Strength Training

13»

Replies

• thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    No. Lifting will make you bulky.

Yes, this is so true. I never lift anything heavier than my nail file and lipstick case. :tongue:

damn. I never wear lipstick. What can I lift that will not be too heavy? I keep shifting bags of sand around at work but I am petrified my muscles will break out of my shirts and I'll turn green!!!!

Oh yes, you need to stop doing all that icky "work"! Might I suggest a paper fan and a fainting couch? You don't want to over-exert yourself or you might turn into a man. Think about it....
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Yes, I strength train. At first it was for variety from my cardio workouts, but then I realized that I want to preserve muscle, preserve (or increase) my metabolism, strengthen my bones, and get stronger for everyday life, and then as bonuses, I'm experiencing increased confidence, stress reduction, and more energy. :happy:

And when I am pissed off, I can take out my agression better with weights than cardio. Oh yeah, and I get to eat more.
  • thistimeismytime

I'm sorry I forgot my smiley face.

:tongue:

I thought it was implied. :drinker:

Edited because I can't spell IT correctly...:blushing:
  • thistimeismytime
    I am going to follow this thread. I want to start strength training. but don't know where to begin. :sad:

Ditto! after reading the initial post I am going to start strength training. where to begin?
    I definitely would love to have a toned physique :)

Buy the book New Rules of Lifting for Women, and just dive in. The only thing harder than getting started is STOPPING! :laugh:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    This might sound a bit odd but I strength train...

to get stronger.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    I am going to follow this thread. I want to start strength training. but don't know where to begin. :sad:

I started by reading New Rules of Lifting for Women, which has a dedicated group here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

I was a complete newbie to weight training, and I have fallen in love with this program!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Yes, I do strength training because I understand that it is beneficial to burning fat and maintaining lean body mass while losing weight. I love it!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Yes, I love lifting! I do it because I look better and feel better when I lift and do cardio vs. just doing cardio. The inches drop off faster, I'm stronger, leaner and tons more confident.
  • EmpressHollie
    EmpressHollie Posts: 25 Member
    i strenght train 6 days a week, different muscle groups each day of course along with cardio, and work in abs 3 of those days. i agree cardio alone is pretty boring the lifting makes me feel strong!
  • sweetsoonergirl
    sweetsoonergirl Posts: 16 Member
    I definitely strength train because I want to tone up and see more definition.
  • It is NOT true that strength training will make you bulky. Do NOT believe that. Weight training builds strong muscles so your body burns fat rather than muscle for fuel.
  • Strength training mixed with cardio is the way to go. Testosterone is what makes me bulk up. That is the reason woman aren't normally affected the same way as men. However, it is important not to be surprised if at first the scales don't move or go up a little. Muscle is denser than fat and I was really depressed until my trainer did my measurements that showed there was a huge differene in the way my body was dispersing the weight.

You'll look better and feel better. It will show up in the mirror.
  • thistimeismytime
    Studies show that those who solely dieted lost 25% of their weight from muscle! They lost definition AND decreased their metabolism – kinda goes against the whole weight loss goal doesn’t it?

Do you strength train? Why or why not?

OP, do you have a link to this study? I think that would be a fascinating read!
  • Southernsass6885
    Southernsass6885 Posts: 100 Member
    Absolutely! I'm doing this, not just to be skinny, but to be strong. I want to feel amazing, not just look it. Yes, the pounds may come off slower, BUT the inches come off, too. I feel great and I couldn't be happier.
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member

Seriously dude? :wink:

For you yes - you've got testosterone. For women - you gotta do some pretty extreme lifting and diet modifications to get that bulk.

I think he was just joking. Being sarcastic if you will.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Yes. Because the job of a Comic Book Super Hero requires strength and agility. *Well, big boobs and ability to run and do parkour in 6" stilettos is also a job requirement.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member

1) It makes me look better naked
    2) I am a badass and should be able to lift like one-- trying to increase my overall strength
    3) It increases metabolism and all of the other awesome stuff that studies have shown

:drinker:

What she said.
  • melcowenfitness
    melcowenfitness Posts: 221 Member
    Thank you to everyone who has responded to my post! You all have made my day!!! Not just because of the number of you who took the time to post something but also because of the humor many of you have.

I needed a good laugh today and many of you brought that! :happy: