WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Replies

• janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    I'm off to spend the day at the VA Hospital with my father. They're going to begin extracting his few remaining teeth -- they might do all of them, depending upon how he tolerates it. I have really mixed feelings about allowing them to do this. His few teeth are loose and apparently have the real possibility of becoming infected, but they are telling me that it will take up to a year to get him false teeth through the VA. This means that my 83 year old, 260 lb., in-poor-health father will be eating baby food for the next year -- he's going to be miserable. The doctors insist that it's necessary, but I feel like I'm taking him to be tortured.

I'm trying to talk him into paying to have dentures made outside of the VA, so that it won't be so long. He can afford them, but was a depression era child and hates to spend money. I'm struck each time I go to the VA by how understaffed they are. It seems like we could do a little better in funding the necessary care for our disabled veterans. In his 20's, my father was an Air Force pilot. He was drug by a parachute in training across a rocky field and had his spine torn up -- spent an entire year in the hospital. He went on to become an engineer, and never complained about the pain and disability. Now he can't get teeth in a timely manner!

Thank you for letting me vent. Wish us luck!
  • fgirl49
    fgirl49 Posts: 7 Member
    Hello Ladies,

I was so excited when I found this topic with women that are my "centruy sisters":flowerforyou:

I am 52 years old and have been struggling with my weight since the age of 14. I come from several generations of women that have had weight issues. Both my mother and grandmother struggeled with their weight, they were both members of TOPS (Take of Pounds Sensibly) and were both crowned TOPS Queen for having the most weight loss in a year. My first weight loss club was the Teen TOPS club at the age of 14. I have lost over 100 pounds twice in my life and am now at the point where I again am in need of losing 100 pounds. I am the YO YO Queen.

I discovered my fitness pal this summer and love it. It is extremely helpful for me to log my food and exercise intake but I was also looking for some moral support from women that truely know how I feel and the struggles I have. If you all are accepting, I would love to particpate in the Women ages 50+.

Making a difference one step at a time.

Vanessa
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Sunny Thursday morning, Apple Day! Going to a friend's place later this morning to pick a few boxes of apples. I've been doing a little research to get ideas of how to preserve them other than making applesauce since I've already canned several jars of unsweetened. I'll dry some, plus I'll try canning some jars of plain, sliced apples in water with a little lemon juice, and make a batch of apple/raspberry preserves. The fall-bearing raspberries are really producing nicely, I must say it's quite different having them to harvest this time of year. :love: In the past I had the June-July bearing type. Anyway, that's the fruity news.

It's been a personal challenge over the last 2 years, learning how to control my intake of things like bread, chips, cheese and nuts. I've simply had to learn how to take out my portion and put the rest away, sometimes even hiding it under a dish towel so it's completely out of sight. :laugh: Hubby eats sandwiches and chips for lunches regularly, so those two things will no doubt always be in my house,

I remember buying a bag of walnuts at Costco when I first started with MFP, and being scared to death to even open the package for fear of not being able to control myself. But I was bound and determined to get over it, and I think I've finally got it mastered. Once I looked at the amount of calories, :noway: I realized nuts were dangerous territory, but I wanted to include walnuts regularly for their high levels of Omega-3s. I'm happy to say I've overcome the fear, and now I eat walnuts almost daily with morning yogurt and fruit. It's become sort of a ritual, pulling the bag out of the fridge, opening it up and counting out my 10-12 halves, zipping the bag up and saying farewell to them until the next morning. Oh, yes, I see them every time I open the fridge, but very rarely do I go in for an extra nibble.

Oh dear, I just glanced at the clock. Must get a move on here! Happy day everyone, be good, treat yourselves well, and keep a smile on your face no matter what. :flowerforyou:

:smile: jb
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Oh dear...I was supposed to be writing anecdotal report cards, but instead I enjoyed catching up on the posts here...I'm wondering how Barbie's wonderful quotation about trading what you want most for what you want at the moment applies here...:laugh: I'm about to post it on my classroom wall.

Megblair: what a great job you have! (I thought I was kind of odd for enjoying question writing and devising tasks to best measure my students' progress. Glad to know there are more of us out there!)

Nancy: that is a Gordon Lightfoot lyric--great song, great artist!

My daughter told me this morning that I look like I've lost weight 'from the back' but not from the front or the side...I wonder if it's just my posture, because I'm feeling so good about adjusting to a healthier lifestyle this past month that I know I'm standing taller! But perhaps I'd better include some 'before' shots from the back to help me chart my progress.

All the best to each of you today! :flowerforyou:
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    I'd love to join this group. I kept my great granddaughter today, was planning to take her to the park. Took forever to get her dressed and then got to the car and my grandson and forgotten to put the carseat in. She was disappointed. I vasillated between the park and McDonalds, but knew I wouldnt stay on track at MCD's. At least I thought I can eat right. Went to get my lunch from the frig and my hubby had eaten my lunch for breakfast. It was a baked sweet potato, so I couldnt very well cook another for lunch.

I did find something suitable to replace the yam, but today I am feeling just sort of out of sorts. I feel like I want a nap.

Katrena
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Good Afternoon all, I just finished lunch and am letting it settle. I was out and about yesterday after my swim, I was at the mall, I went to the apple store and while I was walking there I looked at myself in the windows, I'm a little less Humpty dumpty looking. I felt kind of good after that. The stomach is going down.

Carolyn- No I am the strange cat lady, I have 3 indoor cats and 11 outdoor (feral colony) cats. I bought a 20x20 covered deck a few years ago and those outdoor cats love using it. They have a nice cedar cat (dog) house for the winter and two bins with doors cut into them and I buy the $5 blankets to go into them every year to help keep them warm.

Amanda- Hope you feel better soon.

jb- I know what you mean about nuts. I love them, but now I eat only a few at a time.

Tonight is Zumba night, I really like it, and sweat loads. BBL

Tigress
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,356 Member
    Just dropping by!! Hello gorgeous ladies.........

The 3D mammogram is supposedly no different than a regular one as far as the SQUISH factor is concerned. I don't know why but I had a different technician this year and it really wasn't too bad. And I'm the one who usually takes multiple Tylenol to survive. It really was ok. Now I just want an *all clear* in the mail in the next week or so. :happy:

A trip to Trader Joe's was expensive this morning due to my lack of willpower. I got several types of snacking almonds---Marcone (?) and cinnamon/sugar coated. I came home and had a half serving of each. Wow, they were both great and really filled me up. I don't have a problem with eating more nuts than I should have for a portion so I have some type every couple of days---pistachios, almonds, walnuts, as well as pepitas and sunflower seeds. Most of the varieties I purchase are not salted so no worries on sodium. :wink:

Also sent in a request for an absentee ballot. Since I'm running back and forth for my dad I decided to get a ballot. A few years ago I missed my opportunity to vote due to a last minute trip on election day. Apparently I'm going to have to go back to my prior routine. I would drive home from his locality and would stop at the gas station before going home to fill up the tank again, I kept a half packed bag in my closet, a bottle of water in the car and several protein bars. It all came in handy. I renewed on-star yesterday and will renew my minutes plan with them next month. I have all his ID & Medical paperwork in a grab and go briefcase. Neck pillow and hoodie in the back seat of the car.

If anyone has any other *be prepared* suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Back to it! Wishing everyone well. :heart: :heart:

Virtual hugs as well.

Lin
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Hi to all my friends! I am working away here trying to get a lot accomplished. I’m leaving at 2:30 to go see dad then grocery shop (trip 1) at Walmart. I seem to have lost steam (oooh that rhymes!) so I thought I’d pop in here while eating lunch to see what you all have been doing. Tonight is game night at home; I think it’s my turn to pick. Not sure yet what I am in the mood for. It’s a nice fall-ish day here, a little cloudy. I sure wish we’d get some rain though. Tomorrow is weigh in day and I’m psyched! :glasses:

Lin: will keep my fingers crossed for a good mammo result :flowerforyou:

Anj: Congratulations on your anniversary! These days that is really something! :flowerforyou:

Lentigogirl: so you will be the one to start each new thread at the turn of the century…haven’t seen how old Barbie will be! :bigsmile: LOL

Glenda: sounds like you had a busy and productive day!

DebA: wow you’ll be the oldest so far. I bet Lenti gives you the job of starting threads in the upcoming millennium! :bigsmile:

Tigress: good for you on keeping at it. You’re doing a great job!

Cathy: great lesson!!! I too like to splurge after fasting…usually for me it’s McDonalds sausage egg mcmuffin! Not healthy but less than 500 cals, so I can work it in!

Janie: when you rinse your beans can you choose that option on the food tracker? Otherwise, how do you adjust the sodium?

Jen: you are doing mom a favor by letting her do what she can for herself. My brother always wants to jump in when dad is struggling or taking too long to do something and I keep telling him to quit…let him get it.

Kathy: good for you to get up and walk! Sorry the job is changing… at least you will still have your 5 weeks.

Barbie: how wonderful to be wearing such a small size shirt! I’m glad the performance went well. You’ll have to take the virtual age test to see if you will grow old, older, oldest with us here on the thread! :laugh:

Wessecg: Bread and butter….oh yeah!

Hi Pam and welcome. We ARE a great bunch!~ I am an “old” ED nurse and did 19 years in level 1 trauma centers. Now I teach nursing. Looking forward to hearing more about you.

Liz: I wouldn’t have the patience to deal with your clients, so bless your heart for working with them! Everyone needs a mentor and helper. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: That is a long day even for me!

Lila: keep that decluttering going!

Eileen: now has the thread wand for the new millennium! 103! Wow

Kate: om goodness! What can you do that’s healthy to relieve your stress? I would hate that atmosphere of people fighting! Do you have a punching bag LOL

Cheran: welcome!

Linda: it IS hard to find time to care for yourself, isn’t it? Let us know how your appointment goes. I’ve usually worked in academic settings, so all the physicians were employees and had a boss. If push came to shove, you just went over their heads. Now with magnet status, it’s easier to get the docs on board with being part of a team. But I have had my share of run-ins. Actually I don’t want to work this much…I feel like I am missing out on life. But this is setting me up for retirement. I heard that if you cook rice use twice the water and drain the excess and the arsenic will not be a problem.

Amanda: your grandtwins sound adorable!
    '
    DeeDee: great job on your weight loss!

Carolyn: since I am not the course coordinator, I didn’t really “dress her down” (LOL get it :laugh: ), but she has asked me to mentor her in the past so I just said that when you are with students you have to dress appropriately, either a clinical uniform or business clothing and if you don’t, you will get talked to and it will appear on your evaluation. She really wants a full time job here so hopefully she will listen, but she has worked here off and on for years and never changes.

Nancy: wow good for you to get those girls moving!

Laura: yay on the great body changes!

Janehadji: WHAT!!!!!!! A year for dentures??? That is unacceptable! :angry: I would call your congressperson (you live in the US?) and complain. There is also a department of veterans affairs in Washington you can call. Of course if the newspaper got wind of that story, I bet the VA would cough up some dentures right away. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm With all the bad press about how vets are treated, I can’t believe they would actually tell you it would take a year. I would be so upset (can you tell?). My dad’s a vet and I would have a cow if he had to eat mush for a year. Does he happen to have Tri Care for Life? If he does, they have a patient ombudsman who might be able to help you too. OOOH sorry I kind of got carried away. I just get really angry when I hear of vets being mistreated.:angry: My hubby has stopped using the VA.

Vanessa, Katrina ; welcome and come back often!

Oh, my I know I am missing several of you who posted last, but I just looked at the clock and need to get busy again. I just ate soup and that spicy thai tuna and I am having a whale of a hot flash! My coworkers tell me they think I’m eating cat food because of the little cans. Wait, as an honourary Canadian should I say “tins”? LOL Take care and enjoy the rest of the day! MEg
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Good afternoon ladies!

I had a very productive morning! I not only got in my water walking at the pool but also took my boys for another short walk. As long as I only walk for 10 min. my knee and foot aren't too bad so I will work up to two or three of those a day, I think. Now I need to come up with a plan for the rest of the day! Maybe bills and paperwork.:frown:

Kate - I hope things improve soon for you with the stress at work!

Cheran20-This is a great place to come for motivation and tips! The biggest tip that helped me when I started was to up my water intake and I rarely even drink diet pop anymore!:drinker:

Sundance - That's the first thing I thank the Lord for every night-that I was given the blessing of another day! I hope you're able to carve out some time for yourself on your day off!:flowerforyou:

Janehadji- I totally agree that veterans should have much better healthcare. That's horrible that your dad served his country like that and can't even get his teeth right away!:noway:

Vanessa-Welcome! I too was a yo yo queen until I joined MFP (again!) and started making better choices and lifestyle changes!

Tigress-You gave me some good ideas for keeping the feral cat I feed warm this winter! I've been bugging DH to make something for him. He'll curl up right outside my door but flips out about the idea of coming in the house even though he lets me pet him and pick him up. At least I managed to get flea medicine on him. I have a feeling he was born outside, he seems under a yr. old.

Lin-Praying for you for the all clear! When i go yearly, I can schedule it to go when the radioloigist dr is there to read it immediately which is nice esp. since I had a scare several yrs back. Luckily it turned out to be benign cysts.

My dogs need to go out so maybe I'll do walk #2. Sorry I wasn't able to respond to more of you personally! I'll check in again soon!:smile:

Kathy
  • I had that issues too. After being a skinny professional dancer in my 20s and 30s, I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 49 and by age 52 with chemo induced menopause, my weight balooned for the first time in my life, despite spending three days a week at the Y. On the recommendation of a body builder there, I change up my exercise routine weekly, never going to the same class twice in a week, sometimes not twice in two weeks. I've been to kickboxing, cardio funk, Women on Weights (I can clean and jerk, yyeah!), zoomba (am I the only person in the planet who hates zoomba), yoga for strength, yoga for relaxation, the list goes on. In between when I do the machines at the Y I set the weight to a comfortable level, then as quickly as possible do as many reps as I can until the muscles tire. I do two sets on each machine, alternating arms and legs, then do the circuit again with 5 LESS pounds. Sounds nutty but I am exhausted when I am done, my muscles are STRONGEr not BIGGER. Good luck to you!
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Hello busy ladies! you are all such an encouragement from
    Yardtigress who has lost the humptydumpty look to
    jb who found some ribs! ( i always say there is a thin person hiding somewhere inside me!)

And also an encouragement in how we understand each others struggles - yes ladies, that mammogram IS uncomfortable!! I once commented in mid-squish that a man must have designed that machine but the tech assured me it was actually a woman. really??

jb - good restraint on that nutty/grainy bread. It sounds delicious and is definitely my weakness. And
    I love the walnut strategy. Isn't it good to feel like you are in control of the food,instead of having it control you! I love those moments - here's to more of them!:happy:

Laura - Over a few years, I also gained back 30 pounds of a seventy pound loss, but good for you to get back at it. And your goal of 2 pounds/month is healthy, reasonable and achievable.

Meg - A morning with no coffee? an unprofessional faculty member? an extremely busy day? you really needed that walk to release some pressure! good strategy!!

Barbie - wear those size S canadian shirts with pride!:love: Looking good on you! and I love the 'Now is now" reminder. thank you.

Lila - the funny thing about the ice cream is that I didn't even really want it but needed something quick to boost the calories. I actually felt kind of guilty and over full after. But I am a little paranoid about screwing up the metabolism.

Jen - learing to knit with your mom is a great strategy to keep her mind active, to spend meaningful time with her and to get that meal in. Good work My momis turning 80 this fall and is starting to lose memory. It is very frustrating for her and she gets pretty defensive. But she lives far from me so time with her is almost impossible.

Kate - Oh dear, it sounds like you have no safe place right now - stress at work and stress at home! I have been there and it takes its toll. Praying that things will settle for you soon and in the meantime - selfcare!

Amanda - one year of maintaining weight does call for some celebration! Let us know how the fitbit works for you.

sundance - oh, I hope you are able to get some sleep - life goes so much better when I am rested. I wonder if part of the link to obesity is that when I am tired,I don't have the energy to prepare proper meals but just grab what is easy or on hand, and also that we often eat to placate other physical needs - thirst and fatigue. Just wondering.

Nancy - such good success with those girls. I guess we all like choice sometimes - it gives us back control. How fun for them. And i loved the story about the books you and your daughter made. I will have to tell you about my yellow shovel books sometime.

Cathy - To log? or not to log? I have wavered on that question too. but I try to convince myself that not logging the food does not make it go away, so write it down and then make it right! It usually works!

My non food learing yesterday was that you actually cannot get out of Costco without showing your receipt! I had bought a few things and left the til and then remembered that I needed a couple of gift cards. As I was juggling cash, credit card , gift cards, I misplaced my original receipt. I thought 'no big deal' and proceeded to the door; I mean, I only had a couple of things and actually had more value in the gift cards, but no! I got sent back to the cashier, now with a long lineup of customers, to retrieve a copy of the receipt! I pulled off to the side and began to tear apart my wallet and luckily found the thing! wow, who knew they were so serious with their receipt checking/bingo dauber.

Also, a WARNING. I got an email yesterday from BMO saying my mastercard account was about to be terminated due to some unsuccessful log ins. It had my name, my email and the bank letterhead and a link to avoid the termination. Luckily I called the credit card company first and it is a FRAUD. So the advice they gave - do not click on the link and report the email to the company.

Lovely day outside - maybe a bike ride would be good. See you all later.

Glenda
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    I have never had a mammogram. I figured if I waited long enough they would create a better method. I am convinced that there are numerous better methods but no one wants to replace the expensive machines they use now. I am equally convinced that if there were a test which required a man to squash his testicles, that they would suddenly create a new test.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    I feel compelled to give everyone a pool update.

Let's see, Wed. (yesterday) two guys were here to finish the retaining wall and build the steps. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised that they only sent two guys. Anyway, at the same time, there were 4 plus the "boss" guys here marking where the concrete should be poured. The retaining wall guys usually get here around 9:30 and the concrete guys got here earlier so they moved the retaining wall guy's bobcat and started putting in the forms. It appears the retaining wall guys weren't too happy. Admitted, it was all in Spanish, but from the tones you could tell they were saying something like "how are we supposed to get around now, you've blocked us off".

The "boss" for the concrete guys was saying that he's basically told the pool company owner that he charges $900 a day and if they can't do their work because he's behind, well, he'll still get charged the $900. I'm in a way a bit surprised that they don't wait until they are positive that concrete can be poured (that the retaining wall guys aren't still here)

We were originally told the retaining wall would take 2 -- maybe 3 -- days. Well, it turned into a 5 day project!.

Right now 4 guys from the concrete company are here. They needed to finish putting up the forms (they'd run out of lumber), where the waterslide is going to be they need to dig out because the bolts that hold the waterslide in are 8", so that area of the concrete needs to be deeper so that the bolts will be in concrete, there are other little things that they need to do in preparation for pouring the concrete.

they expect to pour tomorrow. They told us that they'd be here at 6 in the morning. How I'm going to get a workout in, I don't know. I do know that I want to be here when they are pouring. They said they'd come back Sat. to put the expansion cuts (is that what they are called?) in the concrete. Also, the guy who is going to start cleaning the pool & spa (are they ever filthy!) is going to be here Sat.

Last night I made some sugar cookies and then some of the pineapple zucchini muffins for the guys.

So far I've been keeping up with my exercising. Yesterday I did the deep water class and today I did the Jillian Michaels Shred it With Weights DVD (both levels). The PLAN was to do some HIIT tomorrow, but I may wind up doing a Leslie Sansone walking DVD at home. The PLAN was to take yoga on Sat. but I may do a yoga DVD at home.

The guys are putting the cantilever forms around the pool right now.

wessecg - awesome loss!

Kathy - congrats on the job AND the loss!

Lila - when you said the "freezing" for your filling replacement, did you mean that you got novacane? I absolutely HATE that stuff, try not to take it

Linda Sundance - Personally, I think the zucchini chocolate chip cookies are quite good. You really can't taste the zucchini so that helps the chocolate taste to stand out.

DeeDee - so glad you got a replacement pumpkin

jb - good for your mom using Uncle Bens (that's part of Mars, Inc.)...lol

Laura - congrats on the loss and meeting your goal

Meg - I do like Aldi for some things, but you do have to watch the prices. I almost fell over when I saw the price of their eggs, and the price of their milk...woa. But then again, their price of bottled water and steel cut oats and oatmeal and vanilla extract and other baking goods is pretty reasonable. Like I said, you have to be watchful of the prices.

Welcome everyone new.

Looks like we'll be having a late dinner again as the guys getting ready to pour the concrete are still here and it's quarter after 5.

anjonelli - happy anniversary

Kathy - that must make you feel real good that they want you back. They're making the right decision

Kate - hon, I really feel for you about the job. In the last few years at Mars before Vince retired, he would get headaches. I was certain it was stress, but, of course, what do I know? After he retired, no more headaches. So I totally sympathize with you. That's horrible that nothing showed up on the videotapes to help you son!

M - that WAS very kind of you

Carolyn - my daughter gave me a magnet for my car that says "one cat away from being the crazy cat lady". One friend saw it and said "honey, that ship has already passed". When Lexi was taken away, I isisted we go up to PA and get her, Vince at first didn't want to. Now, he constantly refers to her as his "little princess who can get anything she wants" When we got her, she looked so pathetic with her leg bandaged and all. Now, she runs & plays, I don't think she remembers much of her life

Nancy - I love hearing about your students. You do an awesome job with them.

Boy, what a chatty bunch. Skimming the posts, I'm sure tomorrow will be quite busy. My apologies to anyone that I may have missed.

Laura - I make some stuffed mushrooms, they are good.

jane - I agree that we should really be doing more for our veterans. They did so much for us.

Lin - a trip to Trader Joe's is always EXPENSIVE for me....but good

Glenda - I didn't realize that Costco was the same as Sam's requiring a receipt to exit! I always wonder what it is they're looking for, they always seem to just scan my receipt

Going to post this before it gets too long. I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • KATRENAJ
    KATRENAJ Posts: 318 Member
    I'D LOVE TO JOIN THIS GROUP. IS IT OPEN?
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Welcome newbies.Was busy with hubby today.Sold his precious cd collection of over 30 years to have a little cushion til a job comes thru.Haven`t heard from Walmart yet,had 2 interviews.He`s sub teaching in the am.Its very sporatic,but it helps.
    Pt was on hold while i was sick,gotta get back to it,next week.
    Love reading the posts.
    Have a good night.
    HUGS
    jane
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

What a day it's been:ohwell: ! I started out strong this morning, got the floors vacuumed, mopped, dusting done, bathrooms cleaned, cleaned the fridge out, laundry done all before the doggie finished her grooming appt. Her groomer comes to the house, which is fabulous because she gets here around 7:45am and is done by 9:15am. My Noel is now all clean and fluffy and looks like a Bichon should look, she has orange Halloween bows in her hair, and orange nail polish on her toes, she's very fashionable at the moment:laugh: . I, however lost my steam around 1:30pm and had to take a nap, I was exhausted! I finally got my shower at 6:30 tonight. I am still tired:yawn: !!!!!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: , come in often and chat with us!!!

Michele:smile: the pool is really coming along!!!

Amanda:smile: sounds like you had a great time with those grand twins, I'm sure they will look adorable in their monkey outfits!!!

Janehadji:smile: a year for dentures:noway: :angry: !!!! I'm as upset about it as Meg is!!!! This is just not right and you need to get in touch with someone and get his dentures in a timely manner!!! These men and women who defend our country deserve way more respect that they get!!! Please tell your father I thank him for his service!

Kathy:smile: good for you getting your pool walk and doggie walk in!!!

Nancy:smile: my 11 year old granddaughter told me tonight that "skipping is way more cool than running". I don't remember what grade you teach though, are they younger or older? You are doing a fabulous job with those students!!!

I know there are many more posts I'm missing, however I didn't take notes this time and I think my brain has shut down for the night.

Hope everyone has a peaceful, relaxing, restful evening!!! Until tomorrow....

Hugs,
    DeeDee:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Good evening lovely ladies--

I've been lurking behind the scenes--logging and reading--just haven't posted for a few days.

Boy we are a chatty bunch. If you get the least bit behind it takes forever to get caught up. But I do love you all. :love:

:flowerforyou: Kate - obese to overweight - great job! I hope someday to be there.

:flowerforyou: Lila - Loved your story about your daughter and cooking. I had a similar experience with DD. She never had any interest in learning to cook. She always had her nose in a book. Even when we traveled. She still doesn't remember some of the places we went. Now she is a GM for Wendy's and is a great cook for her and SIL.

:flowerforyou: Anjoneill - Belated Happy 24th Anniversary.

:flowerforyou: Barbie - Great job dancing at the assisted living center. DH plays his accordion at nursing/alzheimer's facilities and it brings so much joy to them and is so rewarding. Most older people really love music.

:flowerforyou: Kathy - Sorry your job was so short lived but it is good that you have more time to declutter.

:flowerforyou: jb - I too love walnuts. I pre-measure .50 oz. in zip lock snack bags and keep them at work to put in my oatmeal for breakfast.

:love: Welcome - Vanessa and KJEFFRIES. You'll be so glad you joined this supportive group.

:flowerforyou: LindaSundance - You asked about our trip. We are going to Israel to "walk where Jesus walked". It has been a dream of ours for quite a while. There are 11 of us from our church, including our pastor and his wife, my sister from Ohio, some from Tulsa and some from Michigan. The total is somewhere around 40 including the tour director. Other than the fact that I had gotten to the point that I felt totally miserable it is the trip that got me started on this weight loss journey. I wanted to be able to keep up with everyone and not lag behind. I am a little apprehensive about the food. While I want to try and experience all the foods and know I will probably put on some weight I don't want to go crazy. I won't have MFP to log into each day. I'll talk more about the trip the closer it gets.

We'll as usual, it has taken me way too much time to post and I've been up since 4:20AM. I woke up to go to the bathroom and couldn't get back to sleep. :grumble: :grumble: So, I better go get some zzzzzz's :yawn: :yawn:

Remeber to :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Good night lovelies!

Micki
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,131 Member
    I'D LOVE TO JOIN THIS GROUP. IS IT OPEN?

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Yes, you are welcome to join.

:drinker: :drinker: welcome to all of you who are new to this thread.....if you keep coming back and posting you'll get individual responses from the wonderful ladies who are so thoughtful about that.

:flowerforyou: my day has been filled with dancing and walking and time at the computer has had a lower priority for me.

:flowerforyou: I am finished packing for the weekend spiritual retreat I am going to with 20 women....it will be at a retreat center in a rural location about 90 minutes away from my house....one of my friends from where I used to live is flying up for the retreat and then will spend a few days at my house.

:flowerforyou: In the morning, I'll go to the cardiologist with my hubby, then teach half the beginner line dance class, then pick up my friend and head for the retreat......there will be neither internet nor phone access there so it will truly be a retreat......there will be lots of chance for great walks around the lake and in the woods and fairly healthy food....I will probably stray a bit from my usual narrow food path, but not too far.

:flowerforyou: I will miss being in touch with you but will be ready on Sunday night to start the new thread, so be looking for it.:bigsmile: :laugh: :love: :flowerforyou: virtual age 37.5 :flowerforyou: life expectancy 108.5 :bigsmile: so I might be starting a new thread every month until sometime in 2054 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: when I asked my friend about how she eats now so I could prepare meals for her at my house, she said, lean meat, veggies, low carbs, greek yogurt, fruit, eggbeaters, low fat cheese and she'd be happy to have the Isagenix shakes that I eat......that's close enough to what we eat to make it wonderful and simple for us.

:bigsmile: :heart: :heart: Jane, you and your hubby are so brave and so upbeat in the face of tough times.....you inspire me :bigsmile:

:heart: Barbie
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Good evening ladies,
    I had a very late evening meeting tonight and I am just too tired to post much tonight. The meeting was a dinner meeting with spanokopita and sausage rolls and a lot of raw vegetables, fruit and cheese and cracker - oh and some prawns & seafood sauce. I think I did ok by only having the fruit and veg and a little cheese and a few prawns. But I was hungry when I got home so had some tabouleh I made last night. I love tabouleh but it takes quite a while with all the chopping and preparation.

I did read all the posts and enjoyed all the news from all. I will check back in tomorrow when I'm a little fresher. Good night all (maybe we will be on a new post tomorrow - we're getting pretty close).

Sweet dreams all
    Lila
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Hi Ladies,
    Had busy day, but I did get to the gym this evening! I feel so much better now. The oral surgeon said that the surgery will be about 45 mins, and only 1 day of down time. So, no missed school. The surgery is not scheduled is not scheduled until Nov. So, this will be just fine. Ok, so now its 11pm California time. I need to get after girls about doing their chores, esp the litter box and then off to bed. Sweet dream my friends. I will start working tomorrow for the next 4 days in a row, so I might not post for awhile, but I read everything! :wink: :wink:

-Cheran20- welcome, you will love it here. Come and check in everyday. :bigsmile:

Janie- you will post a milestone some day. Just come back here everyday ,no matter what!! :tongue: :tongue:

Amanda- sorry to hear about your joints flaring up. There are some good medicines that help with arthritis pain. I could not live without them. Sounds like you had a lovely day with your DD and your grand twins. I can just see how cute they must be! Ok, what is this monkey world? You may have told us already, so if you did don’t worry I can Google it or ask my friend from Wales. You need to move to a warm climate for the winter! It was 75 degrees here tonight at 8pm. This weekend it is going to be over 100 degrees. Many middle age people in the northern states go south for the winter, ie: Florida,, Arizona. We call then “snow birds: I think that the south of Portugal in the Al -Garve would be perfect for you during the cold, wet English winter!! :laugh: :laugh:

DeeDee- As I read your post I am feeling envious of you! It must be so nice to live in a area that has seasons! If I bought pumpkins now they would be rotted in a day. They are selling them here, but I wonder why in this heat. Your GD is one lucky little girl! I can see the big smile on her face now! Hope your legs and hips are feeling better now. Darn, I was going to weigh in tomorrow, but I didn’t eat salmon for dinner. Maybe, I will get it from Costco tomorrow, and have it for dinner and weigh in on Saturday! How do you find the time to write posts twice in one day! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Carolyn- I think that God must have told that Kitty where to go. Do you think it is a coincident that it turned up on your doorstep! I think God takes care of all the innocent’s and he is sending them to you! Don’t feel bad about the dark chocolate. That was a good choice. I wouldn’t even eat it! I really only like milk and white chocolate so, be proud that you picked he healthy chocolate!!! Yes, I feel like I am running the roads. Being an older Mom has it pros and cons. My DD who is 13 said the other day”Mom, you will be 60 when I am 18!” Well, this did not make me feel very good, but I told her that I am blessed that God gave you to us! :wink: :wink:

Wessecg-keeping my fingers crossed for you that the scale will be the same or less in the am! :drinker: :drinker:

M- yes, I am too busy. I think when my 15y/o daughter starts to drive( OMG) ,then this will help me out greatly. I hope that I can get work hours during the morning. This would be so much better for my health and family! Yes, I did go to the gym this evening! Thank you, I do feel better! :noway: :noway:

Nancy,- that you for taking that trip down memory lane. I appreciate everyone that has shared about their teenagers. Your story about your DD brought happy tears to my eyes! :sad: :sad: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Laura80111-Lack of sleep, causes weight gain. Here is part of an article about lack of sleep. Michael Breus, PhD, author of Beauty Sleepand the clinical director of the sleep division for Arrowhead Health in Glendale, Ariz.
    On average, we need about 7.5 hours of quality sleep per night, he says. “If you are getting this already, another half hour will not help you lose 10 pounds, but if you are a five-hour sleeper and start to sleep for seven hours a night, you will start dropping weight.” :wink:
    Exactly how lack of sleep affects our ability to lose weight has a lot to do with our nightly hormones, explains Breus.
    The two hormones that are key in this process are ghrelin and leptin. “Ghrelin is the ‘go’ hormone that tells you when to eat, and when you are sleep-deprived, you have more ghrelin,” Breus says. “Leptin is the hormone that tells you to stop eating, and when you are sleep deprived, you have less leptin.”
    More ghrelin plus less leptin equals weight gain.
    “You are eating more, plus your metabolism is slower when you are sleep-deprived.
    Crab stuffed mushrooms – yummy. Love the incentive to keep weight off-back fat rolls. Lol :bigsmile: :laugh: :laugh:

Janehadji- that is a tragedy about the care that your DD is “not” getting from our government. My Dad was also a Air Force pilot, probably about the same time as your Dad. He passed a few years ago, but he might be in the same situation as your DD. This is an injustice, this is not right. You might try and ask some of the local dentists or doctors that do dentures about giving your DD a discount. Many dentists got their training in the military and they might work with you. Never hurts to ask! Praying, for you and DD. I agree with Meg about her suggestions on how to help your Dad! :heart:

Vanessa –Welcome, I am working on losing 100 lbs too. I started with 126lbs to lose and I have lost 30 lbs since I joined these lovely ladies at the end of June 2012. :happy:

Jb- you are so busy with your canning. You must have a very low grocery bill with all the fruits, tomatoes and everything else you have canned. Must be a bountiful harvest all year long! :drinker: :drinker:

Stardancer 7 -thanks for the reminder about before and after photos. I need to do this also, so I can share on this post! :bigsmile:

Katerna- welcome! Those car seats are a pain to get in and out of the car! :angry:

Tigress- I guess you win as Queen cat lady! Bless you too, for caring for the innocents! :heart:

Lin-your nuts from trader Joes sound yummy. I have somewhat of an issue with nuts. I eat them once in a while, but once in a while I will grab a handful because “they are good for you” One of the doctors that I worked with in the emergency room, used to say “ If it tastes good, it must be good for you” Lol, he was skinny as a rale! :laugh: :laugh:

Meg- what game did you pick? How fun a family game night! Too much homework going on here. I did read the same about arsenic, but how is the automatic rice cooker going to cook with the extra water. I also read on Medscape that you should also rinse the rice after it is cooked! Sounds like too much trouble to me! I will stick with whole wheat pasta and quinoa! Good luck with the weigh in tomorrow!! Go Meg!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Kathy- glad that you had a productive am and got a nice 10 min walk in today! :drinker: :drinker:

LizzieAlberta- welcome :smile:

Glenda- I do catch up on sleep on the non- school days. Look at the note to Laura 80111. I copied part of an article about lack of sleep and how it affects our hormones and how we gain weight from lack of sleep. It is due to those darn hormones again! Hope you had a nice bike ride! :drinker: :drinker:

Michele- the zucchini chocolate chip cookies must be really moist. I cannot believe what an ordeal you are going through to get your pool and spa in. It will be so worth it in the end. I would be stressed out over the whole thing!!! :explode: :explode: :grumble: :grumble: :laugh:

Jane- praying for your DH. Glad that you are feeling better. Hope PT goes well. Love the picture of you and your GD :bigsmile:

Micki Oh my, your are so lucky to go on your trip. I would love to do that trip! I would not worry about gaining weight on your trip. If you are going to be walking a lot, you will probably maintain. The foods in the middle east are not fast food junk. I think you will be able to eat quite nutritious! Oh, that is going to be a wonderful trip! Please , share you’re adventure with us! :bigsmile:

Barbie- Have a wonderful retreat. We will miss you, but I know you will bring us back great inspirations.:smile:

Lila- you did really well eating at the meeting. I like tabouleh, but I like it with less parsley! Hope ytou get a good nights sleep. :yawn: :wink:

Sweet dreams, Linda:heart: