Menopause and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I have been on Estradial since around age 45.(cervical pre cancer hyst. age 31 brought on early menopause) I am 60 and still take it because it has virtually eliminated my migraines.I do not use menopause as an excuse to gain weight. Eat less and exercise more you will lose.Good luck!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 54 and in perimenopause. After being able to maintain a healthy weight all my adult life through healthy eating and exercise I began to pack 'blubber' (ewww) around my mid-section about 2 years ago and noticed my all around appearance was getting doughy-er. It was very frustrating because I've always been such a stickler for a healthy lifestyle and working out!! Here are some changes I made that helped me lose weigh and improve my overall appearance -

1 - EAT MORE TO WEIGH LESS - it's true, it works! I've upped my calories to 1500 - 1700, somedays reaching 1800. Eating at 1200 (give or take a few) causes the body to plateau, metabolism becomes sluggish, weight loss stalls. Eat more!!

2 - LIFT WEIGHTS/ STRENGTH TRAIN/ CALISTHENICS - like most women I was stuck on the perpetual treadmill!! Too too much cardio in an effort to lose weight. Strength training helps maintain lean muscle mass which ladies you want LEAN MUSCLE MASS!!! Muscles burn calories and rev up the metabolism. Ditch the 2 and 5 pounders and Pick up something heavy!! Recommended read - NEW RULES OF LIFTING FOR WOMEN

3 - PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN - I took a good look at my diet and realized I was sadly lacking in protein. Now I shoot for 100g a day. You need protein to help fuel your muscles and workouts!!!

4 - CHEAT DAYS - I was guilty of over indulging on weekends. Now I do a 'cheat meal' and try my best to not go over 1800. Staying consistent in your calorie range will get you results

So this can be done!!! Best of luck everyone! Feel free to friend me :flowerforyou:

What she said! I have been taking a daily supplement of DHEA of 50mg, and that is helping with the mood swings, hot flashes, not so much. I can't wait for fall to get here!

There aren't many studies on DHEA for women, and the studies that do exist were conducted on college men. I've been feeling pretty good since I started it, and there are zero side effects. It is available without a prescription in the US.
  • nogueira22
    Options
    HI, I posted in August regarding wt loss, perimenopausal symptoms. I am following a version and I mean version of the paleo diet. Have been doing this since May. Just had repeat labwork and results were phenomenal! HDL went from 54 to 80 and Trig are at 54! I have lost 16#, feel great most of the time, am sleeping better, hot flashes minimal and energy is great! I now have a WAIST again. Hope I can continue to lose about 10 more pounds slowly. This way of eating is fantastic and has made a huge improvement in the quality of my life! Dont' give up hope girls!
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FlakaJP
    Options
    I had a rough go with periomenopause as well. Luckily, the hot flashes stopped ad I'm feeling almost normal again. Of course, trying to shed some of the extra weight I gained too. I'm looking forward to all the support on MFP, they sound wonderful. Feel free to add me as a friend....all who is going through this or has gone through it.....
  • SoCalWoman
    SoCalWoman Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • 02tods
    02tods Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I'm going to try the suggestion of vitamin E, so thanks to the lady who posted about that. :drinker:

Definitely weight gain around the middle...I am 49 and have some 'complications' regarding hormones. Specifically, I'm on tamoxifen, which is an anti estrogen, if you can imagine!! Also on effexor and synthroid, so challenging is right!!

Low carb is definitely good. I also really watch my pastas, breads, rices, potato, corn, etc. Anything starchy, beware. I never eat 'white' anything, always brown. I will have 2 slices of brown bread daily, but only rice, corn, pasta, or potato once a week. That seems to make a huge difference. I also try and go for the lower carb fruits.

Does anyone eat fish often? I know I don't as it's so expensive, but I take omega 3 supplements daily to help offset that. I don't do the omega 3-6 or 3-6-9 because I understand we get more than our share of the 6's and 9's through diet, vegetable oil, etc.

But alas...I've stalled out on my progress and only have 10 lbs to go...go figure! :sad:

Ooops, make that 11 lbs...