when to start the toning

2»

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    I am new,
    and i am doing what i DO call "toning" moves,
    and i am already beginning to see some shape changes.

I am not a pedant, so if someone wants to argue, it is not toning anything, fine,
    but, it IS reshaping my body.
    I saw a most fascinating thread last week,
    some gal showed side by side pictures of herself, one at 130 lbs, and she said she had fat rolls, etc,
    and one at 133 lbs, where she looked fit and buff, with a very small waist and flat tummy and smooth back.
    (NOT that she did was toning, my point there is, same person, looked entirely different at same weight)

We can change the shape of ourselves, too.

Toning moves i am doing, to firm up certain areas, include things like leaning to one side, and jabbing my arm over my head to target that area on lower scapular back.
    Or i am grabbing onto a bedpost or barstool, and leaning forward, so my upper body is about parallel to the floor,
    and extending my legs back up behind me, and twisting around, and swinging my leg back and forth,
    til i feel that lower abdomen spot pull a bit, til i find the position that pulls along the side of my waist.

Or i stand, with my arms up high, and lean back, to pull on my abdominal muscles, to help them begin to get firmer.

*this* is the kind of moves i call "toning" moves. some of the things i am doing, remind me of some of the "Pilates" types of moves.
    I am beginning to change shape already, i can already spot some improvements from this, way more than the mere 5 lbs i have lost would show.

these things are helping to reshape me. This will help my self esteem, too, as i go along. I have to feel hope to keep going.

stuff like that. I have a heart valve problem, which limits my cardio right now to mostly walking,
    but, hopefully, i will improve as i go along!
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY!!
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    When: 15 minutes ago - Seriously, 2 days/week.
    How: Major muscle groups (bench press, leg raises, leg curls, lat pulldowns, tricep press, overhead press, arm curls, squats, situps and pushups), low weight high reps. Start with a very low weight to prevent soreness and just make strength training a habit. Start with 3 sets of 8 reps and add one rep/set/week until you get to 3 stes of 12 reps. Then, add a small amount of weight and go back to 3 sets of 8. Keep ratcheting up until you feel satisfied that you are seeing the tone that you want, and feel that you are getting a vigerous work out. :wink: