CROCKtober - break out your crock pot recipes for October!

1565758596062»

Replies

• mschmalfuss
    mschmalfuss Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2017
    Bringing this back from the dead in case it ever gets cold around here..... :)
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,083 Member
    Commenting to bring this back - I've made a few of these recipes... Super yummy!
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    EASY SOUP FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T REALLY COOK

I make mine in my little Instant Pot. I am not sure how long you'd need to cook it in an Crock Pot. Instant pot--it's about an hour on pressure cook setting.

SAD SOUP---the name is more of a family joke. It tastes great. It's super easy to make. It's low-calorie. But it does not photograph well. It looks ...sad..lol. But it tastes great. They key is enough seasoning.
    • Kroger Frozen Chicken Breast Strips (unseasoned). It's a 22 oz bag. There are other brands of frozen chicken breast strips but most have weird seasoning. I like this brand. I use about 1/4 of the bag or about 4.5 ounces of chicken.
    • 4 to 5 Medium Potatoes -Cut into big chunks.
    • 1/2 cup of frozen corn kernels. I buy this frozen at Kroger for 1.29 a bag.
    • 1/2 to 3/4 cup of frozen chopped onions/carrots and celery. It's about a dollar a bag at Kroger already mixed and chopped.
    • 1 boullion cube --chicken flavor.
    • Water.
    • Lots of black pepper.
    • Lots of onion powder
    • Lots of garlic powder.

You will notice I didn't put amounts on the pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. I use more than most people. I use a layer for each ingredient. So put in potatoes---add spices liberally. Add chicken--add spices liberally. Add all frozen veggies add black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder. This may be too much for you. I love it. You notice the only salt is in the bouillon cube. That is more than enough salt.

INSTANT POT

These ingredients keep for a long time in the freezer or in the pantry. Except for the potatoes, I can get about three instant pots of soup out of it. Each instant pot has 4.5 BIG servings of soup for about 175 calorie a bowl.

Once all the ingredients are in the instant pot, I put the water in to the full line. Close the pot. Put it on pressure cook for 65 minutes. The instant pot will then click over to warm. The longer it is on warm--the thicker the soup. At 65 minutes, it's good. But by night time, it's better.

If you want to spice it up, add tomato puree instead of water. If I use TS, I hit the black pepper a bit more, but I like it spicy.

The Instant Pot isn't very big. I like a lot of potatoes. But if you have a bigger pot, you could add more chicken instead. Crockpots cook more for families. My Instant Pot makes enough for me to have lunch and dinner for 2 days as a single person.

h81bfp3rn47u.jpg

kyb98tv0ljx4.jpg

jgfmkf7cxv1w.jpg

• Lindsaybabe2642
    Lindsaybabe2642 Posts: 1 Member
    Verde Chicken Soup
    4-6 frozen chicken breasts
    1 can corn
    1-2 cans beans of your choice I use pinto or black beans
    4-6 cups chicken broth
    1 chopped onion
    1 jar verde salsa or verde enchilada sauce
    2 am cans green chilies
    2 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 can chopped tomatoes or rotel
    Dump it all in your slow cooker before you leave for work and when you get home shred your chicken and it’s ready! Sooo good!! You can top with avocado, cheese, sour cream or tortilla strips.
  • Ashkea76
    Ashkea76 Posts: 7,083 Member
    https://cafedelites.com/slow-cooker-creamy-tortellini-soup/?fbclid=IwAR01t6bQ6_CeVd4QGeJ7GiX4OP1KVw_VZaca374xWZmQG9PXrKH8xQusuH0

This one I've made a few times, it's WONDERFUL- I have used the cheese ravioli from Costco in lieu of the tortellini though, it worked great!