Feeling Blue - Any suggestions on how to feel better?

2»

Replies

• NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Listening to happy music.

Watching funny tv shows or movies.

Extra sleep, if I can. I often wake up in a better mood.

Time outside in the sunshine.

Tackling a project around the house (cleaning out a closet, for example)

Talking to a close friend/relative.

Writing it all down and sorting it all out. Sounds lame, maybe, but it puts it all into perspective sometimes.

Playing with my dogs.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Good cardio workout! It gets your endorphins going!
  • Sending you a huge hug! I've been feeling the same way the past two days and don't know why...................

I'm going to go on a walk and then on a date with my sweetie....hopefully that will get me out of my funk!
  • http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4/steps-to-instantly-make-your-day-better

My boyfriend sent this to me when I was having a bad day, and the laugh really helped!
  • silentnemesis
    silentnemesis Posts: 45 Member
    #1: Lifting/exercising: it releases endorphins which will help dull pain (at the least) and maybe some oxytocin as well which is the same as having sex
    #2: Maybe try buying some 5-HTP, it's a supplement for replenishing your serotonin levels (a neurotransmitter in your brain responsible for making you feel happy. being in sunshine releases serotonin for example)
    #3: Sam-E or St. Johns Wort: both help keep your brain at a healthy baseline for some select neurotransmitters as well.

serotonin is pretty important, most anti-depressants on the market are what's called SSRI's, short for selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitor-- the summarize it, anti-depressants cause your brain to release more and more serotonin over time, which is why if you're prescribed to a SSRI it'll take a minimum of a few weeks to feel results.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Volunteering with an organization that provides service to those who have good reason to be down is always a good way to put our first world problems in perspective.

Providing food for someone who has watched their children go hungry, providing assistance to someone who slept under an overpass last night and hasn't been able to shower for weeks, volunteering at a children's hospital so that a parent who is watching their child struggle with a terminal illness can take a nap... these things make you very, very grateful for your nonexistent problems.
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    I had a blue day yesterday (or what I call an Eeyore day-- everything just seems to be going against you), and I just wanted to stay in my bed and not go out so more bad stuff could happen. A friend called about going to a tailgate/football game, and while I just wanted to wallow and be sad, I made myself get up, and go out. I am so happy now that I did! It certainly got me out of my funk. I told my friends about how I was feeling, and they cheered me up 100%. It was also just fun to be dancing around and yelling at some football ;)

Hope you feel better!
  • wait_loss
    wait_loss Posts: 117 Member
    Sorry I can not help but thanks for the post. I am really struggling with the fall and SAD setting in for the winter. On half the meds from last year and can't seem to shake it either. It is more of a blue feeling. I hope you get better I am glad you posted though this needs to be talked about more.
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Going for a power walk, jog but the best one is to talk about it. It always helps me to verbalise. This is a great support here too.