How much weight do you put on when you do squats?

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member

Jealous troll.
    2 friends, 405 posts in 3 months & no personal info.....

I've actually gotta agree with the guy.
    A woman squatting 265x5 raw, within a year of strength training sounds very sketchy.
    If the record is 400ish, thats for 1 rep. A 265x5 puts you at a projected max around 315. So for someone who doesn't compete, and just started training to be that close to a record is gonna throw a red flag with someone in the know.

Chances are she's squatting high.........

Not hating, I just have my doubts.. I'd love to see the videos.

She actually said she FRONT squats 120kg.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member

She actually said she FRONT squats 120kg.

Front squats are even more difficult. so if she's front squatting those numbers for reps...........I'm still skeptical.

Not being a hater, but people who understand strength training are gonna wonder.

I know several guys who compete in powerlifting that couldn't front squat 265x5.........
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    I can squat 90kg x 4 and I started training in April, my goal was 100kg, but I just bumped it up :wink:
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member

Jealous troll.

I've actually gotta agree with the guy.
    A woman squatting 265x5 raw, within a year of strength training sounds very sketchy.
    If the record is 400ish, thats for 1 rep. A 265x5 puts you at a projected max around 315. So for someone who doesn't compete, and just started training to be that close to a record is gonna throw a red flag with someone in the know.

Chances are she's squatting high.........

Not hating, I just have my doubts.. I'd love to see the videos.

Agree.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Hi everyone!: )♥

Just wondering what is the right weight to put on your squats to keep up metabolism, but won't build chunky muscles?

I'm doing 30kg now with 3 sets of 20 reps. Is it too low? Cuz I don't feel tense after it or should I do more reps?

Thanks. ♥♥

Hmmm... let me check my ticker....227 pounds is what my leg muscles support when I do squats. My hands don't hold any weights though. I just fold my arms across my chest. I can do up to 3 reps of 10 seconds each.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Jealous troll.

None of those things make someone a troll.
  • Determinednoob
    Jealous troll.

None of those things make someone a troll.

In fact I have seen a number of informed, rational posts from this troll.
  • ilovedeadlifts

Either way. I've been around for over a year. And spend plenty of time in the gym, and I'm agreeing with the "troll".
  • Determinednoob

Either way. I've been around for over a year. And spend plenty of time in the gym, and I'm agreeing with the "troll".

I probably should have quoted troll too
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member

Where the **** are you getting your figures from?
    The website says that for my weight, 187.50kg/413.36lbs is the record.. that is an extra 148.36lbs than what I am squatting..
    get your figures right before going around being a smartass prick?
    He means the record for your weight class, I think? Which is right around where you would be with the numbers that you're reporting.
    I'm also confused b/c here you say you don't do barbell squats at all as of last month.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709749-scoliosis?hl=scoliosis+#posts-10423941
    I wonder if there's a miscommunication. Are you using a machine maybe?
  • ilovedeadlifts

He means the record for your weight class, I think? Which is right around where you would be with the numbers that you're reporting.
    I'm also confused b/c here you say you don't do barbell squats at all as of last month.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709749-scoliosis?hl=scoliosis+#posts-10423941
    I wonder if there's a miscommunication. Are you using a machine maybe?

found it listed elsewhere that she claims to front squat.....so she's front squatting that much weight............
    more than most 400 pound squatters can front squat.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I can't do barbell squats due to the fact my left shoulder can't go back far enough. So I am limited to dumbbell squats. Currently two 30 pound dumbbells.
    On a machine I can push 350. But I never trust the number readings. Just use it for reference as my strength improves.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    I can't do barbell squats due to the fact my left shoulder can't go back far enough. So I am limited to dumbbell squats. Currently two 30 pound dumbbells.

a lot of people run into this trouble. the safety squat bar remedies that problem. but most corporate gyms don't have em.....
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    I haven't read through all the responses, so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already. The main thing when you're doing squats is ROM (range of motion). A TRUE squat IS BELOW parallel.

I thought my squats were coming along, adding weight to the bar, then I recorded myself and found out that I was only at our near parallel, so I've deloaded and I'm working on my depth. I'd much rather lift less and have good form, even if it means putting less weight on the bar (well, for now anyway ;)
  • I've been doing barbell squats instead of the squat rack, so I've just been doing 40 pounds and going as low as I can.I tried doing 50lb, but I couldn't get the barbell back over my head so I had to have someone help me...embarrassing haha.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    I've been doing barbell squats instead of the squat rack, so I've just been doing 40 pounds and going as low as I can.I tried doing 50lb, but I couldn't get the barbell back over my head so I had to have someone help me...embarrassing haha.

squat rack is there for a reason. that reason is safety.
  • Determinednoob
    I've been doing barbell squats instead of the squat rack, so I've just been doing 40 pounds and going as low as I can.I tried doing 50lb, but I couldn't get the barbell back over my head so I had to have someone help me...embarrassing haha.

squat rack is there for a reason. that reason is safety.

I thought it was so I didn't have to lift the bar off the floor when doing curls?
  • ilovedeadlifts

I thought it was so I didn't have to lift the bar off the floor when doing curls?

what you did there.

i see it.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member

a lot of people run into this trouble. the safety squat bar remedies that problem. but most corporate gyms don't have em.....

Not even that helps.
    I use dumbbells and the v-squat which uses the plates. It has the shoulder pads I need. I can't get my left hand to the handle on that one. If my arms are the hands on a clock, I can only get to about 6:05. I make due with what I can get done. Still gets my legs burning. :bigsmile:
  • ilovedeadlifts

Not even that helps.
    I use dumbbells and the v-squat which uses the plates. It has the shoulder pads I need. I can't get my left hand to the handle on that one. If my arms are the hands on a clock, I can only get to about 6:05. I make due with what I can get done. Still gets my legs burning. :bigsmile:

have you seen a dr to address the mobility issues? That sounds like it would be pretty detrimental to your daily life.
This discussion has been closed.