For Those Who Believe in Heaven...

Replies

• mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    For the sake of full disclosure, my perspective comes from the Christian Bible and I believe it.
    Do you believe that all of your relatives and loved ones that have passed are there watching over you?
    No. I believe they are otherwise engaged in the business of heaven. They are with the Jesus Christ. He is a lot more compelling and impressive than me.
    And if they are, are they ALWAYS watching you? Like, do they "come down" and are "with" you at all times... guiding you throughout your day and throughout your life?

Should it suit Christ's will and purpose, then yes they can come down for his business. Samuel came back to chastise Saul. Elijah and Moses stood with Christ at the transfiguration account.
    And if they do... are you the only one they watch over? Or do they have a full dance card and must "schedule" time with you?
    Watching over you is really the role of the God who is omnipresent. His calendar is always open. That he takes an interest in any of us is amazing to me.
    Or... do they just watch... like on television? Do they have several channels that they "subscribe to" to keep tabs on their living folks? And what if it's for someone that wasn't family or a close friend... just someone they had a crush on or just really liked... or maybe someone you just know is gonna be drama, so they'll always have interesting stuff going on... would that be a "premium" channel that they would have to request permission to have? You think, even in heaven, they're flipping through channels thinking, "All these channels and there's never anything interesting to watch..."
    I don't know regarding this. Honestly, I don't imagine that they would even care. In the context of eternity and God's kingdom, it is of no significance. The focus is on the king of the kingdom.

There are many viewpoints. If you have more questions regarding this one, feel free to message me.

with you for sure on this
  • I think they got Dish up there, with the expanded pack. Since they know all languages and have all abilities and everything is perfect and you can literally do whatever you want I am absolutely sure they'd be tuning in to you fixing dinner and folding clothes.

That is, if "God" is of the Abrahamic tradition and not Ancient Aliens who pioneered our species thru genetic manipulation with their own DNA.

Word.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    I kind of like the concept of Dias De Muertos, where you get to hang with your deceased relatives once a year and they can catch up with the family at the cemetery.

But I'm kind of hoping for the void, personally.
  • LOL! This made me smile because I think we all wonder stuff like this...... but then I have remind myself that it's not for us to know right now so why try and figure it out. I never believed in anything after death until my dad died. Even though I was raised Catholic, I am just an extremely science-minded person and was trying to be rational.... person dies......person dies. Period. As a college honors student I did a research paper on near death experiences and life after death, and it was mostly focused on the idea that many doctors believe the "white light" and seeing of a person's long lost loved one at the time of their death was really a defense mechanism used by the brain to help ease the process of death. ---But after losing my dad as a young adult, I couldn't deal with the idea that he was gone and that's all there was to it. I have had many people tell me that they know their loved one is still there with them and they have given me many reasons why.... maybe this is also a defense mechanism we use to help us deal with the process of our loved one's death, I don't know. Personally I feel like my dad is checking in on me from time to time, but that he's just way too busy enjoying himself wherever he is that he doesn't obsess about my life and he knows he'll see me again when it's my time. None of us want our loves ones checking in on us all the time, I mean we all have naughty moments we don't want caught on film..... right???!!!! I recently read a book called "It Rains in February" by Leila Summers........... and the end was quite touching as to why she believed her husband's spirit was still there with her and her two girls after he committed suicide. You might want to read it, it was an eye opener to depression & co-dependency, neither of which I've ever dealt with. ANY-WHO........... my conclusion I think is right about where I started.... this stuff is not for us to know at this time. We are all here to prove ourselves in one way or another, and it will all become clear in the end. Literally. :noway:
  • I feel your pain. I lost my Nan (who brought me up) last year. She was 93 and I was 36. Pretty old to loose a grandparent but young to loose a mother figure. I am totally lost without her. I too am trying to get my life in order so that I am around for my 5 and 8 year old children for as long as possible but with this level of grief, it's hard. Stupidly, I thought it would get better after a year but it hasn't.

My Nan and I had an agreement that when she died, she would send me white feathers to show me she is ok. I have had loads of white feathers in the strangest of places at the most desperate of times so I do believe they are watching us when we need them to. :cry
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    For the sake of full disclosure, my perspective comes from the Christian Bible and I believe it.
    Do you believe that all of your relatives and loved ones that have passed are there watching over you?
    No. I believe they are otherwise engaged in the business of heaven. They are with the Jesus Christ. He is a lot more compelling and impressive than me.
    And if they are, are they ALWAYS watching you? Like, do they "come down" and are "with" you at all times... guiding you throughout your day and throughout your life?
    Should it suit Christ's will and purpose, then yes they can come down for his business. Samuel came back to chastise Saul. Elijah and Moses stood with Christ at the transfiguration account.
    And if they do... are you the only one they watch over? Or do they have a full dance card and must "schedule" time with you?
    Watching over you is really the role of the God who is omnipresent. His calendar is always open. That he takes an interest in any of us is amazing to me.
    Or... do they just watch... like on television? Do they have several channels that they "subscribe to" to keep tabs on their living folks? And what if it's for someone that wasn't family or a close friend... just someone they had a crush on or just really liked... or maybe someone you just know is gonna be drama, so they'll always have interesting stuff going on... would that be a "premium" channel that they would have to request permission to have? You think, even in heaven, they're flipping through channels thinking, "All these channels and there's never anything interesting to watch..."
    I don't know regarding this. Honestly, I don't imagine that they would even care. In the context of eternity and God's kingdom, it is of no significance. The focus is on the king of the kingdom.

There are many viewpoints. If you have more questions regarding this one, feel free to message me.

Completely agree; couldn't have said it better, myself. :)

ETA: One of the most thought-provoking books on heaven I've found: Heaven, by Randy Alcorn
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    ... I find it really hard to find some people are for reals, sometimes. But I think this may be a UK vs USA thing again.

On topic... OP, I reckon they have full blown cable, and I'm pretty damn sure my granddad is too busy watching the best nature documentary marathons EVER MADE to bother with seeing what I'm up to. Though when I was younger, I constantly used to freak myself out with the thought that dead people could see me when I was getting dressed or on the bog or in the bath. Then again, I used to think the people in the TV could see me too.
  • ... I find it really hard to find some people are for reals, sometimes. But I think this may be a UK vs USA thing again.

On topic... OP, I reckon they have full blown cable, and I'm pretty damn sure my granddad is too busy watching the best nature documentary marathons EVER MADE to bother with seeing what I'm up to. Though when I was younger, I constantly used to freak myself out with the thought that dead people could see me when I was getting dressed or on the bog or in the bath. Then again, I used to think the people in the TV could see me too.

You mean, they can't?...

Sounds like a new thread topic!

<edit... thread, not threat>
  • cole_carter
    cole_carter Posts: 174 Member
    This is somewhat of a "Touchy thread". It could provide for a humorous response but it also could touch on someones serious religious beliefs. For me, I try not to let religion drift into a discussion in an open forum.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member

Thank you so much. You said what I wish I had been able to, but didn't really know if I could even get started. Crystal clear for me, though I am sure it won't please everyone.
  • PS2CR
    I don't think they watch us. They're in heaven, after all. They're with God in a place of no pain or suffering. I just see them worshiping God and experiencing what real love/joy/peace ect. is really like.

This ^^^
    If the ones who are in heaven looked down, I believe there would be lots of tears...don't you think. The Bible says that in heaven there are no tears, no sadness. That would be impossible if those that are there seen what was happening down here.

Just a thought...in my Bible it says He will "wipe away their tears." Which means there could be tears (possibly caused by knowing what's going on down here)...or it could just be a euphemism for being happy.

It's amazing how many details we don't really know...but good to consider, anyhow. And it's ironic and fitting that the only thing God specifically does tell us about heaven (if you believe in the God of the Hebrew OT and Christian NT) is all about Him--our acceptance by Him, our worship of Him, and our complete joy in that.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    There is so much more to the Bible than just the Old Testament. There is also the New Testament. I think it's too bad when people get fixated on certain things taken out of the Old Testament without studying and reading the whole Bible. I don't understand everything that happened in the Bible either but I do know that God sent His only Son to die on a cross for me. Jesus, who never sinned, left Heaven to come into this world and died an agonizing death as payment for my sins so if I give my life to Him I can end up in Heaven with Him. Trying to live by His rules is a small price for me to pay for what He did for me.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of ridicule for my post but I don't care. I'm secure in the knowledge of where I will spend eternity and who I'll spend it with. I just wish everyone had that same assurance.

No ridicule from my little corner of the world, just respect and support.
    Me too hun :flowerforyou:
  • PS2CR
    I believe in dinosaurs, evolution, and free speech.
    I do, too (along with thousands of other Christians). A belief in heaven and in the God of the Bible is not incompatible with those beliefs, regardless of what media hype might tell you.

If interested, here's a view most closely aligning with my own:
    Pun, Pattle P. 2007. Integration and Confrontation of Contemporary Worldviews: Evolution and Intelligent Design. Perspectives in Science and Christian Faith, (June) 59(2): 102-109.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    this is one of the reasons i just can't believe in heaven/ spirits/ guides/ traditional "god" figures. i refuse to believe that my grandma could watch me take a **** if she wanted to... or thats some creepy pervert could watch me have sex. its just so wrong. like i believe in the possibility of all things, but i had to stop watching medium because it made my paranoia issues worse. im already worried about people watching me. if i start believing in this stuff i wont be able to sleep at night. yes, i know how messed up that is. but i have parania and anxiety issues. i can't help it. im not always thinking about it, but its an annoying thought in the back of my mind.

ps: please don't come after me for speaking my mind a little. i dont want to get in the middle of a controvercy/argument in the forums. i respect others beliefs. this is just how i feel.

I totally relate to anxiety & not being able to sleep - I think too much...about everything & nothing!! But just wanted to share with you, my big brother committed suicide a number of years ago & although I had been raised a Catholic I found myself questioning everything I believed in. Like "God if you are real, SHOW me!!!" I quickly discovered that a cry like this is irresistible to God & I can now say with conviction that I know God is real & that Heaven exists & that my brother is there. He is not watching my every move but I know that he prays for me & I often have a sense his presence when I feel the presence of Jesus as I pray - everyone is united in Heaven, one big happy family!! God is all about relationships (He IS relationship - Father, Son & Holy Spirit) I do go to church, but church does not make you believe in God - if you are questioning His existence, I dare you to ask him yourself if He's real.
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 647 Member
    No one really knows if our loved one are in heaven. If they can see us and watch us and protect us. It would be awesome to think that they are and they do. Some of these posts are completely beautiful, completely awesome. But, I believe purely and simply that we only know what God wants us to know. He doesn't want us to know everything, just enough. The rest is based on our belief that Jesus Christ is His only begotten Son who died for us on Calvary, and our Faith. - And it is that Faith that keeps us going. That belief in something you can not see, until God is ready for you to see!
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member

Completely agree; couldn't have said it better, myself. :)

ETA: One of the most thought-provoking books on heaven I've found: Heaven, by Randy Alcorn

Yes! I started reading that book and it was so interesting. I don't know why I didn't finish it. I'll have to finish it or maybe start from the beginning again and read it all the way through.
  • Laura_Suzie
    Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
    I believe my loved ones who have passed on come down and visit me because I've felt them. I believe they can come and go as they please.

I have also found when important holidays and birthdays happen "visits" become a lot more frequent.

I also know spirits like coming to people in my family through dreams. In my experience, it is a lot less shocking if a relative contacts you through a dreams rather than appearing to you while you are awake.
  • Next Thread Topic Title:

For Those Who Do Not Believe in Heaven...

Any thoughts a snarky, innocuous, decidedly non-religious question to ask?

No?

*tap-tap* Is this thing on?
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,066 Member
    If there's a heaven where my wonderful grandmother knows the heinous things I do with and to my penis every day, I do NOT want to be there.
  • ShyFeather
    ShyFeather Posts: 138 Member
    *pops a 100 calorie bag of popcorn*
    *sits back and watches*