or two before a plow comes. I know how frustrated I get with that, and we don't have those storms very often. I can only imagine how you feel. I am sorry you are going through that.
    I am in love with my planters. I put them in my art/workout room. I look at them every day and smile. They bring me so much joy!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @JNettie73 - great job sticking to your fake routine. I hope your shoulder feels better soon hey, I’m just checking in… I am so happy that it warmed up enough here that the city actually plowed the alley after complaining every day for a week. So weird I could actually leave my house today and I didn’t actually go anywhere because I didn’t have anything to do, I’m so used to having to stay at home lol
    So I’m not sure if anybody else here is into Broadway shows but if the Broadway show Tina comes to your town and you like Tina Turner music it’s a great play. At least in Minnesota it was extremely reasonable. It was less than $50 a ticket. Most places aren’t that cheap, so I’m thinking that most of the actors are not super famous.
    Anyway, onto Fitness information I know I’ve gained weight because my pants are tighter and I’m refusing to step on the scale because I know it will take my mind into a “F” it mode.
    so I just realize that I need to really work on my mind frame or should I say frame of mind. I’m going to be searching my Roku for workout videos to do because pacing from my garage to my front gate is getting really boring. I’m so ready for spring summer and fall.
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,294 Member
    I had a birthday on Friday ... 78.
    My sister and I were talking on the phone and she said "did you ever think we would get this old?" .. she's 4 years ahead of me. I said ... "NO, I remember wishing that I would make it to 75" , like our mom did! That was way back, when I was 282 pounds and our brother had just passed away. He was 'a big man'. And that was the event that was cold water in my face about my own health.
    I am still trying to control my weight and still working on slimming down more. This past year I weighed in higher than I had last year on my birthday so I have a lot of work to do. But you know, somehow the weight loss motivation isn't the primary focus for me as it once was. Now it's more about mobility and social interaction ... I find that I feel more lonesome and alone than I did when I was caring for my own house. That I crave the fellowship of other people more than I once did. I suppose it's because there isn't as much to keep me occupied in a 600 sq ft apartment than had been in my own house and grounds. Plus, it's not as easy for me to get around and get outdoors .. there really is no where around the apartment building to sit outdoors like there had been at my house .. where I would be able to get outside every day even if just to sit on a bench on the porch and get the sunshine on my face ... on the front porch in the morning and on the back porch in the late afternoon. I miss that. ... However ... that is no reason for me to not be more attentive and more willing to push myself to get outdoors here.

I'm thinking about ways I can incorporate more activity and better food choices into my routine ... In the mornings, I have more energy and motivation, but by the time I have had my morning coffee and gotten dressed, I am already pooped and demotivated! ... that's gotta change! I'll keep you posted about how I modify my routine as I get going into it.

• JNettie73
    NSV alert!!! Yesterday's workout is a full body toning one. A lot of lunges combined with weights. One portion of the workout we do push-ups. These have always been really challenging for me. My entire life I have never been able to do one. The first set yesterday I was able to do 6 modified push-ups, the second set I was able to do 10 modified ones. I am so excited. It is an amazing feeling to see how I am progressing.

Over the weekend we went shopping. I treated myself to some ankle weights and new resistance tubes. I used the ankle weights during my bike the other day. It really made a difference. A half hour into my workout I began to get tired!

@nsk1951
    Happy happy birthday!
    That is nice that you were able to talk with your sister. Does she live close to you? Do you get to see her very often? I can understand how mobility and socialization would be your primary focus at the moment. With spring finally here and things starting to warm up I hope you are able to get outdoors a little more frequently and get that sunshine on your face!

@mnwalkingqueen
    I am glad to hear that you were finally plowed! How much longer do you have until you no longer get snow by you? Sorry to hear about the weight gain. I know how frustrating that must be for you. That is a great idea of finding some workouts on Roku.
  • nsk1951
    This sentence caught my eye in the Challenges discussions ...
    "This challenge is 100 days of weighing in daily. This is where we track our fluctuations on a day to day basis to see which foods, activities, & movement make the scale move in the right direction."

I didn't join the challenge online, but decided to weigh in every day again until the end of June. I used to weigh in daily at one time ... actually, it was during that time when I was steadily losing! HAH!

So, did I also give myself a challenge weight loss goal? Yep! 1 pound a week. I will tell here how I'm doing.

@JNettie73 ...That is a good idea; full body workouts and weights. Your post reminded me that I used to do those every day while I made my morning coffee, right after my morning stretches. Somehow I have stopped doing those since moving into my apartment! ... Wow, thanks for the reminder .. I'm gonna get back to it!

@mnwalkingqueen ... I think you can access YouTube via the ROKU and on there you might be able to join the SiverSneakers playlistsl. They have exercise videos that are really great. Heres the link to the one they postes 2 weeks ago for "10-Minute Strength Circuit" ... https://youtu.be/au76Kfi5z3A
  • nsk1951
    It's a good thing I started that 100-day weigh in challenge.
    I'm not posting on the thread but I am keeping up the chart in my personal document on my desktop. My personal week ends on Saturday this year, so there are a few more days to go, however I weighed in for 8 days so far and am close to target for what goals I set for myself. I want to lose 1 lb a week and still need to work on my approach but am close.

Now it's a matter of adjusting my food intake and energy expenditure to come into line so that I have better success.

What I have realized by tracking my meals and my daily weight is that ... when I wasn't doing it, as long as the weight was lower than the last time I'd stepped on the scale I was content and often times was giving myself to the go-ahead to eat with more abandon; because, after all, I HAD lost some ounces! ... GEE-WHIZ, that approach is not a winner!.
  • nsk1951
    Saturday Weigh-In ... I am down 1 pound since last week ... that's talking weekly average weight, not date-to-date for Saturday ... My weight fluctuates every singe day and I have found the thing that keeps me on an 'even keel' is to simply record the daily weights into my spreadsheet log and see what the average weight cell tells me the weight is for that week. ...

... I used to keep a running log when I was a regular on MFP a few years ago. It was really quite a complicated spreadsheet; I think I might still have it in my google-sheets .. it was provided by another poster who had designed it for a challenge group to lose 1 pound a week for the year. ... I was so bummed out that I lost only half of that goal that year ... and told myself 'well, you are ahead .. you lost 26 pounds, not gained, not stayed the same'. ... And I'm still liking that thought ... I'm down some weight ... and let's keep it going.

... Every week in March saw a slight uptick in my weight except this last one, so I am still behind the 8-ball, but I'll get there!. I think the thing that has helped me is a change in my routine ... that thread I wrote about recording my weight every day and the way I have modified it for my own use has really helped. ... I record my daily weight taken that morning, AND the total calories I racked up the day before ... and so I see both important components .. the WHY of the weight number! ...

So .. I hope to continue on my downward trend and logging the weight and calories for the rest of the period .. another 90 days!

• JNettie73
    Just popping in to say hi!

My goals for April
    - Spend more time outdoors
    - Increase my water intake
    - Measure and log all my meals - I have been horrible with this
    - Begin to increase my weights that I use during my workouts
    I have not decided if I am going to start using my ankle weights as well. I will decide about that as the month goes on

It's been a month since I have been doing my Gilad workouts. I am really proud of my progress. I took progress pictures yesterday however last Friday I dropped my phone and broke it. I can still use my phone but I cant see things on the right side of the screen. My new phone comes on Tuesday. I have not set up my comparison pictures yet because I cant see them. LOL I also have not taken my body measurements yet. TOM arrived yesterday and I was feeling a little bloated. I am going to wait until the bloat goes down to take those. I am really curious if there are any changes in my measurements. As far as the scale... we are not friends at the moment. LOL

It's been a few weeks since I have been as compliant as possible with WFPBNO. (Just a reminder WFPBNO is whole food plant based no oil). It's a vegan way of eating but even stricter with no processed foods, I limit salt and sugar usage and do not use any added oil. I get my fats from whole plant-based sources such as nuts, seeds, avocado. I have to say becoming more strict with my diet combined with the new exercise routine has done wonders for me. I feel even better than before. I feel a lot stronger and my energy levels have increase. I've been sleeping better. I am finding things that used to irritate me in the past roll off my back now. I feel happier than I have ever been. (Even with the scale not cooperating with me)

One last point that I have noticed. My blood sugars have been fantastic. I only test once a day, my fasting blood glucose level. It has consistently been anywhere between 100-106 for a few months. Since really focusing on my diet and compliancy my numbers have been ranging from 85-95. This makes me really excited for my next doctor appointment in June. I am really curious what my A1C will be when I get the results of my lab work. Though, I do have to break the news to my doctor that I have not been taking my medication since the end of November.

@nsk1951
    Yes! I know exactly what you mean. I find I start doing well then I give myself a little grace and stop losing all over again. I've been so terrible with weighing out my food and logging it. I know I said it before but I really need to focus on doing that again. When I do I see the best results.

Congrats on joining the new challenge and losing a pound. That is fantastic! I wish you the best with your new challenge!
  • JNettie73
    I ended up emailing the pictures to myself and putting them on my laptop so I can see them. I am blown amazed at my transformation. I don't recognize the person in the first picture any more.

xfpzy4duzohn.jpg
    w74n89pi9xiv.jpg
    njyxpldl0uri.jpg
  • nsk1951
    @JNettie73 ... Isn't amazing how even our posture changes when we are more trim and feeling good! Keep up the good work.
  • JNettie73
    @nsk1951
    Yes! It really is amazing! One of the things I commented on when discussing these pictures with my husband was how my posture has changed.
  • nsk1951
    It's been a while since I went grocery shopping. When I look back on my log I last shopped for groceries a month ago ... but todays fixed that because I shopped not once, but twice! ... And, because I hadn't gone in so long there was a lot of fresh food for the fridge to buy and some things for the pantry and rest of the house. Thank goodness my pantry is well stocked with the necessities of a well balanced plate of food. It also helped that I am working really hard on making my food be satiating instead of 'hanger?" provoking ... you know, those meals that leave you feeling like something is lacking, or that make you want food again within an hour or two ...

Today I commemorate the birth anniversary of my mother, who was born 104 years ago. Today, I am already 3 years older than she had been when she passed away. This has, in the past, been a very hard month for me emotionally because it is the month I also commemorate mom's final unexpected illness and death, plus the end of the lingering death my father finally ended near the end of the month when it was his turn to 'go'. Plus so many other commemorations for other milestone events, births, deaths .. and Easter! ... The most beautiful and saddest week ever! ...

Yep .. It's a good thing I didn't bring any Easter candy into the house. Nor any other sweets or treats! ... Whole foods only and the raw makings of meals that take time to put together. ... That'll keep me busy until the next month rolls around.

Happy Easter to those who believe and celebrate.
  • nsk1951
    Saturday Weigh-In .. I am down 2. 7 pounds this week, average weekly weight) from last week .. and am seeing more data confirm what I really already know; just needed a good reminder ... of how my body responds to the amount and type of food I generally consume.

I don't want to make this be a 'scientific' statistical data collection .. which I am prone towards falling into that type of record keeping ... I really just want to remind myself ...

Beef makes my digestion back up, and so do beans.
    I can treat myself once daily with a garlic clove minced into a 1/2 Tbsp of butter on a piece of bread.
    My metabolism is 500 calories a day lower than the BMR tables tell me I can have .. probably from all the years of yo-yo dieting where I lost a lot and then gained it back. Also because I am old and don't move around much.
    On some days, I am really energized by being UNfed and like the feeling, until I don't. Then I eat ...
    What I eat is as important as how much and when
    I can do this ... as long as I don't let myself have dried fruit or candy, or anything made with added sugar.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    hey everybody, I am just checking in it has been a while. And honestly there’s no real reason. I just became extremely depressed due to the weather that all I wanted to do was sit on my couch and watch TV. But the snow has finally melting. well, at least in my yard it’s all gone. I have been able to go outside in just tennis shoes for the last three days and I’ve went walking 3 miles plus each day with my dog. I am starting to get back to my old self.
    @JNettie73 - I love your progress photos. That is something that I need to do. You look amazing and you’ve been doing such a great job with your goals. High five.
    @nsk1951 - it sounds like you and me have a lot in common when it comes to our diet triggers or should I say food triggers I don’t really use the word diet because I’m not trying to go on a diet I just want to eat healthier. Congratulations on the loss of the weight this week.
  • nsk1951
    I agree with you @mnwalkingqueen ... it is not a 'a diet' in that it is "a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons". It is "The kinds of foods that a person, animal, or community habitually eats"

I try to eat whole food that I prepare myself with very little that has been made elsewhere. There are certain foods that I cannot cook/prepare myself, and those are the ones I buy .. OF course, I have to buy all the foodstuffs I consume, as I am not a farmer ... I am a very urban apartment living old lady who shops at the local supermarket a couple of times a month. ... And every time I do, I have to struggle with myself to keep my hands from putting those foods that trigger me to eat without regard to health and satiety into my cart!! .. Most of the time I do great at that and then maybe get slipped up in my resolve by a treat at the local senior center or our community room activities!
  • nsk1951
    Saturday Weigh-In ..
    I'm in a reflective mood this morning. Going back over all the old charts and logs I've kept since starting this weight-loss journey so long ago. I found a note on the date 12/30/2011 .. "Joined MyfittnessPal" ... and then again on 9/24/2013 ..."Back to MFP logging again" ... and then on 4/13/2018 ,,,"MFP website issues, deleted account. will track another way". .. but now I am back at it and have been back on a few months with little or no success ... but I am still working at it and I will continue to do so. I will NOT give up trying.

Today's report is that my weight is down. 0.06 pounds over last week. ... My goal is 1 pound a week. And yes, I ate too much and also quite a bit of it was the 'wrong food for me'. ... today will be better.
  • JNettie73
    Just popping in to say hi. My sister-in-law came up to visit us for a few days. I tried to stay mindful of what I was eating. We did go out to eat quite often and I ate more than I should have. I can feel that I gained just by the way my clothes are fitting and how I feel. Today I am getting back on track.

I agree with the word diet. For me, it is a lifestyle. It is the way I eat and I will be maintaining for the rest of my life. The same with exercise. I've been on this journey for 2 years. Exercise has become a part of my every day routine. It makes me feel wonderful.

@nsk1951
    Congrats on your loss! I keep charts too. I find it interesting to go back and look at them and see how everything has changed over time.

@mnwalkingqueen
    Thank you. I feel amazing. I highly recommend taking progress pictures. It is one of my favorite tools.
    I am sorry to hear you were feeling depressed. I am glad to hear the snow finally melted and you are able to walk again.

I hope everyone has a great week!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    @nsk1951- I am in the same boat starting and restarting many times since 2011. During that time frame, my lowest to 238 in my highest was a little bit over a year ago at 285. My goal has always been 200. This time around is the first time that after losing 20 or 25 pounds I just stop the process altogether. The things I’ve done different this time around is not give up any of the foods I like to eat. I am down 34 pounds as of Saturday. I know over Christmas I gained about 10 or 15 pounds that I’m still trying to take off but I’m feeling pretty great otherwise.
    @JNettie73- I so agree. After doing the 500 mile Sesame Street challenge last year it seems so weird when I wasn’t walking. I’ve actually in the last year started liking to go outside in the winter as long is the area is plowed and shoveled properly. I found this videos of women who are over 50 doing five different exercises with each exercise for a minute. I’ve been trying to do a different routine every two weeks.
    AFM- so I’m still struggling with eating too much sodium. I had fallen off the good eating habits over my birthday. Lots of burgers, cheese curds, fried mushrooms, Chinese, oh, and we can’t forget an entire small Keylime cheesecake pie from this really awesome chocolate place by my house that’s only a few things that I had during that time. Oh, and I had donuts on my birthday not just one I think three. Yes this is why it’s still taking me forever to lose the 10 pounds. I gained over Christmas. However, I’m being accountable this time around in the past, I would say out loud well I don’t know how that could’ve happened I was eating what I should be eating… This time hell no you know how this happened you ate like crap for two entire weeks
  • LilRock25
    LilRock25 Posts: 61 Member
    Hello everyone!

I just started back up yesterday, doing a lazy "keto". I hate that term. I'm just focusing on staying within my calories but also watching my sugar & carb intake. Those can be binge triggers for me, so best to just stay away.

Ultimately I would like to lose a little over 100 pounds, but realistically and maintainable would be right at 100. I can't look at the big picture all at once, so I'm going to focus on 10 pounds at a time & go from there.

I'm speaking my NS goals into existence to help me stick with them.
    1) no more than 3x alcohol per week (preferably no more than 2x)
    2) 30lbs down by Sept 8th (20 weeks)
    3) walk/cardio at least 2x per week