Lost Weight...Gained Wrinkles?

13»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    I'm almost 40 and I do believe this to be true, based on my experience. However, I would highly recommend starting a regimen of retin A right now. It's actually about $80 for a 2-3 month supply (generic) and it's clinically proven to have positive effects, whereas most of that drugstore stuff is a gamble. When you figure out what you're spending at the drugstore or dept. store on facial creams, it's really worth it. I just started again 3 months ago and am already seeing visible results. I've been taking photos once per month to track my progress. I hear it works even better if you use it as a preventative measure even a little earlier. I don't know why more people don't use it. I started out with the .025% every other night and have worked up to the .05% about 5 times per week. I didn't have any significant problems with irritation since I started out gradually.

P.S. This is a prescription product, and any dermatologist should be able to give you more info.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Depending on your budgets, look into laser treatements. There's IPL treatments, which start around $250 for the face, and work to stimulate collagen production, as well as bringing brown spots to the surface so they slough off. Then there's fractional lasers, which resurface the skin, reduce fine lines/wrinkles/pores, and is around $300. You can do one treatment, or a series of treatments. Down time is minimal, redness and peeling for a day or two.

Then for the really heavy duty, there's the CO2 lasers, which literally take 15 years off, and can get rid of the deep wrinkles and age spots. It's pricy, at least $2500-4000 depending on your area, and you'll need to be under general anesthesia, and it takes a good few weeks to recover.

There's microdermabrasion and chemical peels too. And Botox. Honestly, the creams don't do much of anything at all. They are to keep your skin soft and supple. They won't make you look younger. You definitely want to moisturize and use sun screen, but while those slow aging down, they don't reverse it.
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    bump
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    using some moisturizer daily will help - they have special creams for around the eyes- it does help a lot if you use daily- also once a week sloughing of dead skin prior to your moisturizer- I have sever frown/crinkles around my eyes due to being in the sun and squinting a lot lol and they do help....also drinking water helps keep skin hydrated.....

I use the higher quality Avon stuff :)

Also when your putting this on or makeup- make sure you are nice to your skin- alot of people ( I used to) rub that stuff in like giving deep tissue massage .....this can damage the skin/stretch/microtear etc....take your time ..be gentle and enjoy the process :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Yep! That is what happens.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    A balloon doesn't have wrinkles!! I am 51 and have shrunk quite a lot. I do have wrinkles now but I think my face will catch up eventually. My stomach looks like a 3D road map but I am proud of my shrivelled body - it's my battle ground, and I am winning! I did this in 10 months from Jan this year.
    Untitled_zps62a403d7.jpg
    smileytowelsml.jpg
    Beautiful pictures!!! Good for you and so refreshing to hear how positive and proud you are:)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    That happened to me at first and then I started adding back full (good) fats. A liitle goes a long way and ALL of your skin (and hair, and joints, etc.) will thank you. :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Sorry to disagree but Retin A cream does have a lot of clinical backing for its effectiveness on wrinkles and photo-aging, especially for early fine lines, loss of radiance, and age spots. Ask your dermatologist.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Sorry to disagree but Retin A cream does have a lot of clinical backing for its effectiveness on wrinkles and photo-aging, especially for early fine lines, loss of radiance, and age spots. Ask your dermatologist.
    Yes, I think Retin A does have a pretty good record. The only thing is, I heard from someone that it makes your skin more sensitive to photo-aging. Don't know if it is true or not. I have had good results from the hyaluronic acid cream that I use.