What inspires you to eat healthy and ignore the haters?

124»

Replies

• LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    I just tell people I like to stay active, so being physically able to run and distance walk etc. is more fun for me than eating crappy fast food and I also make $$ modeling so being fit and staying fit is kind of my job.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

I am not saying you have an ED at all -- I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?

ETA: I'd ask the people who want to go out to eat to do some kind of exercise next time they want to hang out and when they bulk, ask them what they have against being healthy.

I have way too much muscle and too high of a metabolism to eat just salad and fruit. I need protein at every meal to keep me fuller longer-I take in over 100 grams EVERY day. Also, You perhaps need to research the "grilled proteins" you are referring to. MANY restaurants inject salt into their proteins, or soak them in it beforehand, which is what happened to me twice this weekend when i ordered shrimp at Outback and a salad with chicken at another small restaurant. You can tell them all you want to put no sauce or butter on it, but the salt is already in the meat that they serve. It is not the same as something you buy at the store. I DO have my select few restaurants that i go to where i know i can order good food, but there are MANY restaurants that inject things into their meats and I can taste that difference.

Um, is there a reason why would couldn't have a smaller, protein rich meal before you go, so something like a salad or fruit would be satisfying while you enjoy the company of people that presumably like you? I mean, really you're acting like if you go out for dinner you cannot eat at home and you MUST eat tainted meat because no other foods satisfy you. And that's absurd.

I don't really need to research anything -- sure restaurants do exactly what you say but you do realize most meat you buy in the grocery store has solutions injected into it, right? Maybe you have access to a farm to source protein -- which, I mean, great for you. But there is nothing unhealthy about eating grilled whatever from a restaurant every once and awhile -- but if you don't like how it tastes, that again is something else.

The reason you're getting haters is how you're presenting your ideas about food. You're defensive and acting like there is no middle ground between eating out or staying home to eat when there is. People probably view you as isolating yourself because of your ideas about food and concern for calories and sodium. You can call those people haters, but um, they probably just care about you.

Of course I can eat at home, but If I do, then the people i am going to eat with say, "That's all you are eating!?" and other comments as i originally stated, that was my point. I actually buy organic food, but i do know that supermarkets inject their meat. Restaurants take the meat that was originally injected with stuff and inject it with sodium again or soak it in some salt mixture. And how do you know that I am acting defensive to my friends?! I never said there was no middle ground, I just said i PREFER not to go to restaurants because I like food that I cook better. Why would I go eat salt if i can enjoy my own food at home better. And if they cared about me, they wouldn't judge as you have.
  • cbrrabbit25
    I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

I am not saying you have an ED at all -- I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?

ETA: I'd ask the people who want to go out to eat to do some kind of exercise next time they want to hang out and when they bulk, ask them what they have against being healthy.

I have way too much muscle and too high of a metabolism to eat just salad and fruit. I need protein at every meal to keep me fuller longer-I take in over 100 grams EVERY day. Also, You perhaps need to research the "grilled proteins" you are referring to. MANY restaurants inject salt into their proteins, or soak them in it beforehand, which is what happened to me twice this weekend when i ordered shrimp at Outback and a salad with chicken at another small restaurant. You can tell them all you want to put no sauce or butter on it, but the salt is already in the meat that they serve. It is not the same as something you buy at the store. I DO have my select few restaurants that i go to where i know i can order good food, but there are MANY restaurants that inject things into their meats and I can taste that difference.

Do you know why you brine things like chicken and pork chops or liberally season meats with salt? It's really basic cooking techniques and not some evil restaurant thing

yes i know, but you should not get that "bloated" feeling when you only have 5 pieces of shrimp and a side salad. I think some places use too much salt and I need to avoid it also because of other health reasons.
  • Haters are insecure people. But... I would be disingenuous if I said that they didn't provide me with any motivation.
  • I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

Um, is there a reason why would couldn't have a smaller, protein rich meal before you go, so something like a salad or fruit would be satisfying while you enjoy the company of people that presumably like you? I mean, really you're acting like if you go out for dinner you cannot eat at home and you MUST eat tainted meat because no other foods satisfy you. And that's absurd.

I don't really need to research anything -- sure restaurants do exactly what you say but you do realize most meat you buy in the grocery store has solutions injected into it, right? Maybe you have access to a farm to source protein -- which, I mean, great for you. But there is nothing unhealthy about eating grilled whatever from a restaurant every once and awhile -- but if you don't like how it tastes, that again is something else.

The reason you're getting haters is how you're presenting your ideas about food. You're defensive and acting like there is no middle ground between eating out or staying home to eat when there is. People probably view you as isolating yourself because of your ideas about food and concern for calories and sodium. You can call those people haters, but um, they probably just care about you.

Of course I can eat at home, but If I do, then the people i am going to eat with say, "That's all you are eating!?" and other comments as i originally stated, that was my point. I actually buy organic food, but i do know that supermarkets inject their meat. Restaurants take the meat that was originally injected with stuff and inject it with sodium again or soak it in some salt mixture. And how do you know that I am acting defensive to my friends?! I never said there was no middle ground, I just said i PREFER not to go to restaurants because I like food that I cook better. Why would I go eat salt if i can enjoy my own food at home better. And if they cared about me, they wouldn't judge as you have.

I am assuming your friends are the ones saying things about your eating habits, if it is just random people you aren't friends with make comments, why do you even care? Like seriously, you just walk away from them without saying a word. Given the way you reacted to me suggesting you go and have something light and enjoy people (ie with a lecture about your specific dietary needs and how terrible restaurant meat is -- basically, how a perfectly logical solution would NEVER work for you), I feel pretty confident in saying you're defensive. And seriously, if you enjoy your own cooking more -- why not just say that and leave the calories and sodium lectures out of it? That will probably shut people up more than anything .
  • Quite frankly, I either just ignore it or, just tell them I am trying to be healthier and live longer. This is MY life and this is what I want, not them. Most people support me but, people like my M.I.L. make little comments but, i jsut blow them off. If my in-laws cook dinner, I am nice and eat but, i dont gourge out and dont eat more then my plateful. She'll tell me tehre is more on the table and all I say is, "No Thanks!"

I remember when I lost weight before, she would tell me I didnt need to lose any more weight, I was already thin enough, yet I was still considered about 15 lbs overweight. I would look at her and tell her that I am not done and wont be til i can maintain an healthy weight and not be out of breathe or sore after a long day outside or whatever. She has since learned to keep her comments to herself. Now mind you she is on a handful of medications, smokes, and is considered (by the charts) to be obese. HUM.........
  • cbrrabbit25

I am assuming your friends are the ones saying things about your eating habits, if it is just random people you aren't friends with make comments, why do you even care? Like seriously, you just walk away from them without saying a word. Given the way you reacted to me suggesting you go and have something light and enjoy people (ie with a lecture about your specific dietary needs and how terrible restaurant meat is -- basically, how a perfectly logical solution would NEVER work for you), I feel pretty confident in saying you're defensive. And seriously, if you enjoy your own cooking more -- why not just say that and leave the calories and sodium lectures out of it? That will probably shut people up more than anything .

I never lectured my friends or have even told them that im watching what i eat. I only did you because of your statement, "I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?" The whole point was i WANT to skip going out to eat with friends because I know i am better off eating at home and your statement was not a solution to my problem. I know I can order healthy options at a restaurant but the point was that i DON"T WANT to go out to eat.
  • DivineRED1
    DivineRED1 Posts: 134 Member
    I've found in general the less you try to explain your actions to people, the less they have to say about it.

We're grown adults we don't have to justify anything. Eat what you want.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    I don't really care when people have an opinion on how I should live my life. I just ignore it and carry on living the way I want to. I don't see them as haters - they don't hate me. They just think they know best - many people think this. It's very common. A lot of people love to share their opinions.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Tell them you would love to go out to eat with them, as long as they are buying and oh by the way you want to go to Paris to eat in a little place you know and love. :wink: People shut up when their money is on the line. :laugh:

As for grilled proteins, watch it they are grilled in a ton of oil or butter. I eat out once a week and usually regret it.
  • I get what you are saying to an extent; if you don't enjoy eating out, you don't enjoy it. I think you can just say that without going into calories. I eat out a few times a week and I've really never had a hard time finding healthy options anywhere. I think that's probably why you are getting static. Your reluctance to eating out (thus socializing) because of calories probably reads as disordered thinking to a lot of people.

I never lectured my friends or have even told them that im watching what i eat. I only did you because of your statement, "I am just saying there is no reason to skip going out to eat with friends and family simply because of calories. What restaurant doesn't have basic salad, fresh fruit, or grilled proteins?" The whole point was i WANT to skip going out to eat with friends because I know i am better off eating at home and your statement was not a solution to my problem. I know I can order healthy options at a restaurant but the point was that i DON"T WANT to go out to eat.

Did you miss the part where I suggested asking your friends to go DO something, rather than eat and point out to them that's more healthy? Most likely, since you are obsessing about me suggesting that eating something light at a restaurant once and a while so you can enjoy companionship of friends might not be such a horrible thing.

Since, to you, companionship NOT worth enduring most restaurant food -- then only saying "I don't like eating out" without explanations about calories and sodium seems to be the best course of action. Like everyone else is telling you, the lack of explanation annoys people more than anything else.
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Or you can say if freaks you out people touching you food that you don't know, Oh the germs. Hey, these are just fun suggestions.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    I don't really care when people have an opinion on how I should live my life. I just ignore it and carry on living the way I want to. I don't see them as haters - they don't hate me. They just think they know best - many people think this. It's very common. A lot of people love to share their opinions.

This exactly.

When I was younger, it seemed I was more susceptible to others feeling the need to share their opinions (and judgements) about food and lifestyle choices. And I think that's because I was finding my way in life in general. Nowadays I rarely get unwelcome comments.

Plain and simple... the only that inspires me to eat healthy is knowing I'm going to be healthy. It's just a daily choice in the face of many choices...
  • cbrrabbit25
    Tell them you would love to go out to eat with them, as long as they are buying and oh by the way you want to go to Paris to eat in a little place you know and love. :wink: People shut up when their money is on the line. :laugh:

As for grilled proteins, watch it they are grilled in a ton of oil or butter. I eat out once a week and usually regret it.

yep, me too.