Do y'all realize that the more lean mass you have....

1235»

Replies

• BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    I do realize, however that is relatively negligible. From what I've read, a lb of muscle burns fewer than 10 calories per day.

I think that the real benefit to maintaining or building lean mass is
    1) Sexiness
    2) Maintaining muscle means that losses are pure ugly fat, rather than some fat and some muscle.

Yeah. Its not a big deal like people make it out to be. The good news is that if your carrying a lot of muscle mass your probably spending a lot of time lifting heavy things...which burns a lot of calories. :)

If only more people would "get this". And to those who feel that making it your business to make healthier food choices and "making time" to move around with any sort of effort = "what kinda life is that"? ...Y'all have my condolences. There is absolutely NOTHING that I or anyone else "who gets it" could ever say. Your growing waistline and increasing bp, cholesterol, etc as you speed towards Adult Onset Diabetes, etc while your general quality of life decreases will speak far louder.

'Of course, I am ONLY a 45 year old mother of four so WTH do I know? *giggle*
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I heard that 1 lb of muscle burns 8 lb of fat in a year.
    So i figure if i can build 1 lb of muscle, in a year i will reach my GW.
    Pity that its almost imposible for me to build muscle, but thats a whole different thread.

Nope - 8 lbs of fat would be 3500 x 8 or 28,000 calories. This would mean a pound of muscle would have to burn 76.7 calories everyday (28,000/365) .... wow, that's really overstated.

It's more like a SINGLE digit number. Even if it's 9 .... that's 9 x 365 or 3,285 (close to 1 pound)

The real BEAUTY of muscle ... it's sleek form. Fat is well, just a shapeless blob.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I am abandoning this thread. I will watch where I tread from now on and stick with my fellow dieters and not mingle with the muscle builders. Thank you for your time but I am just not that interested in drama on the internet to go on with defending my point of view. Bye.

A word of advice if you cannot handle the debate - dont post on threads discussing muscle mass.
  • BikinimomE
    Was there drama on this thread? Apparently I missed it... or ignored it. Whichever floats a body's boat. :flowerforyou:
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    I do realize, however that is relatively negligible. From what I've read, a lb of muscle burns fewer than 10 calories per day.

1) Sexiness
    2) Maintaining muscle means that losses are pure ugly fat, rather than some fat and some muscle.

Yup. Unfortunately the clinical studies don't support the supposed caloric boon adding lean body mass is purported to yield. The brain and the liver are the real calorie burners per unit of mass. Too bad one cannot gain brain matter or liver. :laugh:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Yup. Unfortunately the clinical studies don't support the supposed caloric boon adding lean body mass is purported to yield. The brain and the liver are the real calorie burners per unit of mass. Too bad one cannot gain brain matter or liver. :laugh:

Oh, man, I'm totally going to start marketing the Big Liver diet. I will make $MILLIONS$! (What? Cirrhosis you say? NONSENSE! It's maximizing your body composition by increasing your fat-burning potential! Have another beer!)
  • BikinimomE

1) Sexiness

I hear ya. LOL But the real benefit of increased mass (in addition to perhaps slightly higher BMR) is the fact that more mass = more strength = ability to move more heavier stuff = burning more calories than those who only possess the strength to lift the TV remote (as another already pointed out). :glasses: