Question for runners

13»

Replies

• pstansel74
    pstansel74 Posts: 130 Member
    I try and walk the first .15 to .25 miles depending on how I feel and then going from there. Yes I start slow, but in races its fun to pass all the people who went out faster anyway ;)
  • auntjenny74
    auntjenny74 Posts: 72 Member
    I walk until my canine running partner finally poops, usually 3-5 minutes. After I bag it up, we start running.
  • draculaspointer
    draculaspointer Posts: 106 Member
    My first half mile to mile is my warmup. Usually its 30 seconds slower than my real running pace for the day. After that, if I NEED to, Ill stop and stretch, adjust shoe laces, then continue. A few leg swings to loosen up the hip flexors if they have been tight that week.
  • I warm up by walking briskly and then starting a slow jog. Then I increase my speed.

I don't stretch until afterward, while my muscles are still warm.

That being said, I try to do yoga every day so that my muscles are always flexible and strong.

The key is, yes you should always warm up. There are mixed feelings on whether the warmup should include stretches (for some, stretching cold muscles can lead to injury, while for others that doesn't seem to be a problem). But you should always give your muscles a little time to prepare for the workout you expect from them.
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    I usually walk from my house to the paved trail (about .35 miles), then I start my run. I took this from the smartpacing website I use for calculating my 1/2 Marathon pace. It applies more to races, but is still good info.

During the warm-up, the body goes from inefficient fuel burning (converting oxygen, sugar/fat, electrolytes to energy) and waste removal (getting rid of lactic acid and built up heat) machine to a more efficient one. If you push too hard (even doing even pace), they risk using an inordinate amount of stored glycogen while accumulating an inordinate amount of lactic acid & hydrogen ions - a recipe for fatigue and ‘heavy legs’ for the final few miles of the race.

http://smartpacing.com/index.php?page=smartpacing
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Dynamic stretching and then start off easy on the run is enough of a warm up for me. I will walk for a few minutes as a cool down after my long runs.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Since I hurt my knee by "overdoing it", I follow a routine established during physical therapy. I foam roll IT bands and quads for one minute each, do 6-7 dynamic stretches (about a minute each) then walk a couple of minutes to my "running start" spot. This walk has gotten progressivley shorter as I feel my stretching is doing some of that "warm up" work. When I'm done with my run, I do some static stretching, mostly IT band, hamstring and calfs. All this adds (or cuts into) about 10-15 minutes total to my run, but if it will keep me running and minimize injury, for me it is time well spent.
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Just do what you need to do, listen to your body, the biggest gift you can give yourself is learning to listen to your body in all things, food, rest, exercise, fatigue, etc.

This! Best advice to give to any athlete! Listen to your body!

Agreed! I'm older, and have had some back surgeries, so I personally feel the need to walk-2-warm-up (I do 10 min. ea. warmup/cooldown). When I shorten this time, by bod gets mad at me. I hate it when that happens!
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    781eaf02.gif

I just do this for about 3-5 minutes then I'm ready to go!!!!
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    781eaf02.gif

What...is...that o_o Lol!
  • I always walk for as long as it takes to get my running app up and started :P so about 1 minute.. Sometimes if it's a hard day to get started, i will walk a little longer ;)
  • 781eaf02.gif

bahaha This made me laugh so hard!!!
  • I stretch my IT band. Then I run up a hill. Then it's business as usual.
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    That seriously made me LOL!!!
    That's awesome!
  • EricaRuns27
    EricaRuns27 Posts: 61 Member
    781eaf02.gif

I had to show everyone at work this, we are all laughing so hard.
    Haha
    bahaha This made me laugh so hard!!!