have you made yogurt?

2»

Replies

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I make yogurt sometimes in a thermos because I can't always find lower fat yogurt. I have a large thermos and it comes with smaller individual containers that can fit inside. It's so handy because they come out ready and portioned. I don't make Greek yogurt because I prefer mine full fat and that's easy to buy.

I honestly don't understand. You say you make it because you can't find lower fat yogurt, but you then say you don't make Greek yogurt because you prefer full fat.

Greek yogurt has nothing to do with fat. And what do you prefer, lower or full fat?

I don't have access to low fat regular yogurt, the Bulgarian kind. The one that has whey intact. We use it a lot with food, and I don't mind it low fat. I make it because I can't buy it. We use Greek yogurt differently, and I don't like it low fat. I don't have to make it because I can just buy it (full fat Greek-style yogurt is everywhere). What I'm basically saying is that when I make low fat yogurt I don't strain it, and when I need Greek-style yogurt I don't make it.

Yogurt is such an important part of our culture that we have "dairy shops" that sell freshly made yogurt made using traditional methods. Even mass-produced yogurts have an expiration date of one week for regular and two weeks for Greek-style. 99% of yogurts are sold plain and the ingredient list only has 2 ingredients, milk and active culture (3 for Greek-style because it also has salt). Basically, the exact same thing that I would be making is available cheaply everywhere, so I don't feel the need to make it unless I want low fat, which isn't available everwhere.

Ah! Makes so much more sense.

Yogurt here is expensive and milk is cheap.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I make yogurt sometimes in a thermos because I can't always find lower fat yogurt. I have a large thermos and it comes with smaller individual containers that can fit inside. It's so handy because they come out ready and portioned. I don't make Greek yogurt because I prefer mine full fat and that's easy to buy.

I honestly don't understand. You say you make it because you can't find lower fat yogurt, but you then say you don't make Greek yogurt because you prefer full fat.

Greek yogurt has nothing to do with fat. And what do you prefer, lower or full fat?

I don't have access to low fat regular yogurt, the Bulgarian kind. The one that has whey intact. We use it a lot with food, and I don't mind it low fat. I make it because I can't buy it. We use Greek yogurt differently, and I don't like it low fat. I don't have to make it because I can just buy it (full fat Greek-style yogurt is everywhere). What I'm basically saying is that when I make low fat yogurt I don't strain it, and when I need Greek-style yogurt I don't make it.

Yogurt is such an important part of our culture that we have "dairy shops" that sell freshly made yogurt made using traditional methods. Even mass-produced yogurts have an expiration date of one week for regular and two weeks for Greek-style. 99% of yogurts are sold plain and the ingredient list only has 2 ingredients, milk and active culture (3 for Greek-style because it also has salt). Basically, the exact same thing that I would be making is available cheaply everywhere, so I don't feel the need to make it unless I want low fat, which isn't available everwhere.

Ah! Makes so much more sense.

Yogurt here is expensive and milk is cheap.

Regular yogurt is the same price as milk here, sometimes cheaper. Greek style has 9% fat (strained to a third) and is sold for 2.5X the price of milk, so it's cheaper than making it at home.